Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Unfortunately my stock turbo has started leaking oil into the intercooler and beyond..

Can anyone suggest a good turbo and company to purchase off? I've been looking at these guys, but I'm unsure of quality.

That said, how easy is it to replace this yourself? I've heard the bolts can be a pain and are prone to breaking, any suggestions for where I can buy spares just incase?

I've replaced a few things myself such as the drive belt and tensioner, Dawes & pin needle etc I'm not too mechanically minded but if it's just part fitting I'm not too shabby!

Thanks!

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,813 Posts
Eclipse 540, had mine on for 15,000k, love it. Written up in my build thread, there is also another thread on them, do a search on eclipse.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,942 Posts

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,353 Posts
Stock Turbos from the factory all do that on these Patrols!! Maybe it's just that you took notice or spotted it lately. Stock turbo is bulletproof, it don't matter if it leaks oil in to intercooler they all do this from new, again it's normal. Check all boost hose clamps, remove and dry hose/alloy when hose joins and refit and make sure all clamps are proper tight! You will have no more leaks. You can fit a catch can but i never bothered as a little oil in the intake does no harm and if you work the Patrol hard enough the intake won't clog either from the EGR. I have never had mine clog in any of my Patrols over the last 15years of working them hard everyday. And the one time i took intake manifold off it was only slightly blocked on my last Patrol.

Stock turbo nothing wrong with it...a turbo is a turbo. I have had one run for almost 600000 in a stock ZD30 and it is still going in a second engine and flying!!

Aslong as you keep oil and clean air to a turbo you won't kill it,simple as! Just IMO yes there are great turbos out there but the Garett turbo is about as good a bang for the buck you'll get.

Reactions: DanWood

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock Turbos from the factory all do that on these Patrols!! Maybe it's just that you took notice or spotted it lately. Stock turbo is bulletproof, it don't matter if it leaks oil in to intercooler they all do this from new, again it's normal. Check all boost hose clamps, remove and dry hose/alloy when hose joins and refit and make sure all clamps are proper tight! You will have no more leaks. You can fit a catch can but i never bothered as a little oil in the intake does no harm and if you work the Patrol hard enough the intake won't clog either from the EGR. I have never had mine clog in any of my Patrols over the last 15years of working them hard everyday. And the one time i took intake manifold off it was only slightly blocked on my last Patrol.

Stock turbo nothing wrong with it...a turbo is a turbo. I have had one run for almost 600000 in a stock ZD30 and it is still going in a second engine and flying!!

Aslong as you keep oil and clean air to a turbo you won't kill it,simple as! Just IMO yes there are great turbos out there but the Garett turbo is about as good a bang for the buck you'll get.
It's not a little bit of oil, it's covering the intercooler and the pipes. There's a fair amount of it. I replaced the oil and checked the pipes and it's shooting out non clean oil back into the system.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,931 Posts
Dan a little oil through the system is fine even from new. Much of that issue is from how nissan set the VNT as it builds EMP which pushes oil past the piston ring seals on the turbine shaft. Its a product of how the EGR must work to push air into the cylinders when it is activated. Fitting VNT mechanical control valves etc trying to generate boost and performance etc has the same effect if not done correctly even when the EGR is disconnected. EMP can get quite high with these systems which is the prime cause of oil leaking past the seals.

You could try and check this if you can to stop the oil bypass. But the Garret turbo is prone to wearing the thrust washer allowing the shaft to move causing the seals to not do their job well. If you dont check this and fit a new turbo it will eventually do exactly the same in a short time. The eclipse will do the same eventually if the VNT is closed most of the time during higher rpm. It has a higher flowing turbine wheel so emp doesn't get as high as a stock turbo causing oil bypass, but a closing VNT on deceleration will cause EMP hence oil bypass even on a Eclipse. Other turbos, high flowed or otherwise will do the same thing if they haven't addressed the flow criteria of the turbine wheel. a well set up VNT control system outlined in other threads here is the correct way to address VNT control and have low EMP to solve the oil bypass issue and turbo reliability issues. If your VAC solenoid isn't working as it should that is probably your issue on a worn turbo causing higher than usual EMP.

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,353 Posts
Well that explains a few things alright Old Mav. From memory my previous Patrol which i owned almost ten years,it went for 570000K's all towing and i remember when i first bought that Patrol it was just 5years old and only 45k's onboard (Hardly ran in) owned by a british couple who traded for something smaller. Anyway, from memory i remember when i got it i changed all boost clamps and i took all boost hoses off and gave it a good pressure wash during it's first good look over BUT i was amazed when i started the thing and saw how much oil was like it was pouring out of the Turbo outlet hose (pre intercooler) anyway i took no notice as i assumed it was normal as i have had many turbos in the past and that's something that never bothered me. That thing drove on for another 500000 + K's as i say great power,little to no oil consumption in between 10k servicing intervals. I spose i was just fine with it and that turbo went in to another new engine before i sold that Patrol on!!

It depends how bad it bothers you really, some look worse than what they are because remember a turbo blowing out so much hot air at high pressure is going to make a small amount of oil look a hell of a lot worse too!! ;)

Reactions: DanWood

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys.

Hoses have splits in them around/near the clamps, absolutely pissing with oil. Looks like all of them including the one to the turbo. Any suggestions on where to purchase these online? eBay have hoses that aren't the correct diameter also look dodgy.

The EMP stuff was really interesting OldMav thanks!

And thanks Dan for the real life story of your patrol, I was surprised it had oil going through the intercooler at all and the mechanic seemed to think the seal was gone and suggested to swap it out. He was pretty adamant the seal was gone.

The issues only became present when I installed the dawes and needle value and EGR block, pushing move boost through the entire system has shown the issues with the hoses.

My stats are all using around half throttle, capped at 9psi

Above 1k rpm 1-4 boost
Above 2.3k rpm 4-7 boost
Above 3k rpm 7-9 boost
Cruising on the highway 100km/h sits around 3-5 boost depending on throttle level, obviously, more throttle = more boost.

On that note the EGR pipe has come off the bottom half, previous owner looks like they removed the bolts ... , has a audible leak (hissing) when crusing (minimal throttle) I'm not sure if this results in lost boost, in not seeing any I'll effects apart from the noise, smell and soot everywhere around the non bolted pipe.. I would assume it escaping (it blows outward) is lowers EGTs? Since it's not in the system/recirculating.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,028 Posts
Dan, suggest you get a EGR blank plate and fit it at the exhaust manifold connection point where the EGR pipe flange is bolted to the exhaust manifold. Best to remove turbo heat shield and exhaust dump pipe so you can get to it more easily. Get some bolts in to secure the EGR pipe at the other end (@ EGR cooler assy). Can also remove whole EGR pipe assy as you have blocked the EGR (personnel choice_I would block both ends and leave pipe in place).

Not sure about the availability of boost hoses off the shelf for DI, sure you could get joiners/bends etc and make them up yourself and most likely be better than ebay ones.

Sort these jobs and then look at your boost control.

By the way my CRD induction pipes have a smear (finger wipe) of bypass oil and be good idea to think about installing a catch can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dan, suggest you get a EGR blank plate and fit it at the exhaust manifold connection point where the EGR pipe flange is bolted to the exhaust manifold. Best to remove turbo heat shield and exhaust dump pipe so you can get to it more easily. Get some bolts in to secure the EGR pipe at the other end (@ EGR cooler assy). Can also remove whole EGR pipe assy as you have blocked the EGR (personnel choice_I would block both ends and leave pipe in place).

Not sure about the availability of boost hoses off the shelf for DI, sure you could get joiners/bends etc and make them up yourself and most likely be better than ebay ones.

Sort these jobs and then look at your boost control.

By the way my CRD induction pipes have a smear (finger wipe) of bypass oil and be good idea to think about installing a catch can.
Perfect thanks , I saw as post on blocking at the exhaust end and that was my next mission, is it possible to use the same EGR plate as the one I've thrown in at the top of the pipe or do I need to make one? Complete EGR system removal.

Do you know what size bolts? M10?

Definitely will leave the pipe in for any inspections.

Thanks for the tips Bidja.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Dan the plate (solid) @ exhaust manifold has 3 holes check ebay (plenty there). Not sure on bolt size would guess be M10.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dan the plate (solid) @ exhaust manifold has 3 holes check ebay (plenty there). Not sure on bolt size would guess be M10.
You're not taking about the CRD are you? You mentioned the EGR cooler before, where there isn't one the Di.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My slip up there Dan, same applies though, need to replace those missing bolts (EGR pipe) and put a blank plate at exhaust manifold.
On that note the EGR pipe has come off the bottom half, previous owner looks like they removed the bolts ... , has a audible leak (hissing) when crusing (minimal throttle)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts