Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
nissan
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mate has an overheated GQ with the TD42 and just wondering if anyone knows a reputable machine shop in Sydney (prefer the west but will travel for quality work) to do what they do best. Maybe to do the whole reco job depending on cost but thinking I will do most of the hard work myself.

If anyone has Reco'd theirs if they wouldn't mind posting approximate costs that would be great.

I have a budget of 20k and he will sell me the patrol for $1500 so there could be quite a build coming up. Even the up the duff missus is excited.

Thanks Ben

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
A TD42 needing a rebuild.............. you Sir, are accused of blasphemy.

I simply cannot believe this could ever happen to a motor, espoused by some, as the worlds most reliable.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Yep they are. And so are 2.8's. Apparently 2.8's are good starter motors for the TD42 :p

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Well I'd first look at the motor as is and see just what needs doing, because as Benno says (albeit tongue-in-cheek) they are a tough old beast and more often than not survive a overheat. If work is required, a new h/g usually sorts it - something we can't say about the infamous RD heh Benno !

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Try MV Motors in Liverpool 9734 9847. Has done a fair few diesels & well priced. He's not into offroad driving but knows his diesels. You definately won't need to spend 20K with him.

I am actually rebuilding a TD42Ti which had 4 fried pistons, blown head gasket & cracked companion bores in the block. So I can understand your situation.

If you have bought it for $1500, it is definately worth it mate.

Cheers
Zoltan

·
Banned
nissan
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We pulled the head off and it at least needs pistons and sleeves on 3 and 4, are gouged to the ****house and was thinking I might as well do the whole rebuild thing while it is out and have the funds.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Surely you could just pack up a second hand motor for 2 grand and be done with it?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just be sure you get someone good, if their mind is elsewhere or they operate with the understanding that once the engine is buttoned up whats really inside is now a secret.

I would get all of the machining done myself, buy all of the new parts and then pass these as a job lot onto a very experienced diesel rebuilder.....far better chance of knowing what comes back to you then.

Then i would buy an aftermarket metal temperature gauge that has an audible alarm, i have the watchdog brand in my cars....wouldn't be without them.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
I would be keen to know, from a preventative perspective, how this situation, outcome came about?

thanks in advance, Greg

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Just be sure you get someone good, if their mind is elsewhere or they operate with the understanding that once the engine is buttoned up whats really inside is now a secret.

I would get all of the machining done myself, buy all of the new parts and then pass these as a job lot onto a very experienced diesel rebuilder.....far better chance of knowing what comes back to you then.

Then i would buy an aftermarket metal temperature gauge that has an audible alarm, i have the watchdog brand in my cars....wouldn't be without them.
I would agree with you fnqcairns. There are so many inferior taiwanese parts that you will want to avoid. If you don't want to do the running around for it then make sure your mechanic is aware not ordering cheapo parts. Mechanics automatically seek cheap parts if they see you complaining about costs.

I would also pull out the radiator & get it serviced and get the injectors tested. It is surely a water or a fuel issue so you wanna NOT have this drama again. So don't cut corners. Mine had both a blocked,leaking radiator & very blocked injectors.

Eastcoast 4x4 sells reco exchange engines too for I think the $4.5K mark. What parts they use....? I have no idea but I'm sure they can tell you. This could end up a cheaper option.

That engine you have needs re-sleeving & question is whether companion bores are good. Head could be buckled etc. The price for machining isn't cheap & you could end up spending more on the re-build than exchanging the engine. A second-hand engine is the cheapest option but buying someone elses problems.

Food for thought

·
Banned
nissan
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies, as for how it happened, combination of stupidity and lack of maintenance/care. Due to him not ever flushing the coolant or even using coolant the impellor on the pump has almost completely corroded away. That and not looking at the temperature gauge whilst driving in an aussie summer with almost no water flow, this is the result.

Not going to buy someone elses problem with a second hand one, I will either get an exchange one or buy the parts, get everything checked, resleeved and machined and put it together myself (am a qualified mechanic)

Just for entertainment value I rang two nissan dealers this morning to get a price on a new long motor, one was $19,000 and the other was $14,500 I almost choked, who in their right mind would buy one at that price. They were both arseholes by the way as I am sure you all have found out dealing with nissan spare parts.

·
Registered
325 Posts
if you want a decent price on brand new long motors... PM Nizzbits on this forum! gary has much better prices than those! and is very helpful!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts