Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I’m removing all my carpet to lay some sound deadener and have found several open bolt holes in the floor pan. This pic is right under the centre console compartment box for instance. I’m seeing daylight through one of them so will find a bolt to suit.

my question is, are there any of these bolt holes that are supposed to be left open? I.e, won’t allow water through? Or should I just go about sealing them all up.
I Don’t suspect any reason the previous owner removed them...

there’s also these ones near the seat mounting holes

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seal them.
Roger wilco.

The two I circled in red are large unthreaded holes, like they would usually be sealed with a rubber grommet.
Also I imagine the threaded holes will be automotive thread, and thus hard to to find bolts to suit.

I was thinking of taping over them with some kind waterproof tape or flashing tape....

Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
Roger wilco.

The two I circled in red are large unthreaded holes, like they would usually be sealed with a rubber grommet.
Also I imagine the threaded holes will be automotive thread, and thus hard to to find bolts to suit.

I was thinking of taping over them with some kind waterproof tape or flashing tape....

Any thoughts?
They should be metric threads that would be available from any good fastener supplier. At worst fill with silicone and tape over then spray your coating.

·
Registered
All work done the hard way
520 Posts
@jackbyo
Seal them. Mine had the same, I cut sections out from an ice cream bucket to make a nice patch to cover the hole and used silicon to stick it down. Have had no problems since, cost me nothing, and it's easily un-doable if necessary (the hole itself isn't filled with silicon).

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Will seal them up with bolts where possible and silicone where not. I suspect the butyl sound deadener makes a great seal in any case.

Why would nissan leave so many holes through the floor?!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
Thanks guys. Will seal them up with bolts where possible and silicone where not. I suspect the butyl sound deadener makes a great seal in any case.

Why would nissan leave so many holes through the floor?!
Vehicles don't have a lot of basic changes within the same model, ie, you will find unused plugs in the wiring loom everywhere on different 'creature comfort' models within the GU stable, this cuts down on expensive inventory, I've never had the back carpet up on my 21 year old girl but have spent many hours underneath doing mods etc and never noticed a hole that goes all the way through yet, but have seen many plugs of differing styles in unused holes. I've done a lot of creek crossings and never had a skeric of water enter the cabin, also after I've been on a beach I setup a garden sprinkler under the vehicle and in 5 minute periods pull it up along the longitudinal centreline of the vehicle a metre at a time to make sure I get every bit of sand out from under, still never a sign of water on the inside.

·
Registered
239 Posts
hey jack, don't stress about the 2 holes circled in red. I believe the floor pan forms a bit of a sealed triangle there, and there's no path through to the outside world.

The 3 bolt holes in your first pick look like they're for the bracket that the centre console screws down into.

if in doubt, slap some silicone into them and cover them with tape. The silicone is really easy to dig out of bolt holes and you can run a tap through them if needed.

as GU2 noted, all the captured nuts should be a standard metric thread. the only exception to this is be any bolts used to fix the seatbelts. they're a special thread.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys.

those holes aren’t for that centre console bracket. That’s held in by the 2 that are visible in my pic above. Might have something to do with models that have rear AC controls there?

You’re right about the big round holes. Not a speck of dust inside there

I asked on the Facebook group and it seems the bolt holes are always empty. odd but no matter.
For anyone interested, they are m10. I grabbed some 25mm bolts from Bunnings.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Cheers guys.

those holes aren’t for that centre console bracket. That’s held in by the 2 that are visible in my pic above. Might have something to do with models that have rear AC controls there?

You’re right about the big round holes. Not a speck of dust inside there

I asked on the Facebook group and it seems the bolt holes are always empty. odd but no matter.
For anyone interested, they are m10. I grabbed some 25mm bolts from Bunnings.
Honestly, I can't remember what those holes are for in that case. do know that I used the 2x outside ones for the upgraded center console. I'll see if i've got some more photos at home to get to the bottom of it. I think i probably covered any bolt holes with some of the aluminium tape in the carbuilders kit.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I take it back. They don’t appear to be m10 sized holes.
They all accept the bolt that holds the seat down, which measures at 9.85mm on the calipers. The m10 I bought are 9.70mm and won’t get in at all.
I’m running short on time for this so silicone it is.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
View attachment 532359
Factory bolt on the right. Is that a fine thread pitch perhaps?
Could be, I have thread gauges here, 10mm can come in 1.5mm pitch and 1.25mm pitch the genuine one looks like 1.25mm, if you want the finer one go to a good fastener store.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,599 Posts
Ok I take it back. They don’t appear to be m10 sized holes.
They all accept the bolt that holds the seat down, which measures at 9.85mm on the calipers. The m10 I bought are 9.70mm and won’t get in at all.
I’m running short on time for this so silicone it is.

If your spraying the sound deadener on then use silicone. If you are using the butyl sheets the just stick it down over them and the seal will be fine.

If down the track you plan to use any of said covered hole with thread you can then cut the butyl with a stanley knife from the top of the holes and remove it rather easily as it isnt stuck to the void.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I take it back again.
The holes won’t take either of the above bolts (m10 is too large, factory seat bolt too small).
Who knows what size bolt they would accept, but some mysteries are best left unsolved!

they’re getting sound deadenered in any case

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
I take it back again.
The holes won’t take either of the above bolts (m10 is too large, factory seat bolt too small).
Who knows what size bolt they would accept, but some mysteries are best left unsolved!

they’re getting sound deadenered in any case
If you have verniers, measure the internal diam of the hole so it gives us the root diameter of the thread and we can work backwards, you have my interest, I'd pull my carpet up if it wasn't such a pain in the arse ;).

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
17,442 Posts
Gorrila tape.

Reactions: geordie4x4
1 - 19 of 19 Posts