Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We fitted 2x shims,very tight ,it slipped at about 600 ft/lb.so we pulled out 1(don't want it to be totally locked),that brought it back to about 450 ft/lb,but when it slips doing tight turns on bitumen the clutch packs chatter,how can I fix this? Any ideas would be great,thanks.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,053 Posts
I think you'll find that the shim a bit to thick, its midway between locked and a decent Lsd. You could perservere with it and it may relax or it could also take a while.
I've been playing with shims for a little while, making my own for the very reason that the bought ones are 0.7mm which in some fitments has fully locked the pack. Each lsd will be different in the amount of wear it has therefore requiring a different thickness.

I first shimmed mine to 0.6 and that made it very tight but to much tyre skip, to locked. I then went 0.5 but that had heaps of chatter like yours, not very nice to drive at all. Pulled that out and made a 0.25, that made it a good lsd on and off road. After about 4 months it loosened off a little, so I pulled it out a month ago and used a 0.4 thickness, that has put it back to a good unit again. Nice and tight even with 35 simex's on and no road chatter.

Try going on a good hard run, lots of turns etc to wear the clutch plates down a bit then change the oil. Even a good offroad run with lots of climbing will load the unit up. Or pull it out and cut up some nescafe coffee tin, 0.25 ;)

cheers.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
im not far off doing my LSD because as it sits now when all the tyre load is on the drivers and the passenger tyre is off the ground it wont work but when thats reversed to all the load on the passenger tyre and the drivers tyre is off the ground it works great, my somewhat idea to this is due to the previous owner doing lots of lappies ie right hand turns,

has worn that side out more then the other side of the clutch plates ??? and my fix in my idea was when i pull it down to add a shim flip every second clutch plate, will this work or am i up for a new clutch pack all together

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
685 Posts
ebay mate $10 on there

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you'll find that the shim a bit to thick, its midway between locked and a decent Lsd. You could perservere with it and it may relax or it could also take a while.
I've been playing with shims for a little while, making my own for the very reason that the bought ones are 0.7mm which in some fitments has fully locked the pack. Each lsd will be different in the amount of wear it has therefore requiring a different thickness.

I first shimmed mine to 0.6 and that made it very tight but to much tyre skip, to locked. I then went 0.5 but that had heaps of chatter like yours, not very nice to drive at all. Pulled that out and made a 0.25, that made it a good lsd on and off road. After about 4 months it loosened off a little, so I pulled it out a month ago and used a 0.4 thickness, that has put it back to a good unit again. Nice and tight even with 35 simex's on and no road chatter.

Try going on a good hard run, lots of turns etc to wear the clutch plates down a bit then change the oil. Even a good offroad run with lots of climbing will load the unit up. Or pull it out and cut up some nescafe coffee tin, 0.25 ;)

cheers.
yeah i think ill just buy a pack of brass shim and cut my own!

·
Registered
nissan
85 Posts
Let me know how you go as im going to do mine as well. Im in hobart if you need a hand.

yeah i think ill just buy a pack of brass shim and cut my own!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts