Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan GQ
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a problem with the solinoid slowly failing to the point when I started the car in the morning the diff locker was engaged, and would take forever to disengage, and it made a hell of a bang when it did. I got a replacement solinoid from phnumatic's but my problem now is the locker wont stay engaged, With no poer to the solinoid it holds the locker off, which is good, but now when I power it on, It might stay engaged for a few minutes at a time, or while driving on dirt it may engage-disengage-engage-disengage-engage-disengage or stay disengaged for a few minutes then decide to engage again for a few minutes or a few seconds. I've replace the vacuum hoses which didnt make a difference, have trid hot wiring the solinoid just incase it was an intermitent electrical issue, no difference. I've also tried swapping the vacuum hoses arpound so with no power to it, it should have constant vacuum to the locker, but it does exactly the same as above it wont stay enaged. I cant find any info about the locker in my workshop manual, so any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreicated, Also if anyone has the section of the manual or suppliment with details about working on the factory locker I'd really appreicate it.

·
Registered
Nissan GQ
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All it says in my manual is if I have a factory locker to take it to a professional if there is a problem, and another section tells me how much oil to use to fill the diff with a locker..

·
Registered
Nissan GQ
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What manual do you have? I can give you the nissan service manual?
Its a gregory's manual I bought from super cheap. have been searching the net and cant find anything with details on repairs to locking diff
I'd really appreicate the service manual you have if it covers the diff locker in detail, I'll PM you my email address.

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
when it went bang you have taken the edges off of the dog gears. That's why it won't stay in. If you have some mechanical ability they are pretty easy to get in and out, you just have to be careful of the cast iron fork that is part of the engagement mechanism. Have a gear maker either put edges back on it or get a new one machined up. I had mine repaired, new edges and cracks v grooved and welded. It held up and is still going as far as I know. You should have just swapped the airlines over at the actuator, this would have kept the locker disengaged until you could replace the solenoid.
Don't worry about the manual, you'll work it out once the diff is out, Take pics if you need to. They are pretty basic on the inside. I did mine with no manual. Much simpler then an air locker.

·
Registered
Nissan GQ
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried swapping the hoses over but it stayed engaged, until it let go with a loud bang/clang. How much would I be looking at having the work performed you have mentioned?

cheers

·
Registered
Nissan GQ
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What manual do you have? I can give you the nissan service manual?
Thank you for the manuals. have read through them but I cannot find anything in the manual relating to the factory locker.... Do you have any supplements that may cover it?

·
Registered
Nissan GQ
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when it went bang you have taken the edges off of the dog gears. That's why it won't stay in. If you have some mechanical ability they are pretty easy to get in and out, you just have to be careful of the cast iron fork that is part of the engagement mechanism. Have a gear maker either put edges back on it or get a new one machined up. I had mine repaired, new edges and cracks v grooved and welded. It held up and is still going as far as I know. You should have just swapped the airlines over at the actuator, this would have kept the locker disengaged until you could replace the solenoid.
Don't worry about the manual, you'll work it out once the diff is out, Take pics if you need to. They are pretty basic on the inside. I did mine with no manual. Much simpler then an air locker.
Can you give me a step by step, on removing the damaged part please...

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Search Here

That's what its there for, and you'll get loads of info and pics.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
x2, it was a long time ago I did mine so I couldn't give you the detail as you asked for. As for the cost it was around $280 NZD as I lived in NZ at the time. The locker should have disengaged when swapping the airlines over so there may be more damage then you think inside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts