Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all
just brought a new internally regulated alternator for my L28 petrol mk shorty. I have looked around found some info on the interweb about it nothing straight forward on what is needed to be done to get this working. do I plug the old wires all in the same way at the alternator and how do I bypass the external reg .I no it,s only 2 wires but witch to pic,s of the bypass would be great

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
There are 2 wires that you need to worry about

The sense wire goes to the battery.

The L - lamp wire goes to the dash lamp - this must be connected as it provides exciter voltage to the alternator. If you mix them up you will find that the alt draws a lot of current on standby.

·
Registered
nissan
281 Posts
I've got a commo v8 in mine so I'm using the commo bosch 85amp I,R alt.
I have joined the S & L to the connector that used to join to the reg.
the light and sense wires are there. I will check the colours and let you know.

·
Registered
nissan
281 Posts
ok do u no what wires go where I mean witch is s and L
Pretty sure the white with red trace is the sense and the brown is the light.
This could be wrong,might be the other way round
To test ,
They both will measure 12v.
Use an inline fuse holder and earth the brown wire it should bring on the alt light.
If you blow the fuse it is the sense wire.
If that makes sense.
My wiring is all taped up so I can't see which one goes where.

·
Registered
nissan
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok will try.does it matter that my alt is a hitashi and not bosch .I had a auto dude here today he only reackon I need 1 white with black and white with red he jumped the 2 and got smoke and funny smell .he reckon the alt faulty but new alter

·
Registered
nissan
281 Posts
ok will try.does it matter that my alt is a hitashi and not bosch .I had a auto dude here today he only reackon I need 1 white with black and white with red he jumped the 2 and got smoke and funny smell .he reckon the alt faulty but new alter
OH no sounds like he let the smoke out.
when I was apprentice I was told "Never let the smoke out of the box cause then it's
****ed"
Could you post up a picture of the back of the alt,might help

·
Registered
nissan
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hello all again got it working got another new alt hocked it up the way NEO6U said but brown is sencer and white with red trace is lamp. but thank you all for taking the time to reply

1 - 14 of 14 Posts