Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
As the title says I have noticed today a resonating vibration 20kmh clutch in or out. Sounds like a vibrating spring I think from the front, but you know how sounds can transfer. Anyway just got home and was straight under the car. Gave each front springs a whack with the palm of my hand and they both rattled and sounded similar to my noise I think. It is somewhere to start anyway.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal for springs to rattle like this when you give them a knock with your hand. If this is normal what could be causing them to vibrate at the mentioned speed? As it happens with clutch in or out thus under load or not and at any RMP am I right in canceling out the engine and gearboxes as a cause?

Could it just be my MT MTZ's causing it as they wear and get a bit louder?

Cheers

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well mud tyres will certainly cause a fine vibration as they wear. As they wear more, the vibration becomes more pronounced. Try rotating the tyres around so as they rotate in the opposite direction and feel if there's a difference. Some people don't agree with this method of tyre rotation but I've always done it to ensure I get the maximum tread out of my tyres. You could also borrow a set of ATs and see if that makes a difference. Look at your tail shaft uni bearings too to see if they're binding or flogged.

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,105 Posts
Mud tyres can definitely do it. I had a vibration in the back of mine for ages around similar speed that I couldn't track down. Very pronounced when pulling up at lights. It sounded like the exhaust was loose. I had some new rubber mounts fitted to the exhaust but that did nothing. Ended up pulling over one day to tie a rope around the exhaust to the tow ball to see if that would shut it up.
Turned out it was the tow bar tongue vibrating :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Put her on stands to rotate the tires and found a bit of play in the front bearings. I don't think this could cause the prob but adjusted them up a couple of notches while she was off the ground. Just finished up, will try and rotate the tires after dinner.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well mud tyres will certainly cause a fine vibration as they wear. As they wear more, the vibration becomes more pronounced. Try rotating the tyres around so as they rotate in the opposite direction and feel if there's a difference. Some people don't agree with this method of tyre rotation but I've always done it to ensure I get the maximum tread out of my tyres. You could also borrow a set of ATs and see if that makes a difference. Look at your tail shaft uni bearings too to see if they're binding or flogged.
Update.

Thanks guys. Rotated the tyres so they spun the opposite way and it stopped the spring vibration.
Now I'm just chasing a smaller vibration in the back. It's amazing the resonance a muddy can cause.
Mind you what's a Nissan without a vibration or a rattle to chase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts