Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having Trouble with the Drivers Side (Large) Rear Barn Door not Closing Properly
There is no problems with the latch at the bottom of the Door it seems to close sercurely
Every time I go over a bump the interior light comes on with the open door light in the dash
It is only the top that is not locking into place no matter how hard you slam the door
Can you adjust these doors in any way??
Should I just get a new door
There has been no accident or I have not hit anything so not sure why it wont close
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Rohan

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
have the same problem mate i just slam the door but when u do it hold it right down in the left corner right down near the latch dont relaly think there is much else u can do other than geting a rear bar with wheel carrier to get the weight off the door

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a GQ and had no problems with that....apart from putting my hand through the glass when I was closing it one day...Problem is top left corner.... no matter what I do it just will not catch..

Rohan

·
Registered
77 Posts
The top lock has a plastic stop that gets warn overtime. Cut up some similar material (high density rubber from the wreckers) replace the stop and your in business.

A rear bar with carrier helps also.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
395 Posts
try removing the spare and go for a drive and see if that helps. i had same prob but fixed it with a wheel carrier

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mine is going the same way I have to push it fairly hard on the top left corner to ensure it is closed.
The spare wheel is a bit much for the door.

·
Registered
nissan
395 Posts
Just check the L/H/S of the large door for cracks also. Mine has cracked from the weight of the spare on it. Check about 1/2way up door around the bottom of the window.

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the rear bar is the option just need to talk the ball and chain into letting me spend the $2000 for one
I am not sure about the rubber stoppers on the top latch.... I have had a look there are definitely two rubber stops on the latch but these look like an integral part of the mechanism and does not look like it can be replaced unless you replace the whole latch...maybe I am looking at the wrong thing...
I have checked the door for cracks and there are none to be seen thank goodness.. I have worked out that is you give it an extra hard slam and hold your hand on the top left corner you can get it to close

Next is to take the spare off and see what happens..
I will keep trying
Thanks Guys

Rohan: headwall:

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Mine is the opposite. Since putting the rear bar on, its a pain in the A%$e to close but as you said, Hold the top left hand side of the door as it is being closed, then not an issue.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you have a look at the rh door top corner, there is a rubber block behind the latch that meets up with the loop attached to the car body.

Slice/shave a touch (only a mm or so) off this rubber block, and problem solved. I had the same issue, and its the only way I fixed it. The steel loop in the door frame (ie attached to the car) the latch hooks onto is non adjustable.

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Having Trouble with the Drivers Side (Large) Rear Barn Door not Closing Properly
There is no problems with the latch at the bottom of the Door it seems to close sercurely
Every time I go over a bump the interior light comes on with the open door light in the dash
It is only the top that is not locking into place no matter how hard you slam the door
Can you adjust these doors in any way??
Should I just get a new door
There has been no accident or I have not hit anything so not sure why it wont close
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Rohan
I had the exact same problem with the door not shutting properly, interior light flickering and door ajar light on dash coming on even over small bumps on bitumen. My mechanic adjusted the door for me at no cost (part of a service) and neither light comes on now and the door shuts fine.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,874 Posts
the underslung spare on the new troll is looking attractive now eh fellas!?

I'll keep an eye on mine for this problemo now!

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,674 Posts
Am now having probs with my big rear door. Some ideas on this thread which i'll try but when the door is shut I can move it about 10mm in and out at the bottom (not vertically).
I've adjusted the catch loop to it's maximum and even tried another latch in the door itself.

A stuffed hinge would only allow up and down movement wouldn't it??
And i've got my spare on a swing away carrier too ;).

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
16,613 Posts
This might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I had the same issue with my 02 DX, accelerate and the door open light flickers, hit a bump, look sideways at it, ditto.

Hunted down everything, cracked doors, no, plastic on top latch worn, nup, check door seas are not folding and holding the connection open a tad, nada, all latches engaging, yep . Round and round I go, check everything 10 times with no luck.

Finally got jack of it and got out the 5lb mallet. Lined up on the lower latch lug, as the circuit connector is at the bottom of the big barn door, and gave it two sharp smacks with the smashometer. Closed the door, went for a dive and no more issue. Worked for me, but then it is my DX farm hack.

Would I do it on my 06 ST. Don’t think so, maybe when its been around the block a bit more, but not now with less the 100k on the clock.

No tool kit should be without the basics; cresents, vice grips, screwdriver, duct tape and a good, hefty smashometer….

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
I've just fixed my rear drivers side barn door that wasn't latching up the top. Turns out the grease on the latching mechanism has gone gunky, and was causing the latch to stick and not catch properly. Lots of silicone spray to loosen up the grease and to lube the mechanism, and its all fixed. Now shuts very solidly and doesn't budge at all, no interior light flicker any more. Its worth a shot anyways.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2 Posts
Had tried all of the above, found I had a bit of play, wear in the hinges. Fitted new hinges.. problem solved, but keep them well lubricated. I believe badly adjusted rear door or worn hinges lets the door rattle excessively and this is the start of the dreaded crack.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,674 Posts
Mine latches fine at the top...it's the bottom thats got the wobblies :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts