Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m debating buying a quality set of drawers and curious what layout the brains trust recommends?

I’ve had a cheap set of side-by-side drawers and didn’t mind the form factor. Having said that, I’m 6’2” and wouldn’t need a drop slide.

Curious if perhaps the double stack of drawers on one side and fridge in a box on the left is a better way to go?

Thoughts? Pros/cons?

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm short so I went with the second option (drawers stacked, fridge at base level). Handy for the Mrs too who is also vertically challenged.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,547 Posts
Side by side still gives you room to put larger items on top of the drawer without the fridge, which is how I've set mine up. I'm the same height as you, but still went for a drop slide as it makes it easier to access the fridge & because I found one 2nd hand for $200.

Reactions: troytheboy

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,943 Posts
View attachment 525879 View attachment 525880 So I’m debating buying a quality set of drawers and curious what layout the brains trust recommends?

I’ve had a cheap set of side-by-side drawers and didn’t mind the form factor. Having said that, I’m 6’2” and wouldn’t need a drop slide.

Curious if perhaps the double stack of drawers on one side and fridge in a box on the left is a better way to go?

Thoughts? Pros/cons?

Cheers
Depends,I guess,how you like to sleep,stacked or side by side --

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,713 Posts
Side by side has served me well for almost 20 years, gives me room for options.
I also made up and carpeted a 12mm marine ply board I can screw into the back of the draws and sits above the folded rear seats, on this I can secure various things and if required I can relocate my half cage to just behind the front seats.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Versatility when not having fridge in car. Side by side is better. As you still have a flat platform.

Stacked works better for camping.
As fridge is low enough. With out having to resort to a heavy fridge slide.

Just remember side x side you still need a box around the fridge. Or else crap falls behind it when you want to put it away.

I have swapped fridges to a 40lt drawer fridge. Don’t think I will ever put a traditional camp fridge in a car ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,475 Posts
I've had both, and much prefer the stacked drawers.
  • The fridge lives in the car, so space for "normal" use with the fridge removed is not a consideration.
  • The flat slide for the fridge works well, whereas the MSA drop slide I had with the previous drawers did not cope with a loaded 60L Engel.
Not related to drawer configuration, I had the drawers made taller (300mm clear height internal) in the stacked drawers.

·
Registered
nissan
6,804 Posts
I’m 6’2” and wouldn’t need a drop slide.
Even at 6'2" you will still find the fridge on top of a drawer is a bit high if you do a lot of camping, especially if you have some lift and larger tyres. If you end up with a partner any shorter than you then you will have no choice but to get a drop slide if you have side by side drawers. Stacked drawers with the fridge beside is the best arrangement for frequent camping but reduces the versatility of the car for carrying other stuff day to day. I'd say it really depends on what compromises are easiest to deal with. If the Patrol is a second car that mainly gets used for adventure then stacked drawers is the way to go but if the Patrol is a daily then side by side, either with or without the drop slide might be a better solution.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,713 Posts
Once again, like many things, this proves there is no right or wrong solution, it is all about how it is managed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Versatility when not having fridge in car. Side by side is better. As you still have a flat platform.

Stacked works better for camping.
As fridge is low enough. With out having to resort to a heavy fridge slide.

Just remember side x side you still need a box around the fridge. Or else crap falls behind it when you want to put it away.

I have swapped fridges to a 40lt drawer fridge. Don’t think I will ever put a traditional camp fridge in a car ever again.

Drawer Fridge? tell me more!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The top of the drawer of that fridge looks about as high as that woman's chin and that would well and truly make my wife chew on my ear about making some sort of improvement.
Well...I would think that you would install it into the drawer section of the rear? But that does look like a ridiculous location in the video

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Drawer fridge is really cool. There’s evakool, waeco and dometic now. Have a look here

@J0SHMAN could be a consideration if you’re keen on a flat deck to sleep on? Might even be able to have it behind the driver/passenger seat if you take the middle row seats out

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,258 Posts
Interesting or not, I have Titan drawers (2 off side by side that do not rattle_tools in one and pots and pans etc in other) with a 40L Engel on top slide that comes out rearward far enough to have clear lid lift (just need to maintain draw slide clearance_easy as with tools in flat packs).

Sleep on drivers side full length to back of front seat. Have mattress propped up in foot well with small icebox in place that has some recovery gear in it (stay put as much as possible).

So as I do, carry the gas bottle in milk crate (secured in transit), on arrival and especially when more height is req'd to access fridge just flip milk crate over stand on base (now top) and in U go. Also use same crate to lift 20L jerry of water out of rear bar jerry holder. No fuss and easily managed and now u have an extra seat to to sit and change your waders.

Fridge stays put but easily removed if needed for sleeping two (not often)_bit more comfort may be required.. Fridge keep warmth happening as well.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,475 Posts
Before you buy a drawer fridge, make sure it's suitable for 4wding. Met someone a few years ago who had bought one, and discovered way out the back of beyond that that particular model (I can't remember what brand it was) was designed for caravans that basically don't leave the bitumen.

Apparently gnarly angles and corrugations didn't agree with it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Drawer Fridge? tell me more!
As others have mentioned. There are a couple of manufacturers, weaco, Engel and evakool.
In my opinion. The Evakool is the better fridge. As I also own a weaco CD30. The weaco has the thermostat hang down in the fridge compartment. Reducing the capacity of the fridge. And 30lt is small enough as it is.

Where as the evakool 40lt. Has a digital control external to the fridge. Later models have good drawer runners that allow most of the drawer to be exposed allowing easy access to everything.

Will search for some pics.

Reactions: jackbyo
1 - 20 of 29 Posts