Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My dashboard is a bit worn due to sunlight and heat probably. I was thinking about painting it but I'm not really sure if it will hold over time. Has anyone experience with painting it? Can it withstand sunlight, even long term?
Second thought was to wrap it but since there are a lot of roundings and corners etc., I 'm even less convinced that it will hold. Any thoughts?

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,280 Posts
Buy a dash mat.

Reactions: Bovril

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,949 Posts
I've painted mine. Its held up ok, no noticeable fading over the last 5 years, there were a couple of small areas that lifted but i touched those up.
Use a plastic paint, and prep it VERY well. You will likely encounter vinyl/plastic dye aerosol type products. They are not dyes, they are paints, if you scratch or beat the surface up a bit it'll scratch just like any other paint. Done right the adhesion can be pretty decent, I have a UHF attached to the side of my centre console with double sided tape (didn't want to drill holes) and the paint has not peeled away. One strip of double sided tape failed before the paint did which I was impressed with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A dashmat isn't really an option since my centre console is also worn. So the plan is to treat all interior parts now that everything is dissassembled. I think I'll go with painting it.

@james008, did you use a primer or just painted directly on the parts?

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,949 Posts
Yes I did use a primer. Primer over a bare substrate is an important step of preparation for paint.
It was VHT adhesion promoter, I also used a VHT top coat.
Any primer designed for plastics should be okay as long as the top coat is compatible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts