Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4x4 nissan
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one done a rear winch for a gu patrol wagon if so any photos or thread would help

·
Registered
nissan
240 Posts
thears no room so get one that gos in the tow bar unless u take out fuel tank

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've put winch inside custom made bullbar. This decreases departure angle quite a lot, comparing to no bar at all, but is okay if compared to ARB bar.

Later I replaced those cable rollers with a simple hawse-hole.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
831 Posts
Was just a thought,i wonder if you had a front winch you could somehow run the cable underneath the vehicle out to the rear to winch yourself backwards?

·
Registered
nissan
240 Posts
since i fist read thiss (got the cogs turning ) have thought about fiting one up as have a winch for the job was looking at cuting the rear cros member out n making a new one with a mount well be looking at doing this in the next month or so but will be hard to put the grinder to the new 08 4.8 that i have just brought will post some pic up as i do it

·
Registered
nissan
118 Posts
There is a guy on perth4x4 and probably on here to that has a GU ute with the winch mounted between the chassis rails behind the cab facing backwards then has 2 pulleys at the rear where a 3rd block can be attached for rear pulls. The cable then runs through the left chassis rail and up to the front of the vehicle for forward pulls.
Very clever set up and the winch will always be pulling thru one block at least so less strain on it.

·
Registered
nissan
240 Posts
There is a guy on perth4x4 and probably on here to that has a GU ute with the winch mounted between the chassis rails behind the cab facing backwards then has 2 pulleys at the rear where a 3rd block can be attached for rear pulls. The cable then runs through the left chassis rail and up to the front of the vehicle for forward pulls.
Very clever set up and the winch will always be pulling thru one block at least so less strain on it.

yes it dose work if u have a ute hard to fit on a wagon but the winch will have to over come the restance off 2pulleys with no decreas in load so whould be less eficent morer strain on it not less you onley get less if u do a dubble line pull

·
Registered
131 Posts
nsn42t,

I've estimated this design. There is too little place in there. You need not only cut frame but also fuel tank, to place winch there. And you probably don't want some winch lesser than 9000 pound for Patrol.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
831 Posts
What if you just ran the cable back under your axles,etc & had that heavy duty nylon friction stuff(like cutting board material) covering likely areas the cable is going to contact with?

·
Registered
52 Posts
When your upto your elbows in slurry, the last thing you will want to do is crawl under your truck and feed a cable under it, just go with a mate to winch you out backwards. lol

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
I also have been considering this for a while..and have concluded :

you will have to remove or modify the fuel tank ( my proposed solution is to go for a long range tank and remove the current main tank )

I dont think you really need to go the whole hog with winch size ( its almost always easier to winch back out the way you came in than further into the mire ) + you can always double line pull.
Having said that the smaller winches are not that much smaller in physical size but every cm counts I suppose.

·
Registered
Nissan GQ Patrol
33 Posts
just a quick thought, why not mount one to the floor inside the wagons boot. takes up space but worth it if you use it often enoughjust need to leave doors open when winching.

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
why not just do what the first pic does. and mount it at the back. imo not much more room taken up than the normal rear step. and no chopping, modifying or removing tanks or cross members. use a hawse fairland and bobs your uncle. easy as.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts