Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day guys.

The wife has given the go ahead to start looking for an ST-L Y62 at the right price :) :)

The new beast is going to be used 90% of the time as the family bus, and to tow our 2.6ton boat on weekends, throw in the occasional camping/shooting trip and thats all its going to be doing...... I am debating even bothering putting a bar on it!!

My 4.8 GU handles the boat nicely, it has an OME 2inch lift with constant load springs, it does not sag at all with the boat on and rides nicely with the weight...... problem is its a bit rattly and rough unloaded.

With a new Y62 I dont have any intention of lifting or upgrading the suspension except for a way to stop rear sag.......

I like the idea of polyair airbags, however I have heard mixed reviews on them.... is anyone towing with a stock height Y62 and polyairs?? Anyone upgraded just rear srpings (no lift) what did it do to unloaded ride quality?

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ben.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Hey Ben I have seen a couple of the Y62 towing heavy boats and both were hangning down in the rear, one much more than the other. I did not get to have a closer look as it is often a bit of a hurry when launching.

Here is a suggestion:
I wonder if you can get a full airbag kit for the rear of a Y62. This might be a good option for you to have the ability to adjust for the load but also have it a little softer when not loaded. In mu GU, I am running Firestone airbags from AirbagMan. These replace the coils completely and I have a lot better ride and way more adjustment than having coils and the poly airs.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
Check out the airbags on eBay. Less than $500.

You manually adjust it seems, therefore pump up when needed and let it out for smooth regular ride.

Been thinking about this myself for my stock suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
310 Posts
Mine with the camper trailer on sat on the bump stops and was dangerous to drive in my opinion, put a 2 inch lift in and went the 350kg springs in the rear and doesn't sag at all now, and only went down a little bit with a car trailer and patrol on the back. Airbags would be the go in your situation if you don't plan to lift it, but the standard springs are way to soft I reckon. Would be interesting to see if anyone does a full airbag replacement for the rear like geordie has said.

·
Registered
nissan
268 Posts
Hi Benny

Since Feb this year I've had airbagman airbag s with 2" king springs installed as I do bout 75% towing most of the time. Caravan weighs bout 2.4 t with ball weight 250 kg.

My take on it is that I should have had slightly stronger rear springs but compensate some droop when towing by pumping air bags to bout 25psi.

Its very stable towing...not floaty at the front although lights could do with an adjustment down a little.

Something I notice is that wheel arch opening on gu is higher at rear whereas on y62 front seems higher.

After having my suspension fitted I returned to pedders who took measurements off running rail and advised it was to spec.

John b

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
34 Posts
Thought about a load sharing hitch like they use on caravans? They attach to most A frames.
The old man is towing a 3ton van with stock suspension and no droop(once the bars have been hooked on). He has at least 250kg on the ball.
I have minumal help needed from my load hitch with a 2ton van but rough ride empty due to heavy springs. Would not go as heavy again, and would consider airbags.

·
Registered
nissan
268 Posts
Load sharing hitches are almost a everyday fixture on heavier vans. They certainly help with levelling the van and tow vehicle but can generate some tremendous forces through the tow bar chassis area when moving over rough surfaces or turning sharply.

I don't have one fitred to my vehicle as I have the basic ratio of tow vehicle weight sorted ie tow 3 tonne, van 2.4.

From what I've read and experienced a wdh can hide towing issues until they appear almost in an uncontrollable situation.

So a slight drop at the rear doesn't concern me greatly.

John b

·
Registered
nissan
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its only about 180kg on the ball..... WDH is a bit overkill isnt it??

My GU tows it great, no light steering, even with the car fully loaded.

·
Registered
nissan
55 Posts
G'day guys.

With a new Y62 I dont have any intention of lifting or upgrading the suspension except for a way to stop rear sag.......

I like the idea of polyair airbags, however I have heard mixed reviews on them.... is anyone towing with a stock height Y62 and polyairs??
Cheers

Ben.
This is exactly what I am trying to achieve ... I can tell you that the ride around town with 5-10lbs air is unchanged ...so that is part 1 achieved. I am going away this w/e with my 2200kg van so will know whether it works as well with the load.

Nissan specifically recommend against using a WDH with the Nissan tow bar / hitch.

cheers
John

·
Registered
nissan
55 Posts
I'm back from a few days in the bush. Very happy with the Polyairs indeed. I have done 3000kms on the standard suspension so I know how that feels and this is much improved with 26lbs in the bags. I will probably go 28lbs next time to experiment.
I used to tow this van with a 100series TD and 350kg plus rear springs. Unloaded it rode like a brick truck!
The bags in the standard Patrol suspension do still drop a little ... but not so it looks stupid and certainly not so the front is up in the air ... steering is fine, handling is fine.
Best thing is when I got home it took me 1 minute to get back the standard 'Limo' ride :cool:
cheers
John

·
Registered
nissan
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear you there bugeye..... I have 300kg constant load springs in the back of my GU ... shes a bit firm unloaded, brilliant with the boat on and all loaded up though.

I am waiting on some quotes from one of the better local suspension joints for either springs or airbagman bags. They suggested maybe variable rate springs which will raise the back a little but once load is applied will return to a pretty standard ride height.

I am liking the sound of the airbag's more, as the round trip to the dam and back is about 280km, albeit quite hilly and winding so I dont need HD springs for the rest of the time.

·
Registered
nissan
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Johnoooo.... What was the cost of the Firestone bags?

My local shop has quoted me $850 fitted for the HP versions. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
nissan
268 Posts
The spring details were king KDFR 302 and KDRR 303
Pedders airbags 495092 - Air Assist fitting instructions part no 495092.

Costs were springs 495; airbags 380; fitting approx 590.

John b

·
Registered
nissan
207 Posts
Hey mate, I have found airbagsales.net.au on the web..
they quote approx. $310 for normal bags and an extra $150 for the HP bags..

I reckon they must be allowing for around 3 hours labour at that price..

pretty easy to fit if you take alittle time

cheers

squiz

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Both me and my old man have y62s, his is a ST-L and his boat is 3.5t (at least! -27 ft Sailfish) and mine is a Ti-L and my boat is 2.8t ( the Chris Craft). Both of us tow without levelling and we have minimal rear squat. Not sure why people have issues? Load balance on trailers?

Attachments

Reactions: tempestv8

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y62
41 Posts
Had the new towbar put on my TI-L yesterday so thought I had better pull the boat out of the backyard and whipper snip & mow at the same time i can check suspension sag with my fat arse boat on the back , suspension sagged 6.5cm airbags will be next add on , must admit I did tow the boat around the block just to see how she pulls 3.4t and still have a smile on my dial, love this car.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
That's a big sag! Let us know how the airbags go. Due for this early jan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts