Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am looking to replace the front seats in the patrol with something more supportive and comfortable for long trips.

I have been looking at the likes of recaro / stratos / SAAS / ARB Paratus etc but each of these manufacturers offer several differant types of seats and i am finding it difficult to identify what seat would work best in the patrol. I have tried a couple of the Recaro seats at the local ARB showroom and found them to be very comfortable but really wouldn't feel happy ordering them until actually trying them in the patrol.

Has anyone fitted seats from any of the above manufacturers?? if so, how are they and what was the model no....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
114 Posts
Hey mate try a search as this topic has been covered.. Your properly beter off getting new foam in your seats as it's much easer and cheaper

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Consider bolster height if your truck is lifted. PITA (literally) dragging your bum over high bolsters each time you get in or out. Paratus will allow you to mix and match squabs and seats, allows a wide combination range. e.g. a Rally back to hold you in place and a Touring base to allow easy ingress/egress. They will also cover wear points in leather if wanted. Keep away from less well-known brands.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
273 Posts
Consider bolster height if your truck is lifted. PITA (literally) dragging your bum over high bolsters each time you get in or out.
Not necessarily so. I run a Stratos 3000LS drivers seat with the big bolsters without any issues. Step up onto the sidestep, grab the handrail and swing in, avoiding landing on the bolster to save the goollies - easy! I reckon the seat backs could be taller for bigger folks. My wife uses the Stratos Suspension seat. Must be designed for people with a pin sized arse - the base could be much bigger. The suspension can be adjusted but still transmitts a mighty thump when it bottoms out. Takes out a lot of general vibration though. Like everything, its a compromise.

The biggest benefit from the aftermarket seats is the additional legroom - more than you can use - espec with the GU where the dashboard intrudes on your space. Next time I would prob seek out a better seat, maybe a Recaro if it was longer in the seat back, but I like the bolsters for off-roading and general highway work.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Not necessarily so. I run a Stratos 3000LS drivers seat with the big bolsters without any issues. Step up onto the sidestep.
You are assuming he has sidesteps, I am assuming nothing. Otherwise good points.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Consider bolster height if your truck is lifted. PITA (literally) dragging your bum over high bolsters each time you get in or out. Paratus will allow you to mix and match squabs and seats, allows a wide combination range. e.g. a Rally back to hold you in place and a Touring base to allow easy ingress/egress. They will also cover wear points in leather if wanted. Keep away from less well-known brands.
I agree with slowzuki here, I've tried a few different one in other vehicles, I found the high thigh bolsters on the seat pan a pain to get over(this also wears out the seating edge).
Bloody lovely once you're in the saddle, but getting in and out can be a crusher, if you know what I mean.

Find a company that will mix and match the squab and seat to suit your needs and build.
If budget isn't an option, go for the big names. For a lot less dollars, have your seats retrimmed and rebuilt with improved grades of foam.
I have done this successfully in the past with other cars. It helped to have a mate who was a trimmer!!!!

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
Or if you want a cheap option, I got some backrest supports from the camping show for $10 each for when we go on trips but ended up leaving them in all the time. A friend who also has a GU came on a trip in my car and was impressed the the improvement.
Don't look as good as nice aftermarket seats but worthwhile for the money.
Tony

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,

I won't mind spending the money on a set of new, say recaros, if i know they will be the best for me in this truck. Trouble is i don't really know what i want and would find it hard to narrow this down without trying several differant types of seat in the truck. Unfortunately, you cant really try before you buy and it is diffficult to get an idea of how a seat will perform in your truck when sitting in it on a showroom floor.
I guess what i was hoping for was something along the lines of that posted by Mikees giving a make and model no and the asociated benefits / dramas. this would help narrow the search, especially on the 2nd hand market. However, have noted the advice about a re-trim and will also explore this option.

BTW, i do have side steps and am 6'2" so should have no troubles getting over side bolsters.

Reactions: mnoga

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Hey mate, i had a set of saas high back, high bolstered reclining seats fitted to my old 80 series cruiser. They were very comfortable for longer tripsand very supportive off road. The one down side i did find was that on occasions the side bolsters did hurt when ya landed on then. And that the added bolsters on the side of the seats started to bruise me andmy partner, especially because i'm very broad shouldered.

·
Registered
nissan
81 Posts
Well worth the effort, I put a recaro chair in my ute and I love driving it. Because i'm also tall and my back is a bit knackered I was uncomfortable on longer trips, and lacked a little leg room, I agree with slowzuki about the squab as well.
I just kept a watch out for a second hand seat to come up, didnt take long either, about 2-3 weeks, cost me $350 and a seat base about the same, cheep when they want about 1700 for a new seat when the one I bought was about 10 years old but in great condition.
Just moor Ideas for you to consider.

cheers Paul.

Reactions: mnoga
1 - 10 of 10 Posts