Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
GU 2007 Cab Chassis Leafie, 6.5L Chev diesel, manual, slide on Tommy Camper on back
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
Decided I'd drain rear axle/diff and replace oil there (first time since owning the car, 40K added to clock since owning). Squeezed under the car (GU 2007 Cab Chassis) and found this:
Vertebrate Mammal Sculpture Statue Art

Looks like the drain plug is either gone or been welded over and the whole lot ground smooth!
Previous owner must have seriously wanted to stop a leak at the plug!
Has anyone seen this before on a Patrol?
Any ideas where I go to from here?
Maybe a new (replacement) H260 diff? or should I work on trying to drill and tap a new drain hole through the weld? or some other better idea?

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
18,193 Posts
Just drill a hole, drain oil and tap a new bung in, you can pick your own size. Nothing to lose.

Reactions: 45/70 and Monkey63

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
18,193 Posts
Make sure you can undo the fill bung first.

Reactions: 45/70 and Monkey63

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,225 Posts
Try die grinding around the edges of the weld first.

1) You might find there is still a drain plug under all that. Who knows, it may even undo.
2) You will probably find why they welded it up.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,999 Posts
Proof that some dunderheads shouldnt own cars. :oops:

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,758 Posts
Proof that some dunderheads shouldnt own cars. :oops:
Yes, I would dearly like to know what lays in the bottom of the housing. Full repair is what I'd be doing, there is always a way.

·
Registered
GU 2007 Cab Chassis Leafie, 6.5L Chev diesel, manual, slide on Tommy Camper on back
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And what is that hook looking thing hanging off the back for?
...not sure. How it was when I bought the car. Thought it was previously to hold a hose or cable? (but no such hose or cable there now)

·
Registered
nissan
5,313 Posts
I'm guessing the bung was thrown out with the oil and they didn't know where to get one soon enough so welding it up shifted the issue to 40k kms down the track.
If you gently grind away, as mentioned, you'll probably find the original thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts