Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am, sitting up in the couch with a stabbing pain between my shoulder blades due to reflux.
I went to the quacks a year ago because I was burping and getting pains all through the day.

I've had three gastroscopies done, and he gave me nexium, rabeprozole and a few others. None of which worked. So I've changed my diet, gone to light beer, can only have three a night or this happens. (had four last night)
There is an op they can do which involves taking the top of the stomach and wrapping it around the oesophagus to tighten the sphincter that controls the entry.
He tells me to take the pills to reduce acid, but it does nothing. And I'm stuffed if I'm taking six tablets a day for no effect the rest of my life.

Has anyone got this problem? Or had the op.
What do you do to try to control acid?

Reactions: Guted

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
I myself suffer from bad reflux too. Fortunately Nexium keeps it under control but I still get pain about one night a week only when lying down. I found eating less helped the most and I dont eat after 7:00pm. Also the nexi takes about a week to really start working properly.

I literally feel your pain matey.

My brother had it very bad to the point of having erosion the the osophegus (spelling) and he was passing blood in his poop for months before he saw the doc. He didnt have to have an operation but had to change his diet very significantly and start taking a few drugs to help. No tomatos was a big one, that means he couldnt eat a lot of his normal foods. He had to see a dietician who toldhim exactly what he can and cant eat. It took another few months to stop bleeding but he has been good since.

Oh and FYI its hereditary in our family so that might explain why both our kids started with nexium from birth.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
425 Posts
I have the heartburn periodically and use Zantac to inhibit stomach acid. My pain is right at the base of the sternum, and after taking Zantac, relieves the pain after about 5-10 mins. The oesopegial sphincter is a fickle beast and will need to be looked at for damage. The primary problem seems you might be over producing acid, through foods, alcohol or anxiety. Lessen the last two and modification of the first, may reduce the acid and subsequent pain.

Good luck...if in doubt, call an ambulance...my first attack I thought my heart was going to stop...better to be safe than sorry as I thought I was having an infarct. The paramedics gave me the all clear when they popped an antacid into my gob and the ECG showed normal heart function :)

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They told me I have Grade C gastritis. Which means there is more than 75% scarring on my oesophagus. He seems really casual about the whole thing, but he doesn't live with this ****.
A mates mum died last year from stomach cancer that started the same way, so I'm a little bit more concerned than him too.
I don't drink soft drink any more, no takeaway, fried foods. Only a small change in the pain. :(

·
Registered
nissan patrol
823 Posts
Try Gut Relief. It is a powder that you mix with water. My better half has IBS, which causes lots of heartburn. She was on somac and a few other things for it, but nothing worked properly. Since starting the powder she has had no heartburn at all. It would seem that your situation is different, but I can imagine you would be willing to try anything to stop the pain...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,657 Posts
I tried the meds that the doctor prescribes for it. All that did was make it impossible to eat properly.
These days I pop a zantac when it gets bad. I also drink a lot of milk drinks. Ice breaks and chocolate milkshakes keep the acid under control and stop me throwing up when it gets bad.
One thing that the doctor sugested and I found to work was switching frin burbon to rum. The burbon was making the problem worse whilst rum has no effect on me.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
356 Posts
They told me I have Grade C gastritis. Which means there is more than 75% scarring on my oesophagus. He seems really casual about the whole thing, but he doesn't live with this ****.
A mates mum died last year from stomach cancer that started the same way, so I'm a little bit more concerned than him too.
I don't drink soft drink any more, no takeaway, fried foods. Only a small change in the pain. :(
Try seeing a naturopath. I'm as skeptical as the next bloke but the few people I know that have seen one for something that the doctors couldn't fix and get positive results is probably convincing enough for me to see one if I'm in that situation.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
354 Posts
I don't drink soft drink any more
But you still drink beer.

There's a little statistic going about that says, 70% of health issues are caused by lifestyle choices and 30% from bad luck.

If you genuinely want to have a crack at it try living cleanly. Like anything at life, you have to work for it. You want to feel great, then work for it, start with the basic stuff first and see how it goes.

Firstly, drink anything you like as long as it's water. That's right, stop drinking everything except water. There's some good online calculators to work out how much you should be drinking a day. For a typical male expect 3-4L a day. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't all that much. Go buy half a dozen 600ml drink bottles or how ever many you need and fill them all each morning. Stick them in a cooler bag and take them everywhere you go. You will then always have water available and be able to monitor how much you're drinking.

Have you changed your food intake as much as you can. Don't just eliminate the obvious stuff like take away and fried, start eliminating processed foods. Start eating whole foods. If it comes in a packet, it's probably no good for you even if it does have "healthy" on the packet. If you pick something up off the shelf, read the ingredients and don't know what those ingredients are, put it back on the shelf. There's so much hidden garbage in our foods these days, you really need to get back to basics. Even start hitting up the local farmers markets.

I constantly get from people thinking that living cleanly, that I am on a diet or being restrictive on what I eat, because while they're having a bottle of coke and a packet of chips, I am there with a banana and bottle of water. Far from the truth, I constantly think about food, I eat like a pig, I eat a lot and I make some pretty awesome food. The difference is, I make it and I know exactly what is in it.

Basically try and live a clean, healthy active lifestyle. I used to suffer from the same reflux quite badly, there were nights i would be in bed in chronic pain, in the fetal position weeping, but then again, I was fat, lazy, ate crap, drank crap, like the majority of the population and of course I felt crap because of it. Changed my ways now i feel fantastic and reflux is just a term other people use and complain about now.

Give it a crack for a month or two and see what happens. Who knows, you might even find other things you didn't even realise were a problem have gone to.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
I'm a nexium user as well, it does the job for me. But there are certain foods I avoid and at particular times of the day. Like I dont eat fruit as soon as I wake up or go to bed, I especially avoid kiwi fruit, bananas and paw paw.

When Im at my fittest I only eat when I feel like eating, Im not obsessed with the whole "must eat three times a day cos thats how I was brought up" its a load of bull. Boy do you drop the weight and feel a whole lot better. And drinking water, I drink a gallon a day.

As soon as I stray from my own discovered healthy regime, I put on weight and gout flares up :lol:

But my healthy regime certainly helps with relfux, and I can go for weeks sometimes months without needing to take nexium.

Oh yeah, I barely drink beer anymore, I have a couple of fat yaks at hogs breathe now and then and otherwise its a shot of tequila when i get home from work or a bottle of merlot over a weekend.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Sorry you are suffering Gogo. I hope you can get a handle on it.

I've never had it myself but when you get as far down the track as me you'll be bound to have a mate who's got it. They mostly have something, diabetes is much more common than people might think.

Anyhow, the bloke I know who's got it said that he turned the corner after spending some time being helped by a dietitian. He reckons the advice here is pretty good:
GERD and Your Diet: Foods to Include and Foods to Avoid

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use Somax and if it's real bad I'll pop a 24hr relief Zantac... What strength are your pills I have the 40mg pills and only suffer from my own doing.... Southern comfort bloody thing... I find lots of water also helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Lie on your left side.

I only get it rarely and not enough data to figure out what causes it.

I find sleeping on my left side does the trick. Its all to do with where your stomach is.

Cheers

Justin

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,172 Posts
Is Re-flux the same thing as what we used to call Heartburn?

Cheers....Lionel.

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went three months with no alcohol, only water. The same time I ate salads with no dressing. I had lots of yoghurt.
No acidic foods like tomatoes. Seemed to only make a minor difference, so for the not drinking any beer.....I say fcuk that. The benefit from my not drinking was not of enough scale to justify compete sobriety.

I had 40mg Nexium and 4 Zantac a day at the same time as the above. Honestly not as much difference again as I'd thought. I mean, for the money the pills cost, I couldn't see equal value effect.

I'm thinking, fcuk it and just get the op. I would like to find someone that's had it first.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
I drink 20mm of this stuff in half as glass of warm water when I get up, and before I go to bed.
Sometimes after fish n chips I got have a dose afterwards.
I used to eat a pack of Quikeze a day. Went on the tablets from the Doc and didn't like the bloating. Got worse after quitting cigs 6 years ago. The Apple Cider Vinegar solved it for me. Corrects the alkaline level in the gut.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Here I am, sitting up in the couch with a stabbing pain between my shoulder blades due to reflux.
I went to the quacks a year ago because I was burping and getting pains all through the day.

I've had three gastroscopies done, and he gave me nexium, rabeprozole and a few others. None of which worked. So I've changed my diet, gone to light beer, can only have three a night or this happens. (had four last night)
There is an op they can do which involves taking the top of the stomach and wrapping it around the esophagus to tighten the sphincter that controls the entry.
He tells me to take the pills to reduce acid, but it does nothing. And I'm stuffed if I'm taking six tablets a day for no effect the rest of my life.

Has anyone got this problem? Or had the op.
What do you do to try to control acid?
I've had this for eons, had all the crap that goes with it and have the same issue with booze 3-4beers and I know I'm going to have a bad night, rabeprozole sort of has mine under control as long as I take it every morning, on the times it doesn't I add copious swigs of Gavescon Dual Action to top up. On the nights I know I'm going to wake up spluttering I sleep on my back with my head raised above my abdomen and this helps stop the creep up through the night.

One of the problems with it is if you allow it to continue for too long the rising acid damages the lining above the esophagus that isn't acid resistant and causes scarring that further damages the seal and on it goes. Surprisingly I find that spicy foods like stir fries and chillies help me a lot.

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
I had bad reflux, to the point where I would get a mouthfull standing up. Lying down was horrid. I ended up having a Nissen Fundoplication (the procedure you described). It was the best thing I did. What I did not know was that I would never be able to vomit again - until it happened. Down side is you still dry reach & it hurts, whatever you have has to pass through. Fortunatly this has happened once in the 10 years since the operation. Having said that, I still would have had the operation regardless.

Reactions: Guted

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So how long were you out of action after? Was it open or keyhole?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I tried peppermint tea and slippery elm tablets. They worked really well for me ( along with the nexium ) but my gut troubles were mostly related to my gut deciding it didn't like 22 years of shift work, too much coffee and too many anti inflammatory meds. If nothing else the peppermint tea drunk regularly keeps the stomach flushed with clean clear fluid.

Good luck mate and keep going to the drs til you get something that works.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts