Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ive just bought my third GU, first 2 were a rd28 ST then a tb45 ST but now ive got myself a tb45 TI, being a TI it has factory rear diff locker, my question is, does that mean the rear diff is not a LSD and is open diff till i lock it? or is it still a LSD but can be locked aswell. thanks guys

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just seems silly to me, both previous GU's to me had awesome rear LSDs to me it would make sense to keep the original rear LSD that had on other models and make the locker on the front instead

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its kinda disappointing really, as it automatically turns lock off once you hit 20km/h, and im just thinking about some locations where you have to hit a dune or something at some speed, im going to have a open front and rear diff in my TI as to apposed having atleast a rear LSD at all times in my ST model. or cruising along the beach then hit a boggy section and locks turned off. bit of a let down unless im thinking all wrong

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Get a wiring diagram and cut in a bypass over the speedo circuit. You seriously don't want these to unlock uncontrolled anyhow. The dog gear only has two locking surfaces and wears out easily on the factory lockers.

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
Are you sure it turns off over 20km/h? I know in the newer GUs that it won't turn off but it will make annoying beeping sounds.

For most Patrol buyers (remember this is mums taking the kids to school and pensioners with horses) an LSD is probably better. Simpler and no user input needed. Obviously offroad a locker is better. The only reason they reintroduced a rear locker is because that the compulsory electronic stability control is incompatible with an LSD and they didn't want to go Landcruiser spec and leave it open.

I too wish a front locker was an option but i think Nissan have concerns over people using them inappropriately, crashing and trying legal action. I doubt Nissan would include one for cheaper than ARB though. Lockers for the 70 series Landcruisers cost a fortune but at least its an option.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it does make annoying noises and flashes at 20km/h, presumed it was turning off but if not i wonder if i could disconnect number 7 speed sig, in this picture and that might stop noise?

Attachments

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
it does make annoying noises and flashes at 20km/h, presumed it was turning off but if not i wonder if i could disconnect number 7 speed sig, in this picture and that might stop noise
No a little more complicated, you have to replicate the signal supplied by the speed system that is being sent whilst under 20kmh. Or create a fake signal if you like.

Then you can disconnect the speed input and connect your fake signal. You have this available via a separate switch and apply at the same time as you require diff lock, or hardwire into the diff lock switch itself.

You may also find you need to attach a fake receiving signal to the disconnected speed wire, as it may trigger a fault report.

·
Registered
nissan
557 Posts
its kinda disappointing really, as it automatically turns lock off once you hit 20km/h, and im just thinking about some locations where you have to hit a dune or something at some speed, im going to have a open front and rear diff in my TI as to apposed having atleast a rear LSD at all times in my ST model. or cruising along the beach then hit a boggy section and locks turned off. bit of a let down unless im thinking all wrong
Just turn it off and leave it off until you get stuck. You don't need it in the dunes. Get your tire pressures right and just cruise.
I only ever turn mine on when I'm just on the verge of getting stuck. Straight into 4 LO & Diff Lock on - almost always works.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No a little more complicated, you have to replicate the signal supplied by the speed system that is being sent whilst under 20kmh. Or create a fake signal if you like.

Then you can disconnect the speed input and connect your fake signal. You have this available via a separate switch and apply at the same time as you require diff lock, or hardwire into the diff lock switch itself.

You may also find you need to attach a fake receiving signal to the disconnected speed wire, as it may trigger a fault report.

Cheers. I'm guessing a resistor would fix it I'll look into it

·
Registered
nissan
286 Posts
Just remove the beeper wherever it is so you don't have to listen to it.
I just removed my factory locker as it didn't work (engaging dogs worn) and I agree I much prefer an LSD for normal driving. I have fitted a shimmed up LSD now but I might have gone a bit too far.. its a little tight on the bitumen haha.

·
Registered
nissan
336 Posts
just seems silly to me, both previous GU's to me had awesome rear LSDs to me it would make sense to keep the original rear LSD that had on other models and make the locker on the front instead
Yes that would make sense but then Nissan would feel compelled to charge an extra $5k on the already exorbitant price of the TI. Also the TI was a luxury pack & as such wasn't intended for as much harsh treatment as DX's or ST's even though they're perfectly capable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts