Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for the last month, I have been trying to track down the source of a clunk noise coming from the rear under gentle load or after I reverse then move forward. So far I have gone through all the suspension bushes and made sure there is no movement in them. Checked the tail-shaft and unis, diff backlash etc.

So whilst having a look and testing what else could be loose, I put my hand on the rear caliper pushed on it and found quite a lot of movement in the slide pins, both in/out and forward/back. This seems to be the source of the clunk.

Next, I took the slide pins out, cleaned and re greased them. This did quieten it down for about an hour but driving again today, it is back to the same clunk. The slide pins themselves do not look to be worn and the bottom one has a rubber sleeve which as well as the rubber grease boots are in good condition.

This only leaves the holes where the pins slide in the cradle part that is bolted to the rear diff. When I asked a brake place about reconditioning, they said that they do not do this part WTF. The wreckers want stupid price for a nearly buggered old rear caliper and won't sell just this part.

Has anyone else had this issue and how was it fixed.

Or has anyone in Perth got a spare cradle part for the rear caliper that they want to sell.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well this afternoon, I have just stripped the rear brake to get a better look at what needs repairs.
Once I got the cradle part off and cleaned up, I could see that the ore for where the slide pins go, is not bad at all. So I cleaned off the slide pins and it looks like they are the worn part. Looks like I need to buy new pins rather than the cradle, so that is good news if I can get them as a spare part.

NOW the next silly question, whilst I had the slides apart and was lubricating with a can of Guinness, I have forgotten if the pin with a rubber sleeve goes in the bottom or top.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
If it is the guide pins you are referring to there should be a rubber boot on the top and bottom one. It sounds a bit strange that there is only one. What do the other ones on the vehicle have?

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it is the guide pins you are referring to there should be a rubber boot on the top and bottom one. It sounds a bit strange that there is only one. What do the other ones on the vehicle have?
Thanks Franky, yes they do have a rubber boot on each of the guide pins (to keep the grease in and dirt out). I should have taken a photo when I had this apart today.

But the bit I was referring to is a rubber sleeve which is on only one of the pins, it is on the part of the shaft that is greased and slides inside the guide. I assume it is there to reduce vibration etc, but as it was on only one pin, I tried it in the top and bottom hole and it fits in either. I put it back in the top for now and it seems to have reduced the movement.

I will have a look at the other side caliper tomorrow. I might end up buying a new set off ebay

Rear Brake Caliper LH RH Pair Suit Patrol Y61 GR 1997 12 Wagon UTE Safari | eBay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts