Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 1985 Nissan patrol cab chassis. It's been a labour of love since I started building it up. I have removed the petrol engine and 4 speed and converted it to a turbo diesel 5 speed.
It's had a new paint job and is in overall very very tidy condition..

Now I was initially going to build it up as a tourer/fishing truck but really do enjoy going out on 4wdrive trips so wanted to get her a bit more " track ready "

It currently has 265 all terrains and the cab has a 2" body lift, both diffs are open..

Last time I took it offroad it was pretty terrible. What would you do to make it a bit more capable?? I'm on a tight budget so telling me to go buy two airlockers is a great idea but not really feasible at this stage.
I have a little fund going for a new set of tyres but am unsure what size to go.
I don't want to make my car, unreliable or really illegal.. I say really illegal as I live in wa most 4wdrives are illegal to some extent..

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated..

Marc

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Hey Marc,

I'd say start with getting hold of a decent LSD for the rear. That'll make a huge difference. More so than fancy tyres. Air lockers are a luxury (and you pay for it!). If you need tyres, I'd say, to keep it CLOSE to legal, go with no larger than 33s (31s are standard).

Cheers,

Michael.

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
yes i would go with the 33" tyres also, diff clearence is always a good start especially running open centers, a lsd would make a world of difference if you get one try to get it serviced or freshend up a good lsd will keep you out of trouble to and extent. ive had my GQ for 5 yrs and have put it through some pretty hairy stuff with an lsd and 33"/35" tires

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay I have a set of diff gears here and the rear has a LSD.

They are not the exact ratio I'm chasing but they will do for now until I get the ones i need off a mate.

I don't mind doing it twice as it's good experience..

Tyres will have to wait a bit as they are really really expensive..

I was considering a front locker but I don't know if a auto locker would be a pain when doing track work??

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
mate i would go a auto locker and yes i have one,do the gear's is you already have a set and a set of 33.i run a fair amount of power threw my auto locker with 35's and give it a very hard time and so far so good

·
She's apples
nissan patrol
1,063 Posts
How does a auto locker behave on say a gravel road?? Are they hard to handle??
Not really, just a bit heavier steering and prone to understeer if your are going a bit fast. Best mod you will do for the $$$.

Keep an eye out for 2nd hand tyres, my mate may have some 285/75/16 30-40% BFG muds going pretty cheap. Could be much better than your ATs. PM me if you're interested and I'll ask him for details.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Shark,
Your ute should have 4.88 diffs and the rear should be a H260

So you have LSD rear now,or putting one in ???

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 4.1's in it now, not 4.8's. I have a turbo diesel shorty here with 4.3's and the rear should be a LSD.
I was going to put the 4.3's in for now as then I atleast have an LSD.

Then when I get round to getting the 4.6's off landy I can transfer the LSD onto the 4.6 diff..

But if extra work but I like learning

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Its great the rear isnt a H260
Maybe thats cause its an EX P40 ???
Could be like a base model from factory ???

Get a LSD or lokka of sorts , itll be heaps better off road, even IF you just do the rear diff

Dont forget , change the rear ratio,gotta do the front as well

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay so my short term plans are

4.3 diff gears all round, rear will be a LSD. If it's not too difficult I might shim it up a bit. Eventually will change to 4.6's.

I'm gonna save up and get a lokka for the front, I would love air lockers but they are hard to find for a mk and just too bloody expensive.

Hopefully at tax time I should have enough for some 305 muddies..

I was considering a lokka for the rear but apparently they can be annoying and more difficult to drive with..

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
Hi shark I run a lokka in the front of my Mk it makes it a bit heavier but the ability to drive hills alot slower is pricless, I'm running 4.6 gears and 33's aswell.

I think with 4.3's it would rev to high at highway speeds.

I also have 2 inch body lift and still get some rubbing from the bighorns.

I recommend lock tighting the hub bolts and hub screws in though as my lokka rattles them loose

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
4.6 ratios will rev higher at highway speeds than 4.33

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Shark
ARB air locker from states cheap with dollar the way it is;)

mate if you want to get rid of 4.3's let me know i'll be after some when I fit my front locker:cheers:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did they still make air lockers to suit the mk/MQ patrol.

I thought they stopped production for the old cars, or that might be bullbars:)

At this stage I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing with ratios. Might go straight to 4.6's and if so the 4.3's will be available..

I'm actually pretty excited, seeing my mates twin locked patrol take on obstacles with such lower speeds compared to me revving it up and dropping the clutch, I'm looking forward to less damage:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts