Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

Over all design of this setup is still abit crap. That drawer under the fridge is pretty useless.
But I stack soft bags ontop of the fridge. Don’t see a need to put anything else on top to take the load.

Only thing that makes fridge access difficult is the big wide arb bumper.

I know you have picked up a drifts setup.
But for others. fridge slides that also double as the top of a drawer are a crap idea. As **** falls down the back of the fridge and jams the slide. They also jam leads easily. And it’s never easy to get in behind a fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Interesting or not, I have Titan drawers (2 off side by side that do not rattle_tools in one and pots and pans etc in other) with a 40L Engel on top slide that comes out rearward far enough to have clear lid lift (just need to maintain draw slide clearance_easy as with tools in flat packs).

Sleep on drivers side full length to back of front seat. Have mattress propped up in foot well with small icebox in place that has some recovery gear in it (stay put as much as possible).

So as I do, carry the gas bottle in milk crate (secured in transit), on arrival and especially when more height is req'd to access fridge just flip milk crate over stand on base (now top) and in U go. Also use same crate to lift 20L jerry of water out of rear bar jerry holder. No fuss and easily managed and now u have an extra seat to to sit and change your waders.

Fridge stays put but easily removed if needed for sleeping two (not often)_bit more comfort may be required.. Fridge keep warmth happening as well.
Sleeping in the back of a wagon is a lot easier when it's just one person. I never got around to it, but I could have easily when I had the side-by-side drawers with fridge on top. Just gets tricky when you need space for two people and don't like storing loads of stuff on the roof!

Over all design of this setup is still abit crap. That drawer under the fridge is pretty useless.
But I stack soft bags ontop of the fridge. Don’t see a need to put anything else on top to take the load.

Only thing that makes fridge access difficult is the big wide arb bumper.

I know you have picked up a drifts setup.
But for others. fridge slides that also double as the top of a drawer are a crap idea. As **** falls down the back of the fridge and jams the slide. They also jam leads easily. And it’s never easy to get in behind a fridge.

That setup doesn't look too bad actually. Agreed about the fridge slide top. Drifta (and others) at least partially address this by having a flat panel between the drawer and the slide. Between that and a fridge cage/divider, it's not too bad.

I also like the top shelf you've got there. I've been using a $35 ebay gear hammock thing tied to the grab handles which has been fantastic for pillows, towels etc. With the new setup I'm going to move that to above the middle row seats, and pick one of these up from Kaon for the rear. Australian made laser cut steel.

Pretty sure I have enough space with my new stacked drawer system to have a couple wolfpacks on top, and still have this little shelf for the roof cavity, while staying relatively light weight

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
Why not have both?

There are modular systems avaliable that let you swap and choose which configuration you can have. Drifta sells one.

Personally I think having the fridge (assuming you carry one) down as low as possible is a good idea so you can access it without a drop slide. Keep in mind that both Patrol wagon doors need to be open to access the draws (which gets pretty tedious), however once again Drifta makes a system that can be used with the small door open.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Sleeping in the back of a wagon is a lot easier when it's just one person. I never got around to it, but I could have easily when I had the side-by-side drawers with fridge on top. Just gets tricky when you need space for two people and don't like storing loads of stuff on the roof!

That setup doesn't look too bad actually. Agreed about the fridge slide top. Drifta (and others) at least partially address this by having a flat panel between the drawer and the slide. Between that and a fridge cage/divider, it's not too bad.

I also like the top shelf you've got there. I've been using a $35 ebay gear hammock thing tied to the grab handles which has been fantastic for pillows, towels etc. With the new setup I'm going to move that to above the middle row seats, and pick one of these up from Kaon for the rear. Australian made laser cut steel.

Pretty sure I have enough space with my new stacked drawer system to have a couple wolfpacks on top, and still have this little shelf for the roof cavity, while staying relatively light weight

View attachment 525931
That shelf is bloody handy. I generally jam jumpers and coats up there. Spare winch extension, shoes. I used to keep my wash tub and kit plus some bog rolls (plastic reached old age unfortunately.

That’s another item I would fit to what ever car I get next. Want matter if it’s a wagon or a Ute.

Mines all part of the drawer system that the previous owner fitted.

Reactions: jackbyo

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Where did that top shelf come from? Smart idea. Have never seen that before.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Mines part of my outback drawers that came with the car.

But found this from the above link.
I doubt they are much different in size from a GQ.

As GU’s are mostly fatter on the outside. The inside isn’t much bigger.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Pity they only make them for GUs and Y62s
Thought I posted this here, but this is a simple and cheap solution for your GQ or any other vehicle

$35 off ebay. mines just on the grab handles for now but I'll move it when I get my cargo barrier

Just got the @geeyoutoo tick of approval too. Can see another pic of it in his build thread

21 - 29 of 29 Posts