Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU 1998 ST 2.8
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have just purchased a 98 GU ST 2.8 with 143K on the clock.

Should i be looking at Castrol Magnatec or Delo 400 Oil for the engine, also will i be ok with Ryco filters or should i be looking elsewhere?

The Logbook says the Trol is " Pewter Grey " but it looks gold to me, any comments anyone?

And finally, are there any 4x4 clubs around werribee or melbourne Patrol owners clubs?

Thanks for reading my post and hope to meet some of you on the tracks.

Mark

·
Registered
nissan
340 Posts
I've been happy with Penrite, used it for years in an old 308, tore it down, the internals were good considering the mileage and hard driving.
I also noticed that it would hold its oil pressure better under extreme conditions.
I wonder about the Castrol Magnatec, sticks to steel?
Too bad when you want to do an oil change,
All the oil will be sticking to your steel pistons and steel crank, and steel big end and main bearings.
And Australian made and owned.
Think I should be a rep?
I've always used Ryco, seem ok.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Hello Bluesmartboy and welcome to the rat race, i mean forum. 143K seems like pretty good mileage to me and i reckon you scored a good truck. I use Ryco filters on my TD42 and they go great, i'm sure the purists would argue otherwise :rolleyes:, but the RD28's seem to be a very hardy engine from all reports so i wouldn't suspect a drama.

The pewter grey colour seems to be the correct name for the "funny-in-between-silver-and-gold colour."

cheers

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Penrite is what I use as well. Filters I just go with the Ryco and don't seem to have issues.

Clubs? Tried searching the net? There are listings on the 4wd Victoria website of all the affiliated clubs in Victoria. And yes, there are clubs around Werribee and also there is a patrol club of victoria.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
I switched from Penrite HPR15 to Delo about three weeks ago and I cant notice any difference, expect for delo being 1/2 the price.

Ive always used Ryco filters / Penrite since about 100k, 205 now.

Has the timing belt, idlers and tensioners been changed?

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Has the timing belt, idlers and tensioners been changed?
Just to add to Benno, change them if they have not already been done.

Dello oil and ryco filters for me as well, except the air cleaner, genuine.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Does anybody else remember the oil comparison that was in 4wd action a few years back? Where they had a roller on a test jig with some of each oil in between to show how much wear there was with each type of oil? Anybody care to dig it out and scan it in and post it up? I thought it was a rather interesting article, but can't remember the results.

Benno, I don't think you would feel any difference putting in different oil, it would only show up in how much wear is happening in your engine, which you won't feel or might not even see (in the form of metal particles in the oil).

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Would anyone recommend Castrol RX Super engine oil?

Just took possession of my 1st Patrol - 99 GU ST 2.8DT and I'm stoked!
Going to do the recommended thing and change the oil/oil filter/air filter etc and have been reading the threads re: oil and filters.

Supercheapauto have Castrol RX Super 15w-40 on special at $79 for 20L.

Worth considering?

BTW, love this site and forum. Great for a newbie like myself to get help from the experienced members.

·
Registered
nissan
116 Posts
I use the Castrol RX Super and noticed it on special also but am considering going to the penrite range in 15w 50 or 60 as the oil doesnt thin out soo much with the higher temp or the turbo and also the properties of the oil are better lower ash and last abit longer, i try streach mine out to 6000km change as i do 800+ on highway a week in my td42

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Benno, I don't think you would feel any difference putting in different oil, it would only show up in how much wear is happening in your engine, which you won't feel or might not even see (in the form of metal particles in the oil).
I thought there may have been something different at hot idle going from a 50 to a 40 weight oil.

It is definately quieter at startup.

I went to delo as Im going to three oil filters instead of one and extending the oil intervals to 50,000kms.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I thought there may have been something different at hot idle going from a 50 to a 40 weight oil.

It is definately quieter at startup.

I went to delo as Im going to three oil filters instead of one and extending the oil intervals to 50,000kms.
50,000k's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woah!!!!!! I do mine every 5,000..... thats filters and oil. I assume you only have 1 filter standard and you are installing 2 bypass filters?

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
No, remote mounted twin Z503s in place of standard Z416 and then a single Baldwin B50 bypass filter also remote mounted but further down the system.

Change the bypass B50 and add about 0.8L of oil every 5000kms. Get an oil test done every 10,000kms.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
I use the Castrol RX Super and noticed it on special also but am considering going to the penrite range in 15w 50 or 60 as the oil doesnt thin out soo much with the higher temp or the turbo and also the properties of the oil are better lower ash and last abit longer, i try streach mine out to 6000km change as i do 800+ on highway a week in my td42
Yeah mate i have been running Castrol for years in my GQ and run it in my GU also without a problem. I usually buy from Super cheap when they have their 20% off sales and grab 2 x 20lt drums to allow me to do 5000km changes for the best price.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Super RX Here too, good value for money. Every 5000km chang of filters and oil. prob couldn't afford to do that with penrite :p

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
And finally, are there any 4x4 clubs around werribee or melbourne Patrol owners clubs?
Here is a link to the Geelong Four Wheel Drive club just down the road mate, active club with over 100 family members and day and touring drives happening throughout the year.

They meet just off the geelong ring road and only 30 mins down the road from Werribee.

PM me if you need any further info as i am on the committee.

Geelong 4WD Club - Home

Cheers Darren

·
Registered
nissan
2,029 Posts
The rep that worked out which conoco oil i should be using reckons if i dynoed it before and then after the 2nd change there "should" be an increase in power (minimal and only able to be seen on a dyno), not because the oil "added" horsepower but because it would allow engine parts to spin more freely therefore not "draining" any power.

why the 2nd change, because the first will still have remnants of the old oil.

The conoco i use is used in longhaul freight trucks where engine reliability is the difference between making money and not, thats a pretty good reason to use it i think. If anyone wants some, pm me and ill point you in the right direction to buy it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts