Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just noticed i have a leak between the bellhousing and the engine and i beleive its the rear main seal (and yes i checked the rocker cover and unfortunately its not it!).

Just wondering how much has it cost people?? and how long can it be left for??

also has anyone had it done on the gold coast for a decent price?

any help would be great.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Give people time. Most will answer later tonight when they are home.

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
You need to know which type it is: early ones you can replace the seal on its own, later ones you have to replace the whole housing. You will also need a gasket for the rear of the housing and possibly a sump gasket if you damage it whilst removing the seal housing. Not a bad idea to give the clutch a serious looking at whilst you're in there and if its anything like approaching 50% worn replace it. So that seal replacement is probably going to cost lots ...

·
Registered
469 Posts
How bad is the leak?

If it hasn't got to the point of dripping oil on the garage floor, and no appreciable loss from the engine, then I'd say that it's not a matter of urgency, unless you're planning a long trip somewhere, though it definitely needs to go at the top of the list of 'things to do' ;)

In the meantime, I reckon it's quite OK to drive it about the place on a day-to-day basis..just keep an eye on it 'till you get all the bits'n'pieces organised..

I did mine a couple of years ago.. It was only a small weep, but as I was planning a desert trip at the time (and towing), I simply couldn't take the risk of an oil-contaminated clutch, and as I'd previously 'smoked' the clutch a couple of times, I decided to replace that at the same time...

As it happened, there was no oil at all on the clutch/pressure plates, so for normal everyday use, it probably would have been OK for a bit longer (though the inside of the bell-housing was nicely coated with oil ;) )

From memory, the seal (complete w/- housing) cost around $150-ish... While I was at it I replaced the sump gasket as well.. can't remember how much that cost, but I don't recall it being too outrageous..

I did the work myself, but if you're paying someone to do it, then it's probably gonna hurt the ol' wallet a bit :(

:) ;-)

·
Registered
Nissan
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a price today from my mechanic and he said allow for $800. Does this sound like a good price? Also it's a 03 gu patrol ute.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
its a very very ****in heavy gearbox.

People have done it on the shed floor with a trolley jack, but I'd rather eat broken bottles of hydrochloric acid.

I dont think there is 8 hrs work in it..

Get a few more quotes.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
52 Posts
To do a clutch we usually quote 6 hours at work. Plus a sump gasket would be an hour. So looking at at least 7 hours. So look for about $600-$700 labour.

·
Registered
nissan
10,949 Posts
its simple on paper. but the shear weight of this thing makes it a big no no for most backyard blokes. the weight of this gearbox is massive. so big that i had 5 people help me when i done mine at work. plus a tranny jack and it was still heavy.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
71 Posts
I had mine done bout 4 months ago I replaced the clutch at the same time saves basically doing it again down the track, all up cost me $1200 and they took about 6-7 hours

·
Registered
Nissan
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you have to ask that don't try the job yourself. ;)
actually i'm pretty sure i could handle the job but i have never done one before so was just asking whats involved!

thanks for the useful comments everyone else. i'll get a couple of qoutes first then way up my options..

·
Registered
469 Posts
When I did mine, I chose to remove the engine from the vehicle ;)

Given that I did the job alone in my garage at home (no hoist, limited space), this was always going to be the easier option, and proved to be no difficulty whatsoever :)

The only help I had was, I got a relo (while he was here) to help me lift off the bonnet, and when it was time to put it all back together, I got my big brute of a son-in-law to help align things ;)
an engine crane made removal & re-fitting very easy indeed...

If you've not done one (engine out) before, Gregory's W'shop manual gives pretty good step-by-step instructions :)

Having a second vehicle, I was in no hurry, & did the job at my leisure over a couple of days..

IMO, the main advantage of doing it this way is that you do 99% of the work standing up, rather than buggerising about on your back underneath the vehicle (unless of course you have a hoist or a pit), and having to wrestle that heavy g'box, and me being on the wrong side of 60, this is a significant advantage indeed :cool:

YMMV

:) ;)

·
Registered
405 Posts
just labour labour should be about$600. Any more and you are paying too much. If i were you, get yourself a new HD clutch and replace it while it's out. What state and area do you live in so people can point you in the right direction.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,552 Posts
actually i'm pretty sure i could handle the job but i have never done one before so was just asking whats involved!
How I do it (by myself). Disconnect battery, Remove everything that is going to foul or stop the gearbox on removal. Remove front passenger seat, gearshifters and cover, engine crane through open front pass door, sling up to gearbox, lower down till engine rests, unbolt starter and bellhousing bolts etc, back, down back etc until the input shaft clears the clutch, lower to floor and move it out the way. Remove clutch etc.
There's a lot more detail, too much to write here but that's the jist of it.
Happy now? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
Nissan
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes actually thats the kind of info i was asking for not some smart comment and judgement from someone i have never met before. Thanks:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts