Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyones done recent rebuilds on their 33t and what kit they found quality for recent times, pulled mine down due to weeping head gasket while its got no cab on found head fine cracked pre comps and cracked pistons

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,720 Posts
Use genuine head gasket, manifold gasket, front and rear crank seals. Everything aftermarket is crap.
They are all still available from Nissan. As are piston rings.

There are one or two genuine heads still getting around, but no matter which way you go they're at least $2k. I bought one, but I'll likely get it ceramic coated before it goes on an engine. Not sure about price or availability of pre combs, I'll check if I remember. Cracks in these are not uncommon, I bought a reco head and ran it on a turbo donk without issue, the cracks were extremely minor though.

Aftermarket bearings should be okay as long as they are quality Japanese units. Genuine is still nicer though, mains are like $45 and rods are under $100, so just buy genuine.

Cam and bearings don't really need to be changed, they'll normally be fine. As will lifters, pushrods and valve gear. Pistons are harder, last I checked Nissan do not have a full set, but I wouldn't use the cheapest aftermarket crap I could, getting something decent made up will give a much better chance of a happy engine.

·
Registered
Nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think ill be going a noorderman diesel kit with genuine head gasket front and rear main and ill just use their manifold gasket till it pops then ill get a genuine. Head looks ok no cracks between valves pre combs are fingered but found some new ones but $250 theres not much availability on parts anymore so ill get what i can but i reckon that kit should do the trick just got to get the crank looked at for sizes and pick my head up and ill start ordering stuff was considering new valves too while im at it

·
1986 SD33T SWB
10,720 Posts
I'll be interested to hear if their manifold gasket is any good, or if its just the same stamped perforated composite crap that most aftermarket gaskets are.
I used one and it leaked immediately.

If the crank journals still look shiny and they're not scored they should be fine, a bearing will wear before a crank does.

It would be worth taking your valves to a good engine builder to check if they are reusable, genuine valves aren't cheap through Nissan.

·
Registered
Nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'll be the cheap chinese crap no doubt, will go genuine head gasket and front and rear main give the manifold a crack if it fails ill grab a genuine. Found valves from japan for $240 if needs be heads currently in the shop getting a look over so ill find out what i do/dont need saturday when i take the block in

·
1986 SD33T SWB
10,720 Posts
A manifold gasket isn't too hard to change out if it turns to crap. A little bit of high temp gasket sealant might help it seal up, but it'll be a pain to remove it again if the gasket still fails.

My genuine rod bearings rocked up not long ago too, turns out they're made by NDC. Precision Intl sell NDC bearings for about half the price of genuine, amd I now have another engine to put besrings into so I'll grab one of their sets and see if theres any noticable difference, I doubt it though.

$240 is a pretty good price for a set of valves, are they aftermarket or genuine?

·
Registered
Nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry i lie was pre combs for $240 NDC's the valves ill probably get is just npower ones

1 - 8 of 8 Posts