Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people about to start my rebuild and would appreciate your advice.
Car is in great condition and just drove home 7 hrs from Mildura to Melbourne Sth East. 342000 km on the clock and didn't miss a beat. 4.2 turbo Diesal.
Lots of things to add. Two pictures, As is and what i would like it to look like.
Anything i do i would like to suit a reco latter when needed. Bugget is 20k at $500 per wk.
My Brother inlaw is a mechanic and not that i am relying on him completely but he could be extremely helpful at times.
More into racecars and very successful.
My Plan is to go for peformance first. Then interior(This pleases the missus) then suspension. I have a couple of trips planned. First is Queens birthday in the high Country. Performance needed. Then Fraser Island in October where the wife will be coming and the interior is the main thing for her. I have the box already so will be working on that in between. Idea thou will be helpfull. Supension at the moment should be find for both of the above trips for now. 1st Stage 3" stainless exhaust, Black Snorkel similar to pic. New air intake and intercooler. Please help me decide what to buy and where as i have no idea. Everyone says their product is the best and i am lost. Thanks in advance. Will post photos of upgrade as they happen.

Currently
final look or similar.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,505 Posts
Ok, I will admit to being confused. You talk about performance being priority number one and you give me a picture of what you want it to look like. Looks do not equal performance. You have given us no info at all except for you say it drove home and it went well, but then you say you have a new gearbox for it??????

The only comment I can make is the snorkel in your pic is not the best for performance. Straight cup pipes facing backwards are good on comp trucks, but not good for airflow. A forward facing ram head is a better option.

You need to tell us what your requirements are. Do you want to make 200kw and 750nm at the wheels, or are you happy with 130kw & 450nm????

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not after building a race car, just a tuff 4wd that will go nearly anywhere. When i said i have the box i am talking about the rear apartment box on the tray.
I have done some research on snorkels and even on this site and hear different arguments for both. So that is why i am putting it out to you guys to help me make the right discussion. "Dont what a comp truck but a tuff touring truck" Hope this helps. Thanks

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,337 Posts
Have a look at my thread mate..might get some ideas.

·
Registered
nissan gq
393 Posts
As Shayne said above those snorkels may look good but they actually hurt performance. They will give half an inch of mercury restriction, any machine around the world has a little gauge on the air filter that tells you when you air filter is blocked at half an inch the filter is blocked and due to be changed. Just to give you an idea how much half an inch relates to.
Personally I think suspension comes under performance but that's just me, and a happy wife means a happy life:)

Jim

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I have done some research on snorkels and even on this site and hear different arguments for both.
Where on this site. You will not find info on this site supporting the rear facing snorkel as better for performance, quite the opposite.
I would say don't get carried away with the bling and the look, which is what I get from your after photo.

The snorkel is the last thing you "need". Plenty of Patrols making decent power with stock snorkels and airboxes. They will help but the gains are small for the dollar spent and are mostly just small driveability improvements.
Exhaust is good improvement.
Turbo is good improvement.
Decent catch can is important.
Manifold is small driveability
Airbox is small driveability
Snorkel (forward facing ) is small driveability. Rear facing is barely useful. May as well stick with standard.
Standard factory snorkel with the front inner section modified is probably just as good for moderate power.

You need to read some threads and decide what level of performance you are chasing then work out the plan to achieve that.

I'm assuming by what you posted that this is a new to you vehicle and the 7hr trip is the most time you have spent with it. In which case the first thing I would be doing is reading up in here about tuning the stock set up up a bit with a decent exhaust and see how it runs. Or get it on a dyno and get the same done and see what it runs like. If everything is stock at that mileage then you need to find out how the injectors and pump are as there is no point chasing power if these things are worn.

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,337 Posts
its called 45's 42

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its called 45's 42
Very inpressed with your Ride. I wouldn't have a problem eating my lunch of your engine. Did enquire about the Taipan Exhaust and they never got back to me. Is it SS and do you think they are worth the extra $?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As Shayne said above those snorkels may look good but they actually hurt performance. They will give half an inch of mercury restriction, any machine around the world has a little gauge on the air filter that tells you when you air filter is blocked at half an inch the filter is blocked and due to be changed. Just to give you an idea how much half an inch relates to.
Personally I think suspension comes under performance but that's just me, and a happy wife means a happy life:)

Jim
Sry but dont understand. Are you saying that the mercury is generated from the steel and sucked into the filter and how long would this buildup take before it is a problem? Cheers.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for you
Where on this site. You will not find info on this site supporting the rear facing snorkel as better for performance, quite the opposite.
I would say don't get carried away with the bling and the look, which is what I get from your after photo.

The snorkel is the last thing you "need". Plenty of Patrols making decent power with stock snorkels and airboxes. They will help but the gains are small for the dollar spent and are mostly just small driveability improvements.
Snorkel (forward facing ) is small driveability. Rear facing is barely useful. May as well stick with standard.
Standard factory snorkel with the front inner section modified is probably just as good for moderate power.

You need to read some threads and decide what level of performance you are chasing then work out the plan to achieve that.

I'm assuming by what you posted that this is a new to you vehicle and the 7hr trip is the most time you have spent with it. In which case the first thing I would be doing is reading up in here about tuning the stock set up up a bit with a decent exhaust and see how it runs. Or get it on a dyno and get the same done and see what it runs like. If everything is stock at that mileage then you need to find out how the injectors and pump are as there is no point chasing power if these things are worn.
r

Thanks for your reply. I Think you all have me wrong and maybe i have posted the wrong pic. I am not chasing bling over performance. I posted this pic as the setup and colour scheme is what i am after more white then the standard black trays black bull bar ect. Also choose this pic as it also has the compartment box on it as well. Not interested in the flash mags nor the bling on the bull bar. Do like the top halve black and the rest white thou. But paint will be the last thing i do. Thanks for going to the trouble and listing out what you believe is priority.
I would also put supension down as performance as well. I will be also putting this off as the hight is fine for the moment and untill i complete my compartment setup and sortout want weight it will need to take. Never had catchcan on my list and didnt even know anything about them. Since you mention i had to look up and will look at installing one. Would you recommend one to me. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Put the box on yesterday. Rear did drop 50mm. Box is around 350 - 400kg. We have a weight bridge across the rd from our factory and i will put it ocer it and find out for sure. Once i finish it and stock it i would assume i be around 600 kg. Box fits good except for the overhang by 200mm. I will be chopping this down as i thing the box looks out of proportion to the vehicle.

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,337 Posts
The catch can is called a provent 200. Google westernn filters.
The Taipan exhaust on mine is the aluminized version.. It was fitted when I purchased the ute, dont thnk I would bother with stainless to expennsive..If you want to save some $$..
There Is a thread somewhere on the forum for a home made catch can..Send geeyoutoo a message he will put you on thr right track.
If Iwas you, I would be def fitting a brace to your rear coil towers to help with the weight of canopy they are a bit flimsy in that area.
Def looks better with canopy on it.

·
Registered
nissan gq
393 Posts
Sry but dont understand. Are you saying that the mercury is generated from the steel and sucked into the filter and how long would this buildup take before it is a problem? Cheers.
Inches of mercury is a way of measuring partial vacuum. So when you have a blocked air filter there is a partial vacuum between the engine and the air filter (the filter is a air restriction). So one of those snorkels with a straight cut open pipe causes as much of an air restriction as a blocked air filter.

jim

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The catch can is called a provent 200. Google westernn filters.
The Taipan exhaust on mine is the aluminized version.. It was fitted when I purchased the ute, dont thnk I would bother with stainless to expennsive..If you want to save some $$..
There Is a thread somewhere on the forum for a home made catch can..Send geeyoutoo a message he will put you on thr right track.
If Iwas you, I would be def fitting a brace to your rear coil towers to help with the weight of canopy they are a bit flimsy in that area.
Def looks better with canopy on it.
Whats the difference between Dx 4.2 and TD 4.2. Is it one has the Turbo and one doesn't?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Inches of mercury is a way of measuring partial vacuum. So when you have a blocked air filter there is a partial vacuum between the engine and the air filter (the filter is a air restriction). So one of those snorkels with a straight cut open pipe causes as much of an air restriction as a blocked air filter.

jim
Sry for being dumb! But dont quite understand. But also smart enough to listen. So do i go for the Nissan factory or ARB?

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,934 Posts
Sry for being dumb! But dont quite understand. But also smart enough to listen. So do i go for the Nissan factory or ARB?
I have a genuine one and have no issues with it. It was made by TJM, so it's fairly similar to the Airtec one, which is TJM's aftermarket brand.

I don't like the look of the ARB (Safari) ones but they do have one advantage in that you can turn the head 180deg. Everything people said above about rear facing snorkels being more restrictive is correct however, it is recommended to turn the snorkel head around when driving in heavy rain or snow to reduce unnecessary induction of water.

Forward facing, I don't think there's much in it between Nissan Genuine, Airtec and Safari. Comes down to personal preference.

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,337 Posts
Whats the difference between Dx 4.2 and TD 4.2. Is it one has the Turbo and one doesn't?
All of the 4.2 diesels were td's regardless of being turboed or na..
DX or ST were trim levels.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts