Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
Hey mate, just make 100% that it is the rear main. My TD42Ti has a "damper sponge" crap that sits between the G/box and engine(black in colour). It has a tendency to collect oil when doing oil changes, then drip. Have a look and see if you have this......just a thought.

·
Registered
nissan gu
51 Posts
Lol just doing mine now.. 80 bucks rear main seal and 700 bucks for an exedy heavy duty clutch.. damn that gearbox is heavy.. wish me luck putting it back up there lol... (2 trolley jacks and the normal patrol jack + straps and timber blocks) 306k on the clock.

·
Registered
nissan
47 Posts
I wouldn't wish taking a patrol gearbox out on my worst enemy. Don't be tight, 800 sounds very reasonable to me. Put a new clutch in while you're there

·
Registered
nissan patrol
586 Posts
Do it yourself mate if your handy with spanners. Me and a work coleague just did one in our work ute. seals are a dime a dozen! its the labour that smashes you in the face.
Me and the workshop lad did it over 2 days at work, about 10-12 hours all up total!,and thats was a hell of alot of coffees and smokes in between stages(hey we're gettin paid by the hour eh!)
If you have the tools,the time,a workshop manual,and the tenacity to say darn it I'll do it myself! well your 3/4's the way there.
go for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just noticed i have a leak between the bellhousing and the engine and i beleive its the rear main seal (and yes i checked the rocker cover and unfortunately its not it!).

Just wondering how much has it cost people?? and how long can it be left for??

also has anyone had it done on the gold coast for a decent price?

any help would be great.
Seal is $200 genuine

·
Registered
nissan
6,209 Posts
Seal is $200 genuine
You are replying to an enquiry that was made 10 years ago. I expect he will have it sorted.

For those than need to change the rear crank seal on a TD42, be aware that you need to drop the rear of the sump and that often stuffs the sump gasket which is about $100.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts