Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The drivers side rear shock mount on the diff, is more to the center then the drivers side. The passenger side mount is in the same position as the lower control arm, but the drivers side is on the inside of the lower control mount. Has anyone else notice this, or is it just my Patrol. The problem with it is that with a 4" lift, the shock is rubbing on the spring when compressed. It is very noticable as the shock is closer to the spring then the passenger side. I was wondering if this was a stuff up from the factory, if so, I might have to have it relocated. Can some else check there's for me. Mine is 89 GQ Patrol.
Thanks.

·
Registered
nissan
102 Posts
mine did the same with 4in lift till i put adj pan hard rods in and got it all ligned up right, but r/h is still closser than l/h it is on most lifted gq's

·
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I have adjustables, and I believe they are lined up properly. But I would of thought that the shock mounts on the diff would be in the same position on both sides.

·
Registered
nissan
1,089 Posts
You need either longer lower arms or shorter upper rear arms.
If you are running large tyre go with shorter or adjustable uppers
When you lift a Patrol the rear diff rolls backwards & the coil mount on the diff is not level, therefore bowing the rear coils
That's it in a nutshell
I am not going to write 3 paragraphs on the where's & why forths
Cheers

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,053 Posts
Have had 2 patrols and the shock was/is offset on both of them. Often wondered why that is whenever I've been underneath working on that end of the car. If somene knows the why's for this that would be interesting.

·
Registered
nissan
323 Posts
He is spot on and if you have a long range tank in the rear with heavy duty panhard rod and big aftermaket shocks you get to realise just how tight everything is in there my shocks have rub marks on them from the springs. nothing to worry about though.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
It gives the shock clearance from the panhard mount on the chassis.
I thought it was done to clear the exhaust pipe. All Patrols with coil rears are the same, it's about 25mm difference.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
I thought it was done to clear the exhaust pipe. All Patrols with coil rears are the same, it's about 25mm difference.
Apart from that not making any sense at all (the exhaust is a bit of steel pipe and can be modified to go where ever they want, why relocate a shock so they can run an exhaust).

who knows what the engineers were trying to do though.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GUIII
277 Posts
When you lift a Patrol the rear diff rolls backwards & the coil mount on the diff is not level, therefore bowing the rear coils
That's it in a nutshell
Cheers
I have this exact problem on my GU with 5" lift. The springs are bowing and the shock rubs on the spring. I have been looking at longer lower control arms to reposition the diff.
Zordo, why is it better to shorten the upper arm than to lengthen the lower? I'm running 315's if it makes any difference.
Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
1,961 Posts
I have this exact problem on my GU with 5" lift. The springs are bowing and the shock rubs on the spring. I have been looking at longer lower control arms to reposition the diff.
Zordo, why is it better to shorten the upper arm than to lengthen the lower? I'm running 315's if it makes any difference.
Cheers.
Not sure about GU but on a GQ if you lengthen the lower arms you have to chop out the guards more when running 35in or larger tyres. Choping is minimal if you shorten the top arms instead and run only up to a 35in tyre.

·
Registered
nissan
1,089 Posts
Cheers.
315s that 35s
I generally favour longer lower arms if you are on a budget.
ON a GQ with big tyres the tyres can rub on the bodywork.
So if a GQ owner can afford it go with 10mm longer lowers & adjustable uppers.

On a GU 15mm longer lowers is no problems & will reduce the bent coil problem to an aceptable amount.
To fix it completely you have to do both lower & upper arms
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,099 Posts
Yeah I have adjustables, and I believe they are lined up properly. But I would of thought that the shock mounts on the diff would be in the same position on both sides.

Knowing you,,, you've broken it!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy:

·
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's it in a nutshell
Cheers
Thanks for that Zordo. Looks like I will need to get some adjustable upper arms. Got any ideas? I have superior engineering lower arms.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts