Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq 4.2 td
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

My rear brake lights on my 97 GQ are permanently staying on. The brake switch located just above the brake pedal, when i push the switch in it turns the light off. The switch is quite far from everything and I think i maybe missing a piece? Sorry for not being clear, can this be fixed without going to auto electrical?

All help appreciated.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Adjust it so it's closer to the brake pedal.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
206 Posts
does the top of the brake peddle have a hole in it where the brake switch is supposed to touch.. i can't remember of the top of my head if theres supposed to be a rubber bung type stopper on the peddle.... if there is than u need to go to nissan to buy the rubber bit if not just re adjust the brake switch

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
hey,

Can you remove the switch, sounds like it might be shorted internaly so when you press it manualy it opens up the contacts and the lights go out. From what i gather it should work the opposite way to what it is.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
yeah should be a rubber grommet in pedal where switch contacts probably perished and has fallen out so just pop another grommet in an she'll be fine

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
hey,

Can you remove the switch, sounds like it might be shorted internaly so when you press it manualy it opens up the contacts and the lights go out. From what i gather it should work the opposite way to what it is.
Nah, thats the right way around and the switch is working OK from my interpretation of his post. The contacts are held open by the brake pedal pushing on the switch plunger. As soon as you depress the pedal slightly the pedal arm moves away and the plunger moves out which closes the contacts under spring tension.

He's either missing a boot off the switch plunger/pedal arm, the pedal travel has changed or the switch is way out of adjustment... most likely the foremost so I think Grubby is correct

1 - 6 of 6 Posts