Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Temp wheels of my sons Ranger. While i get the others cleanup. Didnt know that they woul fit. Good thing to know if you get caught out in the bush.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Whoa, slow down....and sack your mechanic.
A 2001 TD does not have EGR for.one thing.
That pic, if you are referring to the short hose, is the boost signal for the wastegate actuator which is in the turbine housing for the turbo. This regulates boost by opening the gate as boost gets too high and acts on the vacuum actuator which is the little can. The way to tune your boost is to put a bleed valve in that line so.ypu can fool the actuator in a controlled manner. Blocking that line will leave the gate shut and allow the turbo to boost uncontrolled in certain conditions. Not good on a HT18 that is way past its efficiency once it gets into the teens.
The thing you need to check is blocked when you up boost is the overboost valve that is or was in your elbow into the manifold.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Carpet on the door trims. Not sure who the designer was that decided to put carpet on the door trim and seats that most likely was printed in the early seventies. I know there is threads showing how to remove the door trims, which i could workout. But can you just pull the carpet trim off, recover and chuck back on without removing the whole door trim? Thanks. View attachment 516027
Not if you do it properly. It is glued on as well as clamped under the plastics and bonded in some spots. Best to take the door trim off and it will be clear how you can swap it out. It's not hard to do.it properly for a nest result when you get the trim off.
Even better is get yourself a couple of wagon trims and modify the cloth on those as they also have the padded door tops instead of the hard plastic like the utes have.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Temp wheels of my sons Ranger. While i get the others cleanup. Didnt know that they woul fit. Good thing to know if you get caught out in the bush. View attachment 516029
They must have a 110mm center bore being aftermarket. A factory rim.wouldnt fit. Nissan centre bore is 110mm most other 4wds are 108 so be careful mixing and matching. Also make sure you have decent steering lock if you do something like this as the IFS rims are much more inset normally.
Most aftermarket alloys need the back of the bore chamfered to fit the Patrol.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Whoa, slow down....and sack your mechanic.
A 2001 TD does not have EGR for.one thing.
That pic, if you are referring to the short hose, is the boost signal for the wastegate actuator which is in the turbine housing for the turbo. This regulates boost by opening the gate as boost gets too high and acts on the vacuum actuator which is the little can. The way to tune your boost is to put a bleed valve in that line so.ypu can fool the actuator in a controlled manner. Blocking that line will leave the gate shut and allow the turbo to boost uncontrolled in certain conditions. Not good on a HT18 that is way past its efficiency once it gets into the teens.
The thing you need to check is blocked when you up boost is the overboost valve that is or was in your elbow into the manifold.
Thanks Fester. 1st of all it wasn't my mechanic. I think it was me that got confused. Now that i read you explanation, i am sure that is how he explained it. I think after do more research i was wanting to know why it was blocked. Then thats when i found all these threads about blocking the EGR. Need to do more research To understand these engines so i can give you the right info. Thanks very much for replying and taking rhe time to explain. Much appreciate.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
They must have a 110mm center bore being aftermarket. A factory rim.wouldnt fit. Nissan centre bore is 110mm most other 4wds are 108 so be careful mixing and matching. Also make sure you have decent steering lock if you do something like this as the IFS rims are much more inset normally.
Most aftermarket alloys need the back of the bore chamfered to fit the Patrol.
After posting this i have found out that they fitted well at first site. As i am not driving the vehicle I never tested till next morning when we went to move. The fronts were locking and car wouldn't move. Have been away and never seen myself. They seem to of fitted find but must be the inset that stop them from turning. You are all over it mate! Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Not if you do it properly. It is glued on as well as clamped under the plastics and bonded in some spots. Best to take the door trim off and it will be clear how you can swap it out. It's not hard to do.it properly for a nest result when you get the trim off.
Even better is get yourself a couple of wagon trims and modify the cloth on those as they also have the padded door tops instead of the hard plastic like the utes have.
Ok will have to do the hard way. Pulling of the trim shouldnt be that hard as long as you take it slowly as to not break the clips. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Thanks Fester. 1st of all it wasn't my mechanic. I think it was me that got confused. Now that i read you explanation, i am sure that is how he explained it. I think after do more research i was wanting to know why it was blocked. Then thats when i found all these threads about blocking the EGR. Need to do more research To understand these engines so i can give you the right info. Thanks very much for replying and taking rhe time to explain. Much appreciate.
They obviously blocked it to increase boost instead of spending $60 on a proper bleed valve. It's not a good idea especially with an inefficient HT18 and no intercooler. What have they done with the big threaded fitting that is on the elbow into the top of the inlet manifold. Is it still there or have they replaced it with a blanking bung.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
A couple of quick mods Fitted car seat covers from Supertrim and fitted mats from fitmycar. Very happy but not cheap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
They obviously blocked it to increase boost instead of spending $60 on a proper bleed valve. It's not a good idea especially with an inefficient HT18 and no intercooler. What have they done with the big threaded fitting that is on the elbow into the top of the inlet manifold. Is it still there or have they replaced it with a blanking bung.
Not sure there mate and will need to investigate. Back Friday and will be working on it this Saturday. Will research what you are saying as it is over my head and get back to you. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
My exhaust arrive today and looking forward to installing this weekend. Will not be installing muffler. Paid the extra to have it just in case.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
849 Posts
Nothing to add except seat covers look great and take the Ranger wheels off before your Patrol decides to drench homeless pensioners in flood water.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Nothing to add except seat covers look great and take the Ranger wheels off before your Patrol decides to drench homeless pensioners in flood water.
Thanks Marko. Heaps to add just sorting out right supension combo and should have front Locker in next few weeks as well. Snorkel comming and superior engineering bolt on plate to strengthen top coil brackets also ordered. Canopy nearly ready to go on as well. Wheels are there for moving around factory and not for driving on so i can have the old ones cleanup. Seat covers and matts are just a bit of bling. Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow me to order everything at once.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Ok SS 3" Exhaust is in. Few tricks learnt along the way to make this easier next time i ever have to do it. Need to put a couple of supports towards the back, but all good. As mentioned i have the Muffler but will drive around a bit and see if the noise is too much first. At the moment looks good and sounds good. Bolts are hard to get to around the top and definitely helps to have a few options of different shaped spanners. Few photos.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
nissan
13,830 Posts
Looking mint mate and I bet the local cyclists will be glad you changed that exhaust. LOL.
Another Idea for door trims would be to mask up and re paint with a fabric stain spray pack.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Looking mint mate and I bet the local cyclists will be glad you changed that exhaust. LOL.
Another Idea for door trims would be to mask up and re paint with a fabric stain spray pack.
Dont really care about the local cyclists as the don't care for me. Never heard of a fabric paint and will investigate. Thanks.
Fester have taken photo of that side and dont think anything has been plugged. You seem to know alot about these engines so have a question for you. Two small hoses above the window wiper motor, one goes to the canister on the passenger side and the other goes to the drivers side, but where?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Dont really care about the local cyclists as the don't care for me. Never heard of a fabric paint and will investigate. Thanks.

Fester have taken photo of that side and dont think anything has been plugged. You seem to know alot about these engines so have a question for you. Two small hoses above the window wiper motor, one goes to the canister on the passenger side and the other goes to the drivers side, but where?
Mmm where did the photos go?

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Mmm where did the photos go? View attachment 516360
Interesting yours doesn't have the overboost valve. It would normally be tapped into that flat spot on the elbow in top of your inlet manifold. That big round flat circle in about the middle of the bend there. Odd as mine is the same year and definitely had it. I thought they only changed later with the Ti motor. At any rate good and simple news for you.

View attachment 516361
The hoses are vacuum hoses. The canister of course is the vacuum canister for the brakes and clutch. So hose comes from that into the actuator which is the thing on the firewall and the other hose should go to the air con idle valve on the side of the injector pump. It is pretty obvious there on the side. Has a big white rear end body and has a hooked arm coming out the front. When actuated the vacuum pulls on the hook which pulls back on the throttle arm which has a leg hanging down the side. Hose goes into the back end of the white body you will see/feel a small moulded in nipple.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Here it is on my pump.

That bit of thread and nut at the top rear is an adjuster for the arm. The round boss below that is where the nipple is for the idle up hose. See how the hook sits around the front of the throttle mechanism with that leg hanging down.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts