Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate some feedback/opinions from some of the experts out there. Personal opinions or experiences are also welcome.

Referring to my attached pic, will my three spotties effect airflow over the radiator etc all that badly. Or as I believe, due to not having a winch, and therefore a big opening in it's place, I am getting enough airflow.

I live in the Territory and the vehicle is predominantly the family tourer. So yes, ambient temps are usually pretty high this time of year. I've owned the new Patrol since June this year and except for indifferent fuel economy, I'm very happy and have noticed no signs to indicate possible temp issues.

Cheers experts...I look forward to your opinions...

Attachments

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Theres no doubting they are blocking air. How much air is debatable, has been done many times before.

Why do you need 3 of them? 2 shoot out plenty of light. Plus where you live you need the best airflow you can get..

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
if it does reduce airflow (and i would say it does) then it just means your fan will be working harder to suck the air through

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,157 Posts
No doubt in my opinion they reduce airflow on a vehicle travelling at speed. How much will depend on a lot of factors. The best answer is to drive it and see what happens. If it causes no problem then happy days. I doubt at low speed it will make any difference, as the fan is doing the work then anyway.

If it does then I would consider the following. I had this issue on an old modified 4wd of mine. Mitsubishi L200 with Hilux diffs, Jeep Transfer case, Supra gearbox, and a 253. As soon as I put on the bullbar and driving lights the temp went up close to 10 degrees. It was still ok, but I knew that airflow had been reduced by the bar and lights.

My solution was to pick up air from another area and direct it through the radiator to compensate. I have done this to my Rodeo as well. In the case of these two vehicles, what I did was build a deflector into the bottom of the bullbar. Air that came in below the bottom of the radiatior was picked up by the deflector and directed through. In the case of the L200 the engine temp was reduced back to normal. I am not familiar with the GU layout, so cannot say whether this bullbar option is viable, but the idea of using ducted air could be used in another manner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts