Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu3 4.8
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have just secured a newer 2008 model 4.8 (TB48E) engine to replace the dead 4.8 in my 2002 GU III ST. What should I look out for when we do the changeover? I am thinking to put in a new set of oxygen sensors with the new engine. Should I clean out the inlet manifold of the new engine which have done 80,000ks? What other things should I do beside changing them over.. any information will be appreciated and thanks to some of you which I have learnt a few things from this forum. :)

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
hey GUIII i think from memory that the 02 engine is cable throttle body on it (thats wot mine has) where the 08 engine is fly by wire type u you should see the difference between the two when u put them next to each other.
wots up with your 02 engine??
would u be interested in selling it??
cheers
Mello

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu3 4.8
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks and yes i noticed the fly by wire throttle control. the pulley just outside the electric throttle control are the same as the cable control one so I guess i can just attach the throttle cable to it. But what i am worried about is the electric throttle body will need power to make it work means a bit different loom maybe? Or i can just swap the throttle body with my old one?

The engine is dead due to a valve that has dropped into the bore number 2. The engine had a new head and was done up but using the old camshaft which havent been machanicaed properly and was chipping off the top of the valve ( not sure what its called ). The head are badly damaged and the bore/piston as well from the valve coming loose inside while driving. The new head was just about a year old. I just bought the car a month ago. Lucky i got it cheap off auciton and I am looking forward to getting the new engine in! :cool:

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
due to the ECU changes the vehicle has seen over the time you'd be safer/better off just replacing all the sensors and throttle body etc with units from the Old motor to ensure 100% compatibility with your existing ECU.

would how I'd go about it. Is easier to do this now than risk it and find out a hard to reach sensor sends out a different signal!

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
thats a bugger would u be interested in sellin the engine???

I agree with yom best bet is to swap all sensors etc to ensure compatibility with your ecu

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu3 4.8
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats a good advice.. Should do that then.

Mello, yeah you can have the damaged engine but I think the price for the new engine is a changeover which i have to return the old one. Will contact you if I don't need to return the old one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts