Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to whether any Y62 punters have filled their tanks with Regular Unleaded.
I understand that Nissan says the thing is supposed to drink Premium (RON98) but maybe, just maybe, someone has accidentally or intentionally :p filled with Regular.

Experiences please, if you have. :driving:

·
Registered
nissan
207 Posts
Hello mate, I do not have one yet but have asked alot of questions to people who do own one, one thing they stated is they run their Y62 on normal unleaded with no issues (both owners have around 30k each on their vehicles)..
Nissan told them that running the Y62 on normal unlead would cause it to ping at idle but neither owner has experienced this to date..
i was told that a vehicle that as a rule of thumb that you should run one tank of premium for every 3 tanks of normal unleaded

cheers

squiz

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3.0Td
29 Posts
Your paying close to 70 - 120k for a car and u cheap out on fuel? HAHAHHAHA
sorry chaps, but why????? Theres a reason why they say only put "Premium fuel" in, maybe it has something to do with the high performance V8 under the hood an that it was designed, tested and dyno tuned for these fuels, so kinda makes sense TO only put 98 in if it was built like that

anyone who puts in 91 obviously doesnt care about cars, cause if u truly loved ur car u would only ever put the best stuff in it ;)

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,426 Posts
sorry chaps, but why????? Theres a reason why they say only put "Premium fuel" in, maybe it has something to do with the high performance V8 under the hood an that it was designed, tested and dyno tuned for these fuels, so kinda makes sense TO only put 98 in if it was built like that

anyone who puts in 91 obviously doesnt care about cars, cause if u truly loved ur car u would only ever put the best stuff in it ;)
Hahaha maybe but who actually loves their car lol.

SENT FROM ME

·
Registered
A45 AMG, Ranger :(
1,163 Posts
With modern petrol engine's it will be fine. In winter even more so. There is bulk knock protection in these engine's and with VVTL and DI there is extremely fine control of the combustion.

The only negative's i could see from running 91 octane is markedly reduced performance, less economy as the ECU will not be able to advance the timing as far on cruise due to the lower octane and increased chance of a substantial engine knock.

Like someone else pointed out, i would only run in it if necessary, not everyday. Its only a few cents more expensive.

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
i've run 95 in mine from the start, i think any difference in performance switching to 98 wouldn't even be noticeable, definitely no signs of detonation etc not that'd i'd expect there to be any.
i'll keep running 95 in ours, when we do get some travelling done i'll just keep few bottles of booster in it in case some remote places only have 91, though having lived in and travelled the pilbara for the last 4 years i haven't seen it yet.
would only be an issue at really remote locations i think.

·
Registered
nissan
310 Posts
Run mine on 95 and 98 with no noticeable differences, although I have noticed mine doesn't like bp ultimate 98, lacks power and can't get economy out of it. No dramas with caltex though

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
I've just tried a tank of the United Fuels P100 which is 100 octane with 10% ethanol and it runs very well, very smooth and responsive and so far a bit better fuel economy
I'll try it again and see he it goes

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,166 Posts
My Wifes 2004 Reno Laguna due to high compression (this is a key factor) was required to run on 98 (now this is RON not MON) she would fill it with 91 and every month or so I'd put the good stuff into it and the engine was still fantastic (pity about the rest of the vehicle) when we got rid of it.

I don't know the full detail of how RON (Research Octane Number F1) and MON (Motor Octane Number F2) compare, but there are some differences. But having said that it all comes down to Compression ratio, that is why you will get pinging in some engines and not in others also it may effect engine temperatures and efficiency, I've seen vehicles where the extra cost of the 98 more than paid for itself in eco.

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
How does p100 compare price and economy wise?
Another factor is the cars ecu smarts, some will detect lower quality fuel and change timing etc to suit, at a loss of performance obviously

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,664 Posts
I ran P100 in my last car and can say with a bit of tuning was able to net a few more killerwasps. Nothing compared to e85 though. I'm a big believer in running the fuel that the engine was tuned for. Some cars have flexfuel sensors and can detect lower octane fuel and compensate.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
Ran a full tank on 95 and managed 14.4L per 100km.

Then the very next tank was on 98 bp ultimate, same load, same conditions, 13.6L per 100km.

That was a full tank approx 900km per trip.

Love the low fuel warning....172kms to go. Old car only warned with 50 to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for all the sensible responses! Flippant comments have been ignored!

I don't own a Y62 and as I said in my OP, I was curious is all.

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
I have been running 95 Ron e10 from the local and still getting 15/100. Happy with that at 131.9cents per litre.

·
Registered
1 Posts

The main reason is that out west 95 octane petrol is generally not available

·
Registered
nissan
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! Can't believe I started this thread this 6 years ago!
Well, since then, I purchased aY62 ST-L demo in 2015 and have had nearly 60,000 trouble free kms since.
Most of the vehicle's usage is towing and as I live in WA there's a lot of remote (and not so remote) places that we visit which have no 95 or 98. In every case, I've filled with 91 and in every case have had no issue other than slightly less performance and slightly worse consumption compared to 95/98.
For those that take the trouble to read their owners manuals, they'll see that it's perfectly OK to run 91 with performance/consumption changes as I've outlined above.
As we tow a rather heavy van (3.2t max) I DO prefer to use 95 but like others have found no real benefit in paying extra for 98.
All of the model series after mine came with VVEL on the exhaust side as well as intake so consumption figures would be an improvement on Series 1 vehicles.
That's my experience for what it's worth.
YMMV

·
Registered
Y62 Series 3 (and others...)
35 Posts
Run 98 usually and, of that, usually BP98. On occasion I fill from the family station, where there is only Caltex 91. I've never noticed any difference between the two except that the 91 will be maybe 2/100l km less efficient.

Don't care to run it on 91 all the time, as I can afford 98, but I don't think it would affect the motor at all. As mentioned above, the manual mentions that 98 is "recommended for maximum performance" but 91 will do fine IMO. Y62 Series 3, 105,000 on the clock.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,614 Posts
During my time at Nissan Aus we had 2 RHD Production Trial Y62's in the fleet. Being PT's they were from the first batch of RHD vehicles, so effectively pre Series-1. We used both as "workhorses". Whenever we needed to tow heavy loads or needed to transport a lot of engineering stuff that we wanted to keep covered, we used the '62's. They were also often used as support vehicles for Marketing events, so they were worked quite hard and, apart from the odd service (when someone remembered) not really very well maintained.

The BP fuel cards we used to fill company cars with were only supposed to be used with 91 or diesel, except for GT-R's where we had to use 98. The two Y62's never saw a drop of 98 in their lives and they never had any issues. One was mothballed and eventually scrapped as it suffered the dreaded timing chain rattle. The other kept going, I believe until late last year when it was finally replaced with a Series-5. Both had to be crushed as PT's cannot be sold.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts