Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Rebuilding TD 42 silvertop

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  bambill 
#1 ·
Hi -have torn down my sons td42 silver top and am about to start sourcing bits. Initially it will run as standard non boosted engine, but in a few years time it will get a mild turbo when he is legally able. This is not a race engine but a reliable offroad donk. Is the standard bottom end ok ? Any recommendations as to where to get decent parts ? Any advice appreciated.

#2 ·
G'day Pete, the engine will handle the turbo OK just don't go to high with the boost ( I think up to around 15 psi is ok ) -- someone on here with more brains than me will be able to give advice as to what are safe boost numbers...............try Nizzbits for the parts (he is a member of this forum)

#3 ·
When it comes to parts for your TD42, be VERY careful what you get. I cannot stress this enough. Be very careful. The standard Nissan parts are high quality, and some aftermarket stuff is not as good. Source your parts with care. I cannot give you a definate source so I won't guess. Others will let you know I am sure.

Next issue is the assembly of the liners. This is critical, and the often used modern technique of using nitrogen should be avoided like Covid 19. So you need a machine shop that knows the TD42. Once again, other members will be able to give you a recommendation depending on your location. There are shops that know what they are doing.

There is a long list of people that have had rebuilt TD42's that do not last very long, myself included. You do not want to be another.

And a standard Silvertop in good condition will handle 30psi, and fuel to match it. You need not be worried about this.

#4 ·
Thanks - really appreciate the advice. 30psi is heaps.

I thought I read a story somewhere that the Silvertop was not as strong as the blacktop ? or something like that ? Is there any truth to this ? Just trying to get the story right for my son who knows everything now he's watched 2 youtube videos .......

#6 ·
Thanks - really appreciate the advice. 30psi is heaps.

I thought I read a story somewhere that the Silvertop was not as strong as the blacktop ? or something like that ? Is there any truth to this ? Just trying to get the story right for my son who knows everything now he's watched 2 youtube videos .......
Not quite right. The NA Blacktop engine is the one that needs to be run at more modest power levels, as the internals are different. Silvertops and factory turbo engines are stronger.

#8 ·
Our resident engineer Oldmav believes that it damages the lock ring - "proven" were his words to me some years ago when we were discussing it. The factory method is for the liners to be installed by hand. From memory, he told me some Cat engines are the same.

The result is that over a period if time, the liners will sink in the block, and you will have no crush on the head gasket as the protrusion will be too low.

#13 ·
I am purely going off what Peter has told me Marty. This was his explanation to me as to why quite a lot of rebuilt engines blow head gaskets after a while. You may recall we had a thread about it a while back and there was quite a lot of engines that suffered this. Peter is convinced the liners are moving due to incorrect installation.

#14 ·
I understand that, and we have had engines come in with liner heights all over the place, one can only assume that the liner was not seated on the counter bore correctly from the start for it to then drop/move later on.
Liners cracking and dropping, well that is a totally different thing and I wish I knew the answer to that one.
I have tried every which way under the sun to install liners and just when you think you have it sussed, you have a failure. Luckily these days however we do not have them drop into the crankcase and hit the crank, which can destroy everything when the piston comes back up and the rings catch the top of the liner and pulls the piston top off in the worst cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.