Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all,

Got myself in a bit of bother the other day. Short story is that I had to winch up a 4ft, nearly vertical step, up out of a river on the battery only, as the motor would not start and I was going to try and roll start it backwards.

Halfway up, with the cable under full strain I realised the tree I was hooked on to wasn’t the right choice, so I wanted to change trees but I couldn’t lower it back down. The brake was obviously engaged but I couldn’t relieve the strain with a dead motor. Couldn’t put a jack under anywhere to push it up the rise a bit either. Almost went the chainsaw to cut the cable.

Tried the out button many, many times and eventually it worked. To tell the truth in the the chaos, swearing and cursing myself I don’t know why it worked on that particular occasion.

I was by myself, 5 hour walk to nearest town.

Does anybody have any tips on such a situation, that is, how to release a cable under strain with no motor?

Stewie.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
i know you said u couldnt start the motor but in situations where you can just try driving foward a bit to take the pressure off the cable. doesnt the leaver on the winch disengage the clutch so it spools?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'd get my hand winch out the back if I was struggling.
Personally I don't want to completely rely on my electric winch.

·
Registered
422 Posts
G'day all,

Got myself in a bit of bother the other day. Short story is that I had to winch up a 4ft, nearly vertical step, up out of a river on the battery only, as the motor would not start and I was going to try and roll start it backwards.

Halfway up, with the cable under full strain I realised the tree I was hooked on to wasn’t the right choice, so I wanted to change trees but I couldn’t lower it back down. The brake was obviously engaged but I couldn’t relieve the strain with a dead motor. Couldn’t put a jack under anywhere to push it up the rise a bit either. Almost went the chainsaw to cut the cable.

Tried the out button many, many times and eventually it worked. To tell the truth in the the chaos, swearing and cursing myself I don’t know why it worked on that particular occasion.

I was by myself, 5 hour walk to nearest town.

Does anybody have any tips on such a situation, that is, how to release a cable under strain with no motor?

Stewie.
Quote"Almost went the chainsaw to cut the cable."

Good luck with that!!!

Sounds like you need to get some maintenance done on your winch(Not uncommon, most people, myself included do nothing until it doesn't work).

Assuming (Lots) the vehicle is halfway up the bank and that the cable is under load, cutting the cable(Assuming you could) would most likely end in tradgedy.

Also was the tree choice a position thing or a problem with the tree removing itself under load?

Edited due to stupid statement, containing useless information.

Then and only when all options are exhausted would I be trying the freespool lever. I know the lever will not move if it is still under load, but I hopefully it will not be at this stage. If that still doesn't work, go behind the tree and cut your tree protector.

Again assuming lots of factors.....Anyone else got suggestions?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
you've lost me mate, if you chock the tyres and let some air out wouldnt i sag the tyres against the rock making the same load against the cable (assuming the cable is taking the entire load of the car as its pulled the car up on its own.)

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
dont go wheeling by yourself?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
102 Posts
If for what ever reason youve got to go by yourself I would take every recovery device imaginable, a mobile phone and a good CB or sat phone to call for assistance cause in this instance a second vehicle for recovery really is your only safe choice.

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
'Doesn’t the leaver on the winch disengage the clutch so it spools?'

Tried that a few times. Wouldn’t move. Was gonna hit with a hammer but was sure it would only break the lever.

'Personally I don't want to completely rely on my electric winch.'

That’s the go. A hand winch. Have a hi-lift (at home in the shed :confused:).

'Quote"Almost went the chainsaw to cut the cable."

Good luck with that!!!'

Been done before by a mate of a mate. Actually same river (Wentworth R., Vic., three xings down) Pile branches on top of cable and sacrifice chain on saw. Cut close to tree or vehicle.

'Sounds like you need to get some maintenance………'

What maintenance overcomes this situation?

'Also was the tree choice a position thing or a problem with the tree removing itself under load?'

A position thing. There was a log embedded in the bank pushing into my tyre threatening to push the tyre off the rim. I had to straighten the pull up to alleviate that pressure.

'dont go wheeling by yourself?'

I knew someone would say that. I work as a prospector. Have many, many thousands of (4wd) kilometres under my belt. Just stuffed up on the day. It was a reccy trip, dry, knew the area well. Bullbar hit the bank and I stalled it. Unusual for me to stall it but **** happens. Then found out the clutch in the starter motor was rooted. Bugger.

Thanks for replies.

Stewie.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
'Personally I don't want to completely rely on my electric winch.'

That’s the go. A hand winch. Have a hi-lift (at home in the shed :confused:).
Yep, I'm sure we've all done similar. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Karma says that you wouldn't have got stuck if you had it with you ;)
It's like when it only rains after you've polished your car.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Just another thought, which may or may not have worked, is to throw it in low first and try cranking it.
You may have been able to jolt the winch back into action or moved enough to release the tension.

Not the best I know, but if you are there on your own it could have been worth a try.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Been done before by a mate of a mate. Actually same river (Wentworth R., Vic., three xings down) Pile branches on top of cable and sacrifice chain on saw. Cut close to tree or vehicle. .
Id pay money to see that... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
422 Posts
you've lost me mate, if you chock the tyres and let some air out wouldnt i sag the tyres against the rock making the same load against the cable (assuming the cable is taking the entire load of the car as its pulled the car up on its own.)
Hmmm, Your right! I'm an idiot.....:headwall: Perhaps then you could rechock the flat tyres and pump them back up!!!!pushing the car forward!!!:D

In all honesty I would be pulling the winch relay box apart and getting the winch to back off.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
how about a winch extension strap doubled over between car and tree , then stick a hefty branch between the straps and start twisting, i havnt tried it but sounds good in theory

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
how about a winch extension strap doubled over between car and tree , then stick a hefty branch between the straps and start twisting, i havnt tried it but sounds good in theory
moving 3ton? and then if it does work, you lose grip and wear a branch spinning like a propeller in the moosh...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I like your thinking but I think you'd need to eat a lot of weetbix first and find a very strong branch ;)

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,689 Posts
moving 3ton? and then if it does work, you lose grip and wear a branch spinning like a propeller in the moosh...
As long as the video is posted on utube I don't see a problem here. ;)

As for cutting a winch cable that is under load with a chainsaw. I don't want to see that video.

As a solution to the problem. You could always dodgy power the winch using your jumper leads.

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Karma says that you wouldn't have got stuck if you had it with you

Exactly. I’ve got use to minimising weight and don’t often take the hi-lift anymore. Never used it in 20 years. Awkward bloody thing it is. Good for lifting fence posts out.

‘is to throw it in low first and try cranking it.’

The thought crossed my mind but no starter motor, no cranking. Just cranky.

Id pay money to see that...

Me too.

The guy had bellied out on a big pile of flood debris left by floods following 2007 wildfires. Full strain on cable, wouldn’t release. Chainsaw did the job though. Crazy but what you do?

‘how about a winch extension strap doubled over between car and tree , then stick a hefty branch between the straps and start twisting’

Sounds a little dangerous that but I tried something similar. Lent a rock against the back of tyre, went halfway down cable and pulled sideways and jumped on it to try and move the car forward a bit and then have the rock fall over and chock that wheel. I was talking to myself by then and was right. “This is a stupid idea”.

The rock fell over though.

I just had an idea.:idea:

I should have cut the appropriate log, sat it halfway down cable, put jack on log/ under cable and jacked cable up. Pull car forward, chock wheels, let down jack, tension off winch. Bingo. Oh well.

‘You could always dodgy power the winch using your jumper leads.’

How do you do that Skegbudley?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
As a solution to the problem. You could always dodgy power the winch using your jumper leads.
That is providing that the problem with the winch was with the solinoid box and not a mechanical problem but i like the idea anyway.

so did you end up being able to roll start it once you got the winch off? was it just water in the starter or have you had to get it rebuilt?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
‘is to throw it in low first and try cranking it.’

The thought crossed my mind but no starter motor, no cranking. Just cranky.

‘You could always dodgy power the winch using your jumper leads.’

How do you do that Skegbudley?
Sorry fella, I thought you said it wouldn't start, not wouldn't turn over, so I wasn't much help there :roll:

The dodgey wiring with jumpers may have been an option (I think he meant from battery straight onto winch terminal, bypassing the solenoid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts