Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I've been struggling to find an oil leak for awhile now. Over the weekend I borrowed a mirror to have a look under the oil pressure switch /turbo,

From what I can see I have abit of an oil leak on the bottom of the turbo (oil return line i think - runs back to the sump)

Is there an easy way to pull the turbo off so I can fit a new gasket kit??
I know for a start I need to remove the dump pipe, undo the nuts holding it onto the exhaust manifold and remove the air intake piping, return pipe (at the sump)

Any tricks I should know about to make removing some of the fiddly stuff easier??

Once the oil leak is done it's hunting for a coolant leak (leaking somewhere above the air con compressor - thermostat housing perhaps?)

Cheers

Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Guys,
I have a service manual tucked away in a box somewhere (packed up coz I'm moving house) From the picci's I can see all the bits and pieces attached that need undoing.

The other thread looks pretty comprehensive and will prove helpful too...
I'll give it a crack a few weeks from now once the move is done. I'm sure after alot of banging, swearing, cursing and skinned knuckles the job will be done.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
i recently had my heat sheild and dump pipe off to fit my EGT probe. the hardest part was getting the heat sheild out of there (my diesel gas system has more pipes than an AFL footballer's coffee table).. Lots of blood and skin was lost and my neighbours learnt a few new swear words.

When you get the dump pipe out you can see the bottom of the turbo from below, so you might not need to remove it if you can get to that pipe... not 100% though..

·
Registered
nissan patrol
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a long reach from the ground to the bottom of the turbo, especially since you are effectively working upside down... It's worth a look though considering it would save alot of fiddly stuff just to fit a $2 part.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a long time of procrastinating and putting it off, I have removed the Turbo in an attempt at changing the oil drain gasket. Yup... 5 or so hours of fiddling about, bumping knuckles and ALOT of swearing it's all off. All to fit a part worth $2.50!! (hate to see the cost of taking it to a mechanic - although they probably wouldn't take so long!)

Tried to undo the oil drain lines from underneath the car... no good. pretty much had to undo everything to remove the entire turbo. The bonus - I can inspect the insides and everything looks nice and firm and clean - no shaft play at all, all the vanes look good.

Any tips for removing the oil pressure switch and oil line from the block?? (had to undo the oil line from under the turbo once I pulled everything else off - why why why didn't I do this in the first place?? LOL)

I have a nice fresh gasket kit courtesy of Denco, although I have noticed there isn't a new gasket for the coolant piping so all the other gaskets will be fresh ones too.

Tomorrow's task - re fit the turbo and while the spanners are out, fit new water pump gasket (still searching for a leak coming from somewhere above the a/c compressor)

Then - to fit dawes / needle valve properly (dawes is in but can't get it to boost with the needle valve fitted - will boost without)

I'm off to do some more forum surfing... need a new exhaust (3" system... to come) new ecu (should be arriving this week, fingers crossed)

Cheers for the above info, proved quite helpful :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
I just pulled my turbo off to replace that little bastard $2.50 gasket. I know your pain. Once I had the turbo off, I couldnt seperate the turbo on the exhasut side. How many Kms does your Troll have and how did you get it off? I undid the nuts and it just wouldnt budge.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't looked at the odo lately, I think it's somewhere around the 220K mark.

No trouble getting everything undone, it's just a bugger trying to get it all back in!! In the process I snapped the overflow fitting from the radiator (silly me sitting in the engine bay!)

My Turbo separated from the exhaust pretty easily, is there a bracket down lower on your dump pipe that's bolted onto the block?? That would stop you being able to pull it off.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Agree with Mic, there is a small bolt holding the Cat to the block, its shown in the first picture of my first post.

Give the turbo/dump pipe studs a good dose of penetrene of equivelent to assist in removing it.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Any tips for removing the oil pressure switch and oil line from the block?? (had to undo the oil line from under the turbo once I pulled everything else off - why why why didn't I do this in the first place?? LOL)

Then - to fit dawes / needle valve properly (dawes is in but can't get it to boost with the needle valve fitted - will boost without)
Remove the pressure switch from the block with a 27mm? spanner before you reinstall the turbo. If you need the spanner, I have one you can use.

As for the Needle valve & Dawes set up issue, for a small amount of beer...., I can assist you if you want to.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found the oil pressure switch was 26mm... with a "custom" shortened spanner I got it out and a new one in.

Yet to refill the oil and coolant / check for leaks as I need a new top tank on my radiator - busted the small hose fitting on the top (it was cracked anyhow so it's for the best it's broken)

Still to fit a new ecu - and have the NATS fixed to recognize my keys.
As for the dawes / needle set up... a man who works for beers sounds pretty good to me, I can make them work individually but not when installed together, it's got me baffled.

Once I get the old girl up and running again I'll drop you a PM and get something sorted (ie time, place, number of stubbies and brand)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry to change the subject, i have an oil leak at my turbo

·
Registered
131 Posts
Zd30. Apparently this is common. Can this be fixed with a new gasket or is it something differant?

Note: It made 2 posts for some reason

·
Registered
nissan patrol
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There's a gasket between the bottom of the turbo and the oil feed / return piping, this is the little devil we've been speaking about... all $2.60 of him! If this gasket is had it's day then oil will be leaking out from under your turbo, down the oil feed / return lines, exhaust etc and making a real mess without you being able to see where it's coming from.

·
Registered
Nissan
2 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm in the process of removing my turbo for the same reason mentioned above but am stuck removing bolts holding coolant pipes on back of turbo.

How do you get to the bottom one? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
429 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm in the process of removing my turbo for the same reason mentioned above but am stuck removing bolts holding coolant pipes on back of turbo.

How do you get to the bottom one? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers
the hard lines from the bottom of the turbo?

i only had to unbolt them from the block and the turbo was free to come off. just have to be gentle and not bend the pipes.

·
Registered
Nissan
2 Posts
The bottom ones are the oil line, there are also two bolts for coolant lines between the head and side of turbo, these are the ones I'm stuck on, got top one but bottom one can't access.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts