Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I know many of you have done this but would like to create a clear cut set of instructions to follow for people who want to do the engine swap like my self.

I just got stuffed with the ZD30 which ran 220,000km and the Fuel Pump has given up and the engine is under compression so dont want to fix it and have the time bomb ticking again.

Engine Choice
Want to replace this engine with a TD42 or TD42T or TD42TI

What is recommended out of the three engines. Is it better to get a TD42 and Turbo charge it or buy a original TD42T.

I am looking for Reliability and simplicity more than out and out power so was thinking of even considering running a stock TD42

Doing the swap (Considering a TD42)
Changing from the ZD30 to TD42

What do you do with the wiring Harness and ECU of the ZD30 to accommodate a TD42.

Engine mounts need to be shifted how can this be done.

What about connecting up the accelerator etc. Since on the ZD30 it uses a potentiometer if im right.

Can the original ZD30 gearbox (manual) be used with the TD42 or are the ratios very different

What about connecting up the rev counter and engine check lights, temp gauge etc to the old dash.

Sourcing a TD42 Engine
I am struggling to source a TD42 engine. Would anyone know somewhere I could find one. I live in Sri Lanka. Looking at both options or second hand engine wouldn't mind even considering getting a brand new engine with all the bits.

Dual AC Compressor
Alternator
Gearbox
Etc

Much appreciate your support.

Regards
Crazylankan

·
Registered
111 Posts
mate, i am about to do the same thing to my wagon. I am also wondering about the electrical side.

The best thing you can do, is do what i did. Buy a donor vehicle.

1) You will need to cut the ZD30 engine mounts off the chassis and weld on the TD42 ones.
2) you can use the existing throttle pedal, just get rid of the potentiometer and attach the throttle cable from a TD42.
3) they are the same gearbox, just a different bell housing. the diffs are a higher ratio in the ZD30 so if you dont want it to rev as hard, change them too or fit bigger tyres.

I can help with any mechanical questions, but until i decide/know what to do with the electrics, i cant really help there.

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
I am struggling to source a TD42 engine.
Crazylankan

I guess that kinda answers your main question then ! See what you can get your hands on and go from there. Hate to say it (again) but Search and you'll become far far wiser on these matters. Don't forget to check the laws in your country as they will most likely dictate what you can and cannot do.

Re the wiring, you have to splce the TD engine loom into the existing ZD30 body loom. If that makes sense to yuou, you'll have no problems, if you're gonna ask, what colour wire is this etc, forget it, its not easy for non sparky types.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Where do you splice it in? Is it better to get rid of the zd30 ecu and put in the td42 instrument cluster or what?

If you have to keep the zd30 ecu, how fo you stop it chucking a wobbly when it realizes all it's sensors and the fuel pump are gone?

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Depends on which TD42 you are fitting and which IP it has. ZD30 ecu is not compatible with the TD42 in any guise. You will need a TD42 instrument cluster. Start with the OEM wiring diagrams for each specific vehicle / loom you have and work out what's compatible and what isn't. In it's simplest the TD42 only needs the starter and the IP fuel shut off valve and glow plugs powering up to run. Stuff like temp/pressure/revs sensors can be sorted by other means. Depends how OEM you what to be and what hardware you can lay your hands on without it costing a fortune.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
After thinking about it for a while with my conversion, im thinking im just going to rip the whole 3ltr engine loom out of the car, and scratch build one for the 4.2 and hook it up to the factory dash to make the gauges work, ive bought an aftermarket glow plug timer and relay, the its just getting the injector pump cut off into the ignition switch and oil water sensors etc

Ive done it before in older cars so it shouldnt be to big of a problem in this, probably the only thing ill have dramas with is the tacho and a/c but even the a/c should be able to be wired up independently

Guess it all depends on your knowledge of wiring

The only thing im stumped on till my manuals get here is on the front of the td42 timing cover is a sensor infront of the camshaft, anyone know what it is, wouldnt have thought a td42 would have a camshaft position sensor but i may be wrong!!

cheers sean

·
Registered
546 Posts
Im pretty sure youll find its the tach pickup. My tacho in my ol girl was playing up ans auto sparky mate fixed a couple of wires that were broken. I had always wondered what it was too!!!
Zappa

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
hmmmm now you mention i reckon your dead right, cause ther is no output wires on the pump to give a tacho reading so that would be the most common spot for it, why didnt i think of that, oops!!!

cheers mate!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts