Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of cleaning up my Patrol for licensing. Most of the window tinting is peeling, so I decided to remove it all. What would I need to remove the glue, and all the residue from the tint from the windows, without causing damage to the old glass, such as scratching etc.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I googled this the other day, theres a variety of methods, some of which can damage nearby fabrics etc.

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Heaps of turps and razor blades. Soak a rag with turps, wipe a few windows so there wet with turps go back and start scrapeing the glue of and keep putting turps on to soften the glue. Rub all the left over glue off with your rag. It's the only way I know of that's works well. It's hard work, use sharp blades so you don't scratch the glass and don't use a heat gun you can crack the glass. Be careful on the heated rear window it dosnt take much to brake the element.
Hope this helps a bit,

·
Registered
nissan
298 Posts
The way I removed the glue from when I did this, was to spray heaps of warm soapy water and wait about 2 mins. You will see the glue turn light blue (it did on mine) and then use a razor blade and bam. Before I came across this method I was just spraying the soapy water and used a very fine steel wool without waiting for the glue to soften. Took me almost a day just to do the 2 barn doors and a front door using the steel wool, and 15 minutes when I found to let the glue soften.

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. I should practice what I preach and look harder next time. I found a fair bit of info after I posted this. Although its good hear more of what people found works, I don't really like the sound of the steel wool method regardless of how light you rub.

·
Registered
nissan
298 Posts
You need very fine steel wool. I used it and no scratches. I wont be using a razor blade on the barn doors which has the heater element on them otherwise you will scratch it off, hence why you use very fine steel wool. My brother had done this before I did and was told by a professional window tinter to use steel wool

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say a professional would know more than I do, and I understand what your saying, I just quiver at the thought of steel wool on a window.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
8 Posts
re tint removal

we use glue remover and steel wool ,make sure you take your door trims of as you leave glue behind and sometimes it is hard to open window as the glue sticks to the rubbers

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
Just a thought, would paint stripper work ?

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought some Shellite to remove the glue, however I think mentholated spirits would be better.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
440 Posts
Just use a steam gun??? Easy

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
1 Posts
Get some prepsol from a auto paint supplyer it works great and it wont damage paint or plastics. Iam a panel beater so i know what you should yours

·
Registered
nissan 99gu patrol ute st
865 Posts
removing window tint

Yeah chops i phoned ( express window tint qld ) when i needed to remove my old tint.
They told me to use windex or any ammonia based window cleaner to remove the old tint.
spray it over the tint, leave it for a few minutes then start to peel away the tint film.
You will have to do this a few times to remove the glue as well .

And yes it does work,this method got rid of all my old tint .
Cheers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts