Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my second battery not charging,
I've checked the isolatir/solenoid and I get 14ish volts on the top terminal(the one coming from main batt) but only 11.5v on bottom terminal.
I've taken all the terminals off cleaned them up, taken the isolatir off and manually closed it and belled it out, there's is continuity there??
So I not sure why it won't charge my second batt?
Below is the isolatir

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
just a stab here. i'm wondering if your secondary battery is too drained for it to charge. I know with the smart start system if the aux battery drops below a certain voltage the system wont charge the battery. run a multi meter on the battery's and check the voltage.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
i think you will have to get similar batteries in type and amps, since i think the redarc links the two batteries in parallel(correct me if im wrong someone). if you have two different batteries and link them in parallel it creates issues will different charge rates due to type of battery and ah and can over charge damaging a battery. also recommend getting a volt meter or ammeter connected in so you can ensure your aux battery or main doesn't complete discharge and damage themselves.

·
Registered
Nissan
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's all good guys thanks for the replies but I worked it out,
I was mucking around with pitting thermos on(just like to experiment) but realised with the thermos in the alternator wasn't keeping up and only charging both battery's at around 12.5v
As soon as I switched them off, bothe battery's charge at 14v,
So I'll be ditching the thermos and back to viscous hub and fan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts