Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to see if there is much interest in a rear bar with winch mount.

At the moment most people mount their winch in the bullbar because only bullbars have winch mounts, but for a number of reasons I reckon mounting a winch at the rear is alot better idea.

So what do you guys think, if a quality rear bar with winch mount was available would their be much interest?

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Offroad Devision was making these for GUs

Reactions: steely

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
I reckon mounting a winch at the rear is alot better idea.
I think you need to tell us exactly what your reasons are. A hi-lift jack, chain and extension straps can be used to winch a vehicle backwards, and despite being slow and hard work is perfectly doable if you are truly stuck.

A rear mount winch might be suitable for a tourer when you are happy to back out and take another route but for anyone who comes across undriveable obstacles and doesn't want to turn around a bullbar mounted winch is the way to go.

I couldn't see many people getting a rear winch over a front winch. And getting two winches adds a lot of cost and weight.

The added departure angle would make it hard to market towards more hardcore 4wders.

I guess if it was well designed and cost effective then you'd probably be able to sell a few, but certainly only a fraction of the the regular rear bars.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
Uneek 4x4 have a rear tyre carrier with an optional winch mount, personally I like the idea of a rear winch. I would buy a cheap aldi winch (or other winch under $500) for the rear and have it as a backup. Whether it'd get much use would be another question, the front winch unfortunately (or fortunately) doesn't get used too much either.

Nissan GU patrol rear bumper and tyre carrier

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm definitely putting a rear winch bar on my GU wagon, just a matter of buying built or building my own.
Due to time constraints buying one would be preferable if I find something I like that's reasonably priced

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you need to tell us exactly what your reasons are. A hi-lift jack, chain and extension straps can be used to winch a vehicle backwards, and despite being slow and hard work is perfectly doable if you are truly stuck.

A rear mount winch might be suitable for a tourer when you are happy to back out and take another route but for anyone who comes across undriveable obstacles and doesn't want to turn around a bullbar mounted winch is the way to go.

I couldn't see many people getting a rear winch over a front winch. And getting two winches adds a lot of cost and weight.

The added departure angle would make it hard to market towards more hardcore 4wders.

I guess if it was well designed and cost effective then you'd probably be able to sell a few, but certainly only a fraction of the the regular rear bars.

No worries mate, the reasons I think that a rear winch is better than a front winch if only one winch is to be fitted to a vehicle are.

- firstly reliability. A bullbar mounted winch is subject to very harsh conditions. It cops driving rain, mud, insects, it gets dunked in mud holes and water crossings. There's no more punishing an environment for a winch to live than on a bullbar. There's been many occasions when fellas Ive been wheeling with have gone to use their winch and it won't work. Even fellas who regularly maintain their winches.
A rear mounted winch lives a much easier life and is more likely to work when you need it.

- weight distribution. Most vehicles are heavier at the front than the rear so moving the winch to the rear helps.

- yes, a rear winch would increase departure angles, but a bullbar mounted winch increases approach angles, but people accept it as a compromise.

- unless a person is going hardcore adventuring, I believe a rear recovery is more useful. When you've gotten stuck a rear winch allows you to recover back wards in the tracks you've just made where you know it's safe/possible to drive, at which point you can assess the situation and pick another line.
A front winch only allows you to winch forward, possibly further into trouble or the unknown.

- In a Patrol it's unlikely you'll have to recover yourself, but it is likely you'll have to recover the Landcruiser that's trying to follow you, hahaha.

- a rear winch can be used to help load a trailer, eg boat/car trailer.

I'm sure I had thought of some other reasons, but they're not coming to me at the moment,, I do know though that my mid-mounted winch has done many more rear recoverys than front.

I know if I was just touring around I would certainly prefer a rear winch over a front winch.

Also, I wasn't aware that anyone else was making a rear winch bar and figured I might fill a gap in the market and give people the option, but now I see they are available I'll probably give it a miss

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Yes I had been thinking about it because of the number of times I have been stuck when the boat trailer digs into the sand. I have quite often had to un-hitch turn around, winch it out, turn back around to hitch up and go again. Slow and painful process that could be easier with a rear winch.

But I have just fitted a Kaymar bar now as I wanted one that included the towbar. Hmm, wonder if there is enough room to modify it?

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I had been thinking about it because of the number of times I have been stuck when the boat trailer digs into the sand. I have quite often had to un-hitch turn around, winch it out, turn back around to hitch up and go again. Slow and painful process that could be easier with a rear winch.

But I have just fitted a Kaymar bar now as I wanted one that included the towbar. Hmm, wonder if there is enough room to modify it?
Yeah I'm sure it could be modified to fit a winch, just might have to sacrifice a bit of departure angle.

I'm not familiar with the Kaymar bars, but the mounting might need to be improved at the same time.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
How does the cabling go running a winch to the rear? Obviously you'd need even thicker cable than when front mounted?

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How does the cabling go running a winch to the rear? Obviously you'd need even thicker cable than when front mounted?
Yeah you'd need to run adequate/heavier cables to suit.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,229 Posts
I have a rear winch on my ute. I now use it more than my front winch. The only problem is getting power to it. It needs thick as **** cable

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, you've gotta offer the people what they want and with rear bars I think people seem to prefer folded plate?

I'm open to suggestions regarding materials, design ect.

Price? Well I'd have to work that out once I have a design.

But in the end, unless people really want something specific that isn't otherwise available, it's probably not worth me going ahead with it when there are already rear winch bars on the market.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,613 Posts
Rear mount twin 6hp gigglepin for the win!!!

Can't say I've ever thought I'd want a rear winch, but that could be because, not having one, I've never considered the option as I've naturally stood at the front of the car and sussed out my options.

I must say the last two times I've used it were to pull me through a river (Cape York) and a swamp (Kimberley). Now the river... I wanted to get through it, not go back where I came from, so a rear mount would not have been an option. As for the swamp, I had the camper trailer on, so unless the winch was mounted to the rear of the camper it wouldn't have been much good. I'd suggest for people who usually have campers on a rear winch would be not much good at all.

Now the time before that... I was up a hill, and a mate got stuck half way up. I had to turn around, winch him up, and turn around again, in a precarious spot. A rear winch would have been great then. But on one occasion when turning was impossible I attached the other car to the back of mine and winched myself forward. I wasn't bogged so my car offered little resistance, so I pulled us both up without too much drama.

Usually I am trying to get from A to B, not from A, halfway to B, then back to A.

There will always be circumstances where it's better to go one way rather than the other, so the only way to cover your arse is to have winches at both ends, or a single mid mount like Jason's that operates from either end.

As for the Kaymar rear bar Jason they are probably mounted more securely to a GU than anything else on the market, so if you could make a winch fit into one of them you'd have no probs whatsoever. In fact if you cut out that bit in the middle that mounts the rear tow loop in a standard bumper in a GU IV, you may even have almost enough room to fit a low mount without too much mods... Hmmm... Maybe Geordie could measure the gap and see how close we get?

Reactions: steely

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Rear winches aren't for getting to that fishing spot;)
They are for hitting the tracks and getting nowhere.
And they are good for camper trailers as you can winch the trailer up a hill behind you without turning your car around.
Although I would never tow a tent anyway. Cheers:beer:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rear mount twin 6hp gigglepin for the win!!!

Can't say I've ever thought I'd want a rear winch, but that could be because, not having one, I've never considered the option as I've naturally stood at the front of the car and sussed out my options.

I must say the last two times I've used it were to pull me through a river (Cape York) and a swamp (Kimberley). Now the river... I wanted to get through it, not go back where I came from, so a rear mount would not have been an option. As for the swamp, I had the camper trailer on, so unless the winch was mounted to the rear of the camper it wouldn't have been much good. I'd suggest for people who usually have campers on a rear winch would be not much good at all.

Now the time before that... I was up a hill, and a mate got stuck half way up. I had to turn around, winch him up, and turn around again, in a precarious spot. A rear winch would have been great then. But on one occasion when turning was impossible I attached the other car to the back of mine and winched myself forward. I wasn't bogged so my car offered little resistance, so I pulled us both up without too much drama.

Usually I am trying to get from A to B, not from A, halfway to B, then back to A.

There will always be circumstances where it's better to go one way rather than the other, so the only way to cover your arse is to have winches at both ends, or a single mid mount like Jason's that operates from either end.

As for the Kaymar rear bar Jason they are probably mounted more securely to a GU than anything else on the market, so if you could make a winch fit into one of them you'd have no probs whatsoever. In fact if you cut out that bit in the middle that mounts the rear tow loop in a standard bumper in a GU IV, you may even have almost enough room to fit a low mount without too much mods... Hmmm... Maybe Geordie could measure the gap and see how close we get?

Yeah good points there, maybe a rear winch would get more use when playing rather than touring, most of the time people would just wanna keep moving forward when they're on their way to a fishing/camping spot.

I suppose it's a matter of how many people, tourers and wheelers, would want the rear winch as an option.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts