• Cheap auto locker

Votes: 1 1.2%
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after the weekend my LSD seems a little weak on it, so question is do I rebuild a LSD tighter than factory or fit a locker being manual(air or elec) or auto(cheapy or detroit)?
Ute already has a ARB front locker so air is not an issue, I've read heaps of different post on lockers just interested to suit what current feel is hence the poll.
So vote away people and comment I'm sure you will:D
And just so you know the ute is becoming more toy than daily but due to SWMBO I don't get to have a second car and leave the ute in toy mode:rolleyes:

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ignore cost in choice, diff will be a complete disc-disc rebuilld so will happen when I have all the parts, just chasing thoughts

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
When I had the same dilemma I went for the Air locker due to already being happy with the front one. It also makes the rear diff an open diff which is better round tight bends, roundabouts etc on the road for a daily driver and does not try to spin tyres too much. Bit tame on the road but works well when I hit the switches and lock both ends.

If you want stronger than an air locker the boys at Perth4x4 were telling me they adapt Detroit lockers for the Patrol diff.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
detroit is fine on the road,no open diff and no thinking about it,just drive

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Can't see the poll but I like the idea of a good LSD. When you shim it I reckon if you try and make it too tight it will shi t the tin much sooner so just shim it a little.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,000 Posts
I agree with ChoppedGu, reshimed my rear diff 18 months ago. Great outcome, is always ON! Same as you with front air locker. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts
Detroit (if you can buy them with the right splines) That way it is always there when you want/need it. Having had air locker rear in my last Patrol, there were times when I missed the traction of the LSD without wanting to lock the diff. Not a biggy, but enough to want to change it this time around.

I shimmed up my rear LSD in the ute, but that was only because I was too tight to buy a locker.

·
GHMBC #3
3,788 Posts
Detroit (if you can buy them with the right splines) That way it is always there when you want/need it. Having had air locker rear in my last Patrol, there were times when I missed the traction of the LSD without wanting to lock the diff. Not a biggy, but enough to want to change it this time around.

I shimmed up my rear LSD in the ute, but that was only because I was too tight to buy a locker.
Harrop engineering in melbourne sell gq/gu detroit lockers about $1000 frt,$1350 rear

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you are going to go down the teaked td route stick with a shimmed LSd. As it's a pain to always flick on the locker on wet roads or when your getting off the line quick.
Or Detroit if you want best of both worlds.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I voted to shim the LSD, easiest and cheapest option.

I had dual Airlockers and I too got a bit over having to flick the switch to go places that totally stock GUs were going in 2WD.

Reactions: Beerhunter

·
GHMBC #3
3,788 Posts

I had dual Airlockers and I too got a bit over having to flick the switch to go places that totally stock GUs were going in 2WD.
only thing with shimming it is if you do it tight wears quick as choppedgu mention or craps itself,Ros did his and was good for a while,richo's shattered the friction plates.open when not switched on (air/ e locker) would be a backwards step as you say,rebuilt standard or auto as dont think shimming is more than a band aid

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Does anybody do the Detroit EZ auto locker for the H233B rear GQ patrol diffs ?

I wouldn't mind doing this conversion to my shorty if it's as smooth on the road as a lot of people have said the latest Detroit EZ lockers are compared to the old ones.

I have the lockrite auto locker already in the front which I find great.

·
GHMBC #3
3,788 Posts
Does anybody do the Detroit EZ auto locker for the H233B rear GQ patrol diffs ?

I wouldn't mind doing this conversion to my shorty if it's as smooth on the road as a lot of people have said the latest Detroit EZ lockers are compared to the old ones.

I have the lockrite auto locker already in the front which I find great.
they new ones are smooth when you change yr driving style to suit,the detroit will teach you how it likes to be driven lol.i learnt quick- the bang scared the crap outa me

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,006 Posts

100% Agree. Since fitting the factory rear locker, I have found I miss the LSD way more than I like the locker.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts