Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

My rear left indicator and rear lamp isn't working - yet the brake light is. Fronts and rear right work fine. Any ideas on what would cause that?

Hoping to fix it myself before calling in the pro's

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
Check the globes aren't blown mate.

SAW Troll
Scotty

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,016 Posts
As SAW said, globes are the first thing to check.
Swap it with a known working globe even if the filament looks to be intact. Make sure you are getting power to the bulb holder, and make sure the contacts aren't covered in rust and gunk.

·
Registered
nissan
233 Posts
Before getting too drastic, get your hand up behind the light assembly and just jiggle the wires around. Every so often my right rear indicator stops working, with everything else ok - a quick jiggle and it works again. As soon as I get time I intend to take the unit out and replace the crap wiring. It is pretty damned annoying.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
nissan patrol
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shoulve have mentioned in the first post: globes are fine, and I have jiggled things around too, with no luck.

I find it odd that the tail light doesn't work, but the brake does since they share the same globe. Does the tail light and indicator have a different power source from brakes?

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
They do have different power sources yes or else your indicators and park lights would come on when you brake.
I would try and clean the connections as stated above and swap your globes around as they can be blown but not black like you expect. Just hairline crack in the filament.

I would also be inspecting your trailer plug as sometimes they short out. Just open it up and have a look if anythings shorted or touching.

I have recently rewired my tail lights for this reason. Funky s*** was happening to mine.

Hope this helps

SAW Troll
Scotty

·
Registered
nissan patrol
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the problem: both power wires have somehow been cut off. Right at the plug too so I can't crimp them back together. Gonna have to buy a new plug and redo it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts