Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Does remeberance day mean to you?

Do you tip your hat to someone in particular?

or are you just grateful to all of them for everything they have done for us!!!

LEST WE FORGET.

·
Registered
468 Posts

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.

Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,

They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

Lest We Forget

----------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I struggle when I hear **** like this

The statutory roads (Vicroads) body earlier told 3AW radio it has not observed the tradition for a number of years as it is “conscious of possible different cultural issues and (doesn't) wish to cause offence to anyone”.
Offend anyone? What about Offending Aussies, or war veterans?

**** cultural issues, your living in Australia. Why are we so scared to offend .00004% of people instead of the 99+% of others that do want it? :headwall::headwall::headwall::headwall::headwall::headwall:

·
Banned
616 Posts
Last rememberence day I flew to Thailand and took the train up north to the railway and missed the service by two hours. One before I had just come back from a quick trip to the States and had a real nice "US POW" zippo lighter. I went to the war memorial in Canberra on rememberence day and there was this Vietnam Vet in a wheel chair sitting off by himself so I walk up to him and I say G'day mate, just want you to know I appreciate what you blokes did and gave him the lighter. I'll never quite forget how he looked at me like I was a complete f'kn idiot and wheeled off without saying thanks or anything. This rememberence day, Im just staying home but I still appreciate our diggers.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
To me it means that I still can fight those who wish to control our every move (what I buy, what I believe, where I live, etc) for their profit and power without being stood up against a wall and shot.

It is also a reminder that although many fought and paid for me to have this freedom, their are many others in the world who have yet to have the same.

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts

**** cultural issues, your living in Australia. Why are we so scared to offend .00004% of people instead of the 99+% of others that do want it? :headwall::headwall::headwall::headwall::headwall::headwall:
Yep that **** is not on, bad enough when "cultural issues" affect our normal way off living, but on a day such as Remembrance day.....
Ever since primary school and the services we used to have it has always made me thankful for the diggers and get a chill when I here the sounding of the last post

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Your right Bruce, it's a crock of chit!
Not to offend anyone, what about all the fallen in war and family members (incl my own) that have died for this country.

Give them my number and I'll teach them.

Still upsets me when in a RSL and at six pm when the the lights go off and red light comes on....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
338 Posts
Rememberance day just means that .Lets be proud and honour the people that gave up so much so we could be australian.I'll leave it at that or i will get banned for speaking my mind (love it or leave)

·
Registered
nissan 99gu patrol ute st
864 Posts
Here's a bit of food for thought.

Sir Edmund Barton's ideas on Immigrants and being an Australian in 1907.

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an Australian
and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else,
for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin.
But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an Australian, and nothing but an Australian...
There can be no divided allegiance here.
Any man who says he is an Australian, but something else also, isn't an Australian at all.
We have room for but one flag, the Australian flag....
We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...
and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the Australian people.'
Edmund Barton

·
Registered
nissan
337 Posts
Remembrance day is about respect and honouring the people that died serving their country. They may have been black, white, brown, yellow or any other colour in between. Fact is they served their country and paid the ultimate price doing so.

I am from South Africa originally, now a proud Australian citizen. Visiting a little museum in Gympie the other day I saw amongst all the war memorabilia a rifle ( boer rifle) from the boer war with an inscription of the man's name and rank on the butt. I immediately thought of how much his family would appreciate it if this was handed back to them. Something they can remember him by. I know a lot of people with the same surname that is on the rifle, who knows this may be their great grandfather's rifle. Something they can remember him by. He died defending his country just the same.

I honour the South African fallen as do I honour the Australian fallen. They served their country without question and paid the ultimate price.

I recon Vicroads got it totally wrong it's not about culture it is about dignified respect for the ones that have fallen defending the country we now live in.

As for Sir Edmund Barton's comments , he got most of it right........but not all

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,374 Posts

Are you f***ing serious? You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This one very thing has pissed me riiiiiiggghhttt off. Thats it. There all fukt, anyone who believes that we dont have rememberance day because of cultural differences will get a steel bar to their f***ing face. No ifs or buts.

We have this country because of people who died to fight to have this. You dont bring your s*** to Australia and start telling us how it is. No, you can **** off. Or I will hurt you, severly.

I bet thats the irony these f*** heads would be waiting for......a war to fix a problem.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,674 Posts
Vicroads are ********s, they are offending me by not having a minute silence!!! If the mongrels working there get offended by having a minute silence then there not appreciating where they are and should be deported or shot. If you want to live here appreciate it and our customs or **** off somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

****'n BAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! ANGRY FACE!!!!!!!

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys,

Yes i do believe the Vicroads thing is terrible, see my rant on the let off steam thread regarding something similar. I'm not sure this particular thread is the place for the whole "love it or leave it" mentality.

Lets not turn yet another thread into a political stand point on immigration. Please don't think i'm in any way condoning the actions of Vicroads etc. (or anyone who seeks to undermine our unique Australian culture) I just think maybe this thread should be more about praising the memory of our valiant fallen. Wouldn't you rather use this space to say thank you to those we owe it to rather than scorning people who wouldn't care less anyway.

Cheers

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,674 Posts
Hey guys,

Yes i do believe the Vicroads thing is terrible, see my rant on the let off steam thread regarding something similar. I'm not sure this particular thread is the place for the whole "love it or leave it" mentality.

Lets not turn yet another thread into a political stand point on immigration. Please don't think i'm in any way condoning the actions of Vicroads etc. (or anyone who seeks to undermine our unique Australian culture) I just think maybe this thread should be more about praising the memory of our valiant fallen. Wouldn't you rather use this space to say thank you to those we owe it to rather than scorning people who wouldn't care less anyway.

Cheers
Its not about being patriotic, its about the freedoms this country presents for us and foreigners but then it goes unappreciated by 'US' and foreigners. As MJ said "it doesn't matter if your black or white" but appreciate what has been given to you!!

·
Banned
616 Posts
Wanna say that rememberance day is also about our allies (and our enemies??) but especialy our allies. Sending some remeberence day love out to all the kiwis and canadians (G'day canuck), Yanks and (coughcoughSingapor) English.

·
Registered
468 Posts
"Long Live Freedom and God Save the Queen"

Winston Churchill concluding his speech announcing German surrender in WWII.

Call it nit-picking if you wish, but I believe that what he actually said was >>

"Advance, Britannia! Long live the cause of freedom! God save the King!"

(source here >> End of the War in Europe )

King George VI was reigning Monarch at the time

:) ;)

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
The apprentices at work didnt even know what the poppy on my hat meant. I told 1 of them not to talk during the minutes silence cause it is a sign of respect for the people that fought for what we have today. I am only 31 and have a lot of respect for these people who served for our country.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts