Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, intend on fitting a snorkel to my 2001 zd30 di patrol. Can anybody recommend a manufacturer??? Plenty on eBay but are they any good???? Any advice welcome

·
Registered
nissan patrol
425 Posts
I was looking at the safari snorkels but was advised by the LPG mechanic I used that they are a bitch to tune on LPG patrols. He had a cruiser on a dyno with before and after read outs and you actually lose about 10-15 kW adding it. Still looking at one but looking for opinions as well on similar issues.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol/Maverick
593 Posts
I bought an eBay one for $100 just to realise the plastic is apparently inferior so as it gets old it cracks at the back where you can't see. I then paid extra for the Safari and it's magic. Gas and snorkels don't go together you need to turn the snorkel head backward otherwise it stuffs the gas flow up. Your DI should be fine with a Safari.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
My Safari is fine as well, if I was doing it again I would have no reason to do anything different :).

·
Registered
596 Posts
I recently put a Safari on mine, easy enough to fit, BUT it would be easier if I had the right sized hole saw:D

I personally am not a fan of the those big stainless snorkels that are all the rage, I don't like the ide of cutting my guard\bonnet so much, and I have a theory that if I hit a tree or something the plastic will give\break, with hopefully not much extra damage, I assume the stainless snorkel will do more damage:D

I would not be trusting my expensive engine to a cheap YumCha ebay special:shock:

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol/Maverick
593 Posts
I only realised after fitting the Safari how much it helps with the ram effect on a NA diesel above 80kmh. I know it's not relevant to the OP but that's what you won't get with the stainless snorkels unless you fit the ramhead which I know Millweld can do.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was looking at the safari snorkels but was advised by the LPG mechanic I used that they are a bitch to tune on LPG patrols. He had a cruiser on a dyno with before and after read outs and you actually lose about 10-15 kW adding it. Still looking at one but looking for opinions as well on similar issues.
Time to find a new mechanic who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
nissan
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers for the info guys! The consensus appears to be safari so that's the route I'll go! I'll stick up a few pix when I get it fitted. Anybody know where's got a cheap one? And would send it to ireland????

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
While we are talking snorkels, does anyone know if the genuine Nissan snorkels are good?

The new GU ute cab I've picked up has the Nissan snorkel on it, so just wondering if anyone has had issues with them?

·
Registered
nissan
85 Posts
I have a TJM one on my rig, couldn't be happier! They enter the guard just past the antenna unlike some of the others that run along the outside of that guard all the way to the airbox. Seems to have great induction too. Very consistant and smooth!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
425 Posts
Time to find a new mechanic who knows what they are doing.
Maybe Tee but seeing the read outs of the cruisers runs with and without have me questioning it. Never thought about turning it around though but could be just a Toyota thing too. Still want to put one on otherwise I will be playing in puddles forever if I dont:D

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Maybe Tee but seeing the read outs of the cruisers runs with and without have me questioning it. Never thought about turning it around though but could be just a Toyota thing too. Still want to put one on otherwise I will be playing in puddles forever if I dont:D
Mate I remember reading some threads on diesel gas and snorkels some time back, I've just spent 30 minutes searching for them but can't find the one I'm after, I remember balance tubes etc, if you get a bit of spare time do a search through the Google Custom Search, top LH corner of this page, you may have better luck than me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts