Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Online buys prompt retail inquiry | News.com.au

I do a lot of on-line buying, ebay especially, and it's great when the Australian dollar is high as I can get stuff that simply isn't available here and get it for a reasonable price. Retailers complaining about online buying and the $1000 threshold I think are making a mountain out of a mole hill and maybe trying to cover up for their own shortfalls, or trying to prop up franchises (Hardly Normal a case in point).

I also buy a lot of gear from Australian on-line sellers (at least 50% when it comes to high costs items, if not more) and usually only go to the overseas buyers when I can't get things from Australia, or the prices are hugely different. Though when it comes to on-line sellers, with similar items, the differences are usually small and the shipping costs are usually less as well in Australia.

On-line buying is great. There are things that I simply could never get in Australia, so I think the moaning is more to do with the fact that bricks and mortar stores haven't taken the effort to get into on-line selling, rather than losing business because of the GST threshold. I'll bet the retailer's association or whatever hasn't even checked the reality of what they perceive.

Cheers

Ray

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Hi,

It is not a secret. Shops can sell stuff on-line if they wish to. Just complaining will see them left behind, the world is changing. They have to embrace it and move forward. I always like to deal with somebody I have dealt with before, and if they gave good service I will buy again even if not the cheapest.

Regards B M

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Well if retailers dont sell online ,well they will just be left behind

Some products are 50% or more cheaper on line
UUMMM,
Well whos the smart cookie then ???
Save 50% and buy online

What annoys me about all this
Yes retailers have big overheads,but hey we pay for this in there massive mark ups

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
My nikon D700 at time of purchase last year.

Harvey Norman - $3700

Blu Fly Mobile online - $2300.

Gerry Harvey can jam it.

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
nissan
5,282 Posts
I say suffer to the shops, be competitive and stay in the buyer market, or shut your door and save you coin now!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
They are complaining about overseas items not having GST = 10% but most things overseas are MORE than 10% cheaper sometimes upto 50% cheaper. How will adding GST help local retailers markups then?

If the Gov adds 10% to items imported, most people will still do better to buy from o/s.

But I must admit I do like to see an item before I buy it which isnt always possible - even if I buy elsewhere. If all the bricks and mortar close up, that would suck.

Be competitive or die.

·
Registered
Nissan
97 Posts
Only partially agreee.

It's a different story when you need some advice or good service.
There's 4wd shops who now wont stock gps/uhf and other products because all you get is desperate folks who 'saved' money buying the wrong stuff online coming in for free service and help- you feel obliged to help them out or they'll be bad mouthing you to all and sundry. The arguement that they'll come back for something doesnt cut it.
When your crap doesnt work, doesnt fit or isn't what you thought it was, the guy who sells stuff on ebay in his undies probably wont be much use. Some might have good service but usually the markups are so low that they wont be around for long.
When folks carry about stores making these huge markups ( which are really half as much as you imagine) they fail to look at net profit- markup of 50% wont get you 15% net when you've paid rent, wages, insurance, tax and so on. That markup covers the cost to have the stock there on the spot, expert service, warrantees and backup.

It was always funny when we were importing parts to listen to guys whinging and saying they'd bring stuff in themselves. Many were shocked at what freight actually costs, heaps got stung when US and UK suppliers would agree to understate values then just not bother, even know of one brain surgeon who got royally reamed when he brought over a 5k atlas transfer , marked as a commercial sample with a zero value- cutsoms gave him a choice of having it rendered useless, seized, or paying the full whack- they're not stupid.

Since the dollar acheived parity the cost of freight from the US has shot up, a 20 foot container just cost me $1250 more than it did 12 months ago, will take 4 weeks longer and I struggled to find a freight consolidater/ forwarder on the east coast who had room.

I'm all for saving money and shop on line a fair bit, but dont be suprized by the response from retailers when you go out to do your 'research'.

·
Registered
nissan
308 Posts
Retailers have been screwing us for years, they could get on board but it requires change.. to hard for most..

·
Registered
Nissan
97 Posts
Retailers have been screwing us for years, they could get on board but it requires change.. to hard for most..
So if they offer to match any online price but only if you accept no warrantee ( take it up with the manufacturer mate), no service, no questions answered , and you cant pick anything up for a look, cant check sizes and they tell you they probably wont be there in three months time, would you still buy off them?

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only partially agreee.

You can get good advice and service over the net. Nissbits is a good example here on the forum and there are many examples elsewhere, such as Prestige communications for radios etc. It's like anything, it depends on exactly where you shop and how well you research beforehand. Lots of people have been screwed or misled by salespeople into buying the wrong item for their needs.

Cheers

Ray

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Liam66 said:
Thats sort of fair enough, but try and find a store with staff who when the 15yr old says "like I have one of these like at home myself" or "Like I fitted one just like yesterdeee like ya know, like to a blokes like patrol like" and you ask them to turn it on for you or ask how it mounts watch them **** a pile there and then on the floor or fumble and sweat for 10 mins...

Customer service and real world knowledge (try a hardware store for example)has gone. But demand for cheaper prices has killed that as everyone wants to earn $1000 a week or they dont get out of bed.

·
Registered
nissan
308 Posts
So if they offer to match any online price but only if you accept no warrantee ( take it up with the manufacturer mate), no service, no questions answered , and you cant pick anything up for a look, cant check sizes and they tell you they probably wont be there in three months time, would you still buy off them?
Don't care, ill pick carefully what i buy and do my homework first.. it's not a black art ,soon Internet shopping will be the only way.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
I agree, fck them whinging arsehole ****s and yes I work part time in retail.

How the fck do I justify paying $690 for a Chicago Pneumatic rattle gun from repco when the same damn thing from the USA is $299 to my front door? Same box.

Earls oil thermostat is $140 from Jegs.com whereas even buying it online from Earls Aus gives $260, Repco was north of $400.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Tongie said:
... soon Internet shopping will be the only way.
... and unemployment at dangerous levels.

·
Registered
Nissan
97 Posts
I agree, fck them whinging arsehole ****s and yes I work part time in retail.

How the fck do I justify paying $690 for a Chicago Pneumatic rattle gun from repco when the same damn thing from the USA is $299 to my front door? Same box.

Earls oil thermostat is $140 from Jegs.com whereas even buying it online from Earls Aus gives $260, Repco was north of $400.
Fair enough, but in the future I'm sure when you walk into a store for service on anything, the very first thing they say will be "where'd you get it from?", quickly followed by "well take it back to them sport"
The other thing I'm sure you'll see more of is manufacturers refusing to sell to online only stores. I started my first online business in 1999 ( in conjuction with a bricks and morter store) and can tell you I still wont supply to an online only store. If a manufacturers product needs tech knowledge,warrantee support or fitting then going with online guys is a death sentence. Only the most basic, idiot proof products are best served by joints that compete purely on price.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Liam66 said:
The other thing I'm sure you'll see more of is manufacturers refusing to sell to online only stores.
cant ever see that happening.. most manufacturers have their money = happy, no matter who gives them the cash.

If a manufacturers product needs tech knowledge,warrantee support or fitting then going with online guys is a death sentence.
and if it doesnt? everything requires *some* knowledge to install.

What will happen is companies will (and already do) create video clips of installations like are pasted all over youtube now, dozens of FAQ pages, **** like that - there are ways around "needing" staff (as you know you will never please *EVERYONE* and no matter how hard you try nothing will be perfect/foolproof). Online is where it will all end up. Sad but true

I personally see it as a very very bad thing. Crime will skyrocket as nobody will work and nobody will be able to afford anything even basic essentials like food. but they would have saved 50% on the price.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fair enough, but in the future I'm sure when you walk into a store for service on anything, the very first thing they say will be "where'd you get it from?", quickly followed by "well take it back to them sport"
The other thing I'm sure you'll see more of is manufacturers refusing to sell to online only stores. I started my first online business in 1999 ( in conjuction with a bricks and morter store) and can tell you I still wont supply to an online only store. If a manufacturers product needs tech knowledge,warrantee support or fitting then going with online guys is a death sentence. Only the most basic, idiot proof products are best served by joints that compete purely on price.
I think you're missing the point about on-line stores. There are the ebay ones that sell all sorts of things made in China, Taiwan etc, usually cheap, but often not available anywhere else and then there are the bricks and mortar stores that have an on-line presence as well, to cater for people in different states etc.

I've bought tons of stuff from B&M stores that aren't located in Vic and the service has been excellent every time, to the extent of them paying for the return of a faulty item and immediately sending back a replacement, no questions asked; and I'm talking about things like $800 lenses.

Any manufacturer that doesn't embrace on-line sales, with the same support as B&M stores, will find life very difficult indeed.

Cheers

Ray

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes just like automated systems have flattened employment in factorys.. and so on....
That's what caused some of the revolts in England in the early 19th century when the Luddites tried to destroy the mechanised factories. The wheels on the bus....?

Cheers

Ray

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Its the way of the future , wether we like it or not
Embrace it and use the technology to your business advantage or dont bother

Many ,more so lots have been killing the pig with massive and absolutely huge mark ups
Now theres some new kids on the block , with cheap prices and the bitch fight starts

There are for and against,but the arguement
"The seller doesnt know the product because they sell on line" thats just funny for words

Look at it from the manufacturers point
Rather than sell to the retailer, and get the stuff around with accounts that never get paid
They sell direct to the public via the web and actually get paid
Thats the way im headin towards for next year
Cause im over retailers in general , they mark up 100-200% and still wanna f*k me around with MY money

You would have to be a total knob nowadays to just buy the first you see,
without lookin into a purchase
Retailers its time to sharpen the pencil the 24/7 web is here and here to stay

1 - 20 of 101 Posts