Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looks like the time to replace my battery ( which is about 6 and half years old standard 700cca repco one). just wondering which brand of battery should i buy? also there are two types of them, the standard ( old style) and the maintenance free (MF) one. i have never used a MF battery before. with the standard one i need to check water ,etc in about every 3 months. has anyone used the MF battery which you really dont need to check things like water level at all?

·
Registered
nissan
1,818 Posts
Try doing a search on here for previous posts you'll find stacks of batteries that have been recommended it just depends how much you want to spend etc.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would go for the Repco one again..Six and a half years is not bad.

I doubt you would get better life out of something similar.

More expensive batteries you might, but then you would have to weigh up the difference.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Repco are a reseller, the battery you bought 6 1/2 years ago may be from a completely different manufacturer or it may be from the same who knows. Personally I would stick to one of the leading brands.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks guys for all inputs. finally bought Century Ultra Endurance 4wd battery 760CCA $229 from supercheap. with 2 year warranty. car starts instantly .......
Note, the previous setup was two parallel connection. so 6 1/2 years for 2 batteries. i have now removed the 2nd battery connection. with only one installed. will see how it goes....

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Ill try not to write an essay on this but suffice to say ditching parallel will help battery life. You need to think of each cell as a 2V "person" and the 12 volt battery, as six people. Now if you have any life experience at all, you'll know its far easier to get six people to agree and be happy than 12. This is precisely whats happening with your old setup. There is certain facts of physics to do with electrons and the chemistry differences between each cell. This is why remote power installations use the minimum number of parallelisation that is possible. Generally, dont do parallel. Do bigger capacity with less cells. Cheers

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,656 Posts
Most UPSs that i work with use batteries in series to get the desired voltage then they are all parralaled after that to gain capacity.

·
Registered
Nissan GU
140 Posts
Do NOT choose Fusion 100 Ah AGM batteries rated for "under bonnet use".

They leak electrolyte when (strangely) it gets hot under the bonnet.

Crap battery in my opinion.

Sent from my Inter-WEB device

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Do NOT choose Fusion 100 Ah AGM batteries rated for "under bonnet use".
Ive never head of an AGM battery being rated for under bonnet use. You got me curious and I found they do advertise that at here:

Fusion AGM Batteries > Products > 6&12V Solar Batteries AGM

I call marketing BS. In fact, if I were you I'd get the Government onto them for false advertising and other trade practices violations using your experience as a case study point.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good day, I have heard Exide are the ones to beat for my patrol. 3 year warranty for about $150.00 trade. Hard to beat.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill try not to write an essay on this but suffice to say ditching parallel will help battery life. You need to think of each cell as a 2V "person" and the 12 volt battery, as six people. Now if you have any life experience at all, you'll know its far easier to get six people to agree and be happy than 12. This is precisely whats happening with your old setup. There is certain facts of physics to do with electrons and the chemistry differences between each cell. This is why remote power installations use the minimum number of parallelisation that is possible. Generally, dont do parallel. Do bigger capacity with less cells. Cheers
do you think that parallel connection may reduce the lift of alternator? both of my nissan and toyota have parallel connection. the toyota's pair (2x560CCA) lasted about 7 years.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Yes it does. Its founded in good science. There is chemical variations in each cell due to manufacturing impurities etcetc as well as chemical impurities in the electrolyte etcetc these things all add up to whats called in engineering "tolerance stackup" and it matters

Does it matter to you? Do you care on seven years versus nine? Its all relative buddy

Ofcourse an alternator with high demand wont last as long as a low demand alternator

The simple general rule of fact is, in any battery situation, use the least amount of parallelism as possible

1 - 13 of 13 Posts