Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for anyone whose had this done a rear main on a 4.2 GU recently, how many hours labour on this one?

I have it in my mind if you were in a workshop, hoist, gearbox jack etc that it wouldnt be much more than 4-5 hours..

Thoughts?

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
i did mine about 3months ago. . . . it took me about 3.5hr. but i screwed up when i bought the seal from Nissan, coz i just bought the seal, but when i dropped the gearbox i found out that the seal was an integrated part of the flange, so it took overnight to get the whole flange from Nissan.

Just make sure before you drop the box that you have the right rear mainseal. . . you might need just a 'O' ring seal, or one that comes as part of a plate.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kewl... just what I needed.. Idea on prices of the bits you used?

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
got me there. . . i think it was around $80 from memory for the seal. . . . it wasn't ridiculous. then the usual gearbox oil etc. . .

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kewl..

Still not 100% sure thats it. I did an oil change last week and it could be another one of them awesome fitting Nissan filters. Hope to get home in daylight tonight see :(

Theres fawkin oil everywhere, and a stain on driveway around 10inch round :S and the carpark at work bout the same size :S and infront of the workshop I pulled up at this morning, with in 5 mins round 3-4inch stain on road. :( He asked if I'd done a filter change recently, but then after hot oil dripped in his nose, he change to rear main seal.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
the bottom of the bell housing will probably have oil on it even if its a filter and it will be dripping off the plate on the front of your gearbox in all likelihood because its the lowest point behind the leak. . . .

could also be the sump gasket and it would still leak down and drip off the bellhousing . . . . . so check filters are tight first and degrease it and have a look where the actual oil is coming from. . . . it should be pretty easy to tell if its coming from inside the gearbox-mainseal, or somewhere else.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea heading to soopacheap in a min to get some Export degreaser, and hose the hell out of it tonight when I get home.

will try on driveway, but mine is really old stenciled and painted a dark colour... cover the oil in dirt and leave for a few weeks seems to work for me :) then dont look at that spot again. LMAO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts