Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all thought id through up some pics.

will add some info if it works haha

cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hi fellas well this is my troll.
100% stock 2005 came with the zd30di.....
I originally bought it as a daily and to pull around the track car, also had very strict instructions from the wife not to modify it....that didn't last long (I caught the 4wding bug haha)

So first thing was a 3" dobinsons lift aswell as a set of 33" muddies then came the arb winch bar:)

After the lift,tyres and bar the 3ltr was strugling to push the big girl on the highway so I put a 3" exhaust, snorkel, a bigger topmount intercooler and did the NADS kit...which perked it up again a bit.

So next on the list was a roof rack, arb awning, 52" lightbar, 12000 lbs Ironman winch, dual battery set-up and a set of hid Lightforce 240 blitz
Also built a set of drawers and a fridge slide in the back

So after all that the troll was pretty capable and i was getting out camping as much as possible with the family.

Then after much convincing from the wife(that's what I made her think anyway haha) we decided to get a camper trailer....woohoo

After a couple of trips with the camper in tow i came to the very quick conclusion that the zd30 was not going to cut it!
So after much research i came to the decision to put in a tickled up td42 and keep the auto (auto off road is awsome!!)
So fast forward a few months and many beers later its up and running, tho I'v not properly tested her out yet as I'm having some shifting issues with the auto trans. I'm waiting on a manualised valve body to fix this issue..
Can't wait to get back out on the tracks!!! It's driving me crazy!
All of the above was done by me in the garage lol

·
Registered
nissan
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers gassed

well heres some more pics.
i made the piping and mounts for the cooler last break, so this break ill be modifying/painting the new bonnet scoop and installing it:D

Attachments

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,962 Posts
I often wonder why more guys don't go for this sort of setup.... Sort of seems practical to me.... I like it.

·
Registered
nissan
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers jacket..
the only drama is i have to take a cooler pipe off to top up the oil, but that will take a whole of about 30sec haha
just incase anyone is wondering that last pic is of where the snorkal comes through the gard into the airbox...i took out the original and made that as the factory one narrowed down a fair bit.

·
Registered
nissan
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that was the original plan jacket.. but i came to the conclusion iv already got to much crap infront of the rad.. i think if i didnt have the auto trans cooler their aswell i would have gone front mount for sure...
im tossing up if i should run a fan on the top mount or not

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GUIII
277 Posts
i came to the decision to put in a tickled up td42 and keep the auto (auto off road is awsome!!)
Nice job on the conversion reece. I've done the same but with a manual. Keeping the auto is a good decision (assuming you don't go chasing too much power). When you say tickled up td42 what have you done to it?

·
Registered
nissan
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheers bad mudder..

nah only looking to run about 140rwkw and 600nm so nothing to crazy...all i want to do is be able to maintain 100kmh with the camper on the back up hills, the camper is under a ton. and be able to over take cars and trucks on the hwy(the zd30 was strugling to mantain 100 on the flat haha) so im hoping at those power levels it will do what i want??:D

as far as mods go
-i got my 11mm pump and injectors rebuilt, did look at 12mm ones but as said above not going huge power
-garrett gt2860rs, had that sitting in the gararge from previos project lol, but dont think its going to flow enough??
-blitz dual stage elctronic boost controller
-3'' straight through exhaust
-intercooler and upgraded intake piping

how are you liking yours?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GUIII
277 Posts
how are you liking yours?
I love the reliability compared to the last conversion I did. It hasn't missed a beat in 3 years. Mine only has around 120 rwkw though and running 15psi. I'd definitely like a bit more. In hindsight I should have gone the 12mm pump and UFI 18g, but lets face it no matter how much power and torque you have you're never satisfied, you always want more, but you have to draw a line somewhere. I really wish I had an auto too.
I have a camper trailer that weighs in around a tonne and it tows it no worries at 100km/h. I barely notice it's there.

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Good work on the conversion Reece, I know how much effort there is in doing the conversion. I just finished converting my Ti over from a 4.5 to 4.2 Diesel.

What did you do about diff gears?

What are the red braided fittings for in the 2nd photo??

If you need a had with getting the auto shifting right, flick me a message next time you are back in town.

·
Registered
nissan
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey mytqik hows it goin,
those lines are for the oil filter relocation kit (i used the zd30 starter motor and didnt like the idea of using one of those short filters, so i relocated it so i could use a full size one)

im still using the factory 4.3 diffs and thats running 285 75 16s, how about yourself?

hey ill be back in perth tomorrow for a week so if your keen id be realy keen to come check out your troll and see how it goes if you got some spare time? and have a chat about those shifting issues. im very tempted to go manualized valve body lol
did you end up putting a after market valve body in yours?

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
hey mytqik hows it goin,
those lines are for the oil filter relocation kit (i used the zd30 starter motor and didnt like the idea of using one of those short filters, so i relocated it so i could use a full size one)

im still using the factory 4.3 diffs and thats running 285 75 16s, how about yourself?

hey ill be back in perth tomorrow for a week so if your keen id be realy keen to come check out your troll and see how it goes if you got some spare time? and have a chat about those shifting issues. im very tempted to go manualized valve body lol
did you end up putting a after market valve body in yours?
Mine runs 3.9 diffs, with 285/75/R16's. Maths says it should rev at around 1900 at 100, and it certainly feels like it is just ticking along.

Which date are you back? At the very least I can swing you a copy of the workshop manual :)

·
Registered
nissan
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey mytqik I was pretty flat out this week so won't be back in Perth till the 15/7, but will shoot you a pm when it gets closer. Sorry for the late reply haha

·
Registered
nissan
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well didn't get much time on the car this break, but did manage to get a couple of things done
.I finished the mounts for the intercooler
.installed all my gauges and boost controler
.Also fitted a new coolent temp sensor

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GUIII
277 Posts
Hi Reece.
What did you do about your cruise control?? Obviously zd30 was fly by wire and TD42 has throttle cable. Did you put in an aftermarket unit? I haven't got around to doing mine yet but would love to have it back for the long trips.

·
Registered
nissan
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey badmudder,
i've not even thought about that yet. and considering it didnt work on the patrol befor the conversion i might put it in the ''future reece problem basket'' haha.
the next thing on my todo list is get that trans shfting, then get the a/c plumbed up and gassed, did you blokes have any tricks for the the a/c or did you just take to a a/c place?

·
Registered
nissan
4,840 Posts
Reece, sorry if I missed it but what torque converter did you use with the ZD trans?

I'm also expecting issues with my TB45 trans shifting behaviour so I'm thinking I can use a voltage modifier to play with the TPS signal but I need a reliable engine RPM indication for that.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts