Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some may have noticed I’ve been a bit absent lately! Been doing a truck load of research on a new 4WD, had to last as long as the mighty 4.2TD but with more carrying capacity. After, only a few days it became apparent that the only real option was the 79 Cruiser. So ordered a new unit the first week of January and have been dealing with Jmacx and ARB Caloundra since. Picked the rig up two weeks ago.
Straight up, very nice to drive. Had the following alterations made:
GVM 4495, coils in rear with 300mm chassis extension.
Norweld canopy
Safari Armax power upgrade
Water cooled alternator
King Shocks
PWR intercooler
ARB Linx for compressor, TPMS, rear - side - front lights
And a host of other things, it’s currently getting sound proofed and a new Alpine head unit, Sub Woofer and Speakers n all the doors installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,784 Posts
Damn traitors, buggers are breeding like rabbits ...

Just kidding mate.

I'm pretty much of the same opinion, if I don't end up buying a silverado I will be looking at a 79. There is simply nothing else out there unless you want some type of second rate tradie ute.

Enjoy.

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,008 Posts
Good one mate. At the end of the day if it suits the purpose more, then so be it (y) (y)

·
Registered
nissan
860 Posts
Impressive jigger mate. 👍👍 Like the GVM , sure you will put that to use +. TVan will look good on the back of that. 😎😎

Reactions: patrol dude

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn traitors, buggers are breeding like rabbits ...

Just kidding mate.

I'm pretty much of the same opinion, if I don't end up buying a silverado I will be looking at a 79. There is simply nothing else out there unless you want some type of second rate tradie ute.

Enjoy.
Hey DB, your right. I looked at the Silverados, Rams and everything else - the 79 was the obvious choice for our requirements with the 4495 GVM upgrade. From the research I did both the ram and Silverado can both tow chit tons - BUT - both have only approx 700Kgs of payload ability total!! This 700 Kgs has to include the occupants and any accessories you bolt to the vehicle!!!
With the 79, I can now attest that with all of the vehicle mods completed - full Jmacx extended options fitted including 185L fuel tank full of diesel, all under body control arms upgraded, 6 295/70/17 tyres and rims, ARB bull bar with brush bars and a
12,000 pound front and 10,000 pound rear winches, 2nd Optima battery Under the bonnet and two people in the 79 we weighed in at 3.72Ts. This gives us an additional 800Kgs of gear and tow ball weight to take advantage of.
With the added advantage of being able to tow up to 4Tons if required the Jmacx 79 conversion was a simple choice. Obviously having a real live front axle with double diff locks as standard and a reasonable sized V8 also helped

Currently getting the sound proofing and Doof Doof installed

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice looking rig. Can we see more of it, bit of a walkthrough if you like.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Hi mate, sure can. Standard GXL 79 Cruiser. Very basic rigs which is excellent if you want to do a project build like I am as your not paying for stuff you don’t want or need. Standard 79 comes with: no tray, a real chit stereo which is good cause you get to put a real good one in. They now come with - Cruise Control as standard ( big thing for 79s), aircon, power steering, double lockers and not much else. Toyota call them a - Military Spec vehicle. They come with the 4.5L V8 and now also a full 5 year 100,000Km warranty!!! Was only 2 years and 40,000 until 2017/18. Jmacx have a host of options to pick from as part of their upgrade - we chose pretty much everything except the front diff bracing kit - to many to list. I did also get installed the Safari Armax power upgrade with the 4” plastic Safari snorkel, Armax power module and Safari HD clutch. Their are much bigger power upgrades available in the market place - BUT - Safari give you a full 5 year warranty on the engine, gear box and transfer if you install their gear!!! Nobody else comes close to this. The Safari power module has 5 different settings with a button on the dash you press to change between the different settings. You can change at anytime while driving. Not in the same ball park as the mighty patrol, but still ok.
Now the 79s are renowned for a real chatty dodgy alternator placement, with countless issues with failing - so I had a totally sealed water cooled 150amp alternator installed fixed. In addition to this dual Warn winches with a second Optima battery with a REDARC Bcdc 50amp charger. Oil catch can, extended diff, gearbox and transfer breathers to under the bonnet. I had a ARB dual air compressor installed and connected to the ARB Linx system which is just awesome. You can have 5 preset pressures for the rear air bags - standard, box trailer, camper etc (you can name them what you want) and just press the screen and the correct tab and bang adjusted. Control all your lights, side front, rear what ever all individuality. The Linx also control the internal TPMS units and a host of other things. Like I said earlier the 79 is pretty dumb - but you can add the smarts you want to make it the rig you need and not pay for stuff you don’t need. Excellent platform to work from. Cheers

·
nissan patrol
15,784 Posts
Hey DB, your right. I looked at the Silverados, Rams and everything else - the 79 was the obvious choice for our requirements with the 4495 GVM upgrade. From the research I did both the ram and Silverado can both tow chit tons - BUT - both have only approx 700Kgs of payload ability total!! This 700 Kgs has to include the occupants and any accessories you bolt to the vehicle!!!
With the 79, I can now attest that with all of the vehicle mods completed - full Jmacx extended options fitted including 185L fuel tank full of diesel, all under body control arms upgraded, 6 295/70/17 tyres and rims, ARB bull bar with brush bars and a
12,000 pound front and 10,000 pound rear winches, 2nd Optima battery Under the bonnet and two people in the 79 we weighed in at 3.72Ts. This gives us an additional 800Kgs of gear and tow ball weight to take advantage of.
With the added advantage of being able to tow up to 4Tons if required the Jmacx 79 conversion was a simple choice. Obviously having a real live front axle with double diff locks as standard and a reasonable sized V8 also helped

Currently getting the sound proofing and Doof Doof installed

I would not buy the 1500 silverado with the petrol and 875kg payload.

The only choice for me would be the 2500 HD with 975kg payload and the 6.6lt duramax.

I am already running around in a duramax, and believe me once you have that experience you would not go back to anything else unless you really, really, really had to.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would not buy the 1500 silverado with the petrol and 875kg payload.

The only choice for me would be the 2500 HD with 975kg payload and the 6.6lt duramax.

I am already running around in a duramax, and believe me once you have that experience you would not go back to anything else unless you really, really, really had to.
Hey mate, completely understand the power dilemma - mate of mine has a duramax in his Patrol - just bull chit amount of power and Tourqu. Which is why I’ve chosen to stay away from them everything else is just very average. I did look at the Ram 2500 but it was just to big and wide for where I want to travel to - the CSR definitely illustrated that last year. Tyre placement is just critical on bush tracks and desert crossings, hence my option had to have the standard patrol / Cruiser wheel track. I think the 2500 is approx 200mm wider!!
Anyway the deals done now - just have to get all this friggin Covid19 crap out of the wat and start using it

·
nissan patrol
15,784 Posts
Hey mate, completely understand the power dilemma - mate of mine has a duramax in his Patrol - just bull chit amount of power and Tourqu. Which is why I’ve chosen to stay away from them everything else is just very average. I did look at the Ram 2500 but it was just to big and wide for where I want to travel to - the CSR definitely illustrated that last year. Tyre placement is just critical on bush tracks and desert crossings, hence my option had to have the standard patrol / Cruiser wheel track. I think the 2500 is approx 200mm wider!!
Anyway the deals done now - just have to get all this friggin Covid19 crap out of the wat and start using it

Quote; I did look at the Ram 2500 but it was just to big and wide for where I want to travel to - the CSR definitely illustrated that last year. Tyre placement is just critical on bush tracks and desert crossings.

Exactly why I might be swayed to a 79. But at 63 I have to weigh that with the fact that my bush and desert tracks may soon be a thing of the past.

Now if they would just make those damn city shopping centre parking bays wider...

Then again, I am moving to Bundaberg when the borders open and they got streets you can turn a camel train around in ... :ROFLMAO:

So much to weight up lol.

But one thing I won't be weighing up is whether to buy a RAM or not, the answer is NOT.

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Go The Knights and Blues
33,129 Posts
Haha, great minds must think alike PD..
Only today I posted in the,"if not a patrol what thread" , I posted a 79 V8 cruiser ute decked out.

I'm not a great fan of white chassis and bullbar though, but it looks ok...
Happy touring..👍

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Haha, great minds must think alike PD..
Only today I posted in the,"if not a patrol what thread" , I posted a 79 V8 cruiser ute decked out.

I'm not a great fan of white chassis and bullbar though, but it looks ok...
Happy touring..
Hi Troy, great to here from you. It’s all about compromise, I picked the vehicle and the bride picked the colour . I then picked the white bull bar, brush bars and canopy sides being painted to match. I Wanted to be different to the norm - seems to of hit the mark People surly do break their necks swinging around for a gander when we drive past Might be that V8 note from the 4” torqit exhaust

Reactions: Foo

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,089 Posts
Exactly what I'd buy if I had to choose a new fourby factoring in farm use (sometimes have to cart seed and fert)
Any plans to modify the engine? I have driven some Ex NT bushfires utes setup as personal firefighting units by our neighbours and can imagine it would disappoint after a worked TD?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Exactly what I'd buy if I had to choose a new fourby factoring in farm use (sometimes have to cart seed and fert)
Any plans to modify the engine? I have driven some Ex NT bushfires utes setup as personal firefighting units by our neighbours and can imagine it would disappoint after a worked TD?
Hi mate, at this stage just the Armax 5 stage with 4” Safari snorkel, PWR intercooler, heavy duty clutch and 4” Torqit S/S exhaust. The latest Armax power upgrade gives you 930Nm at the flywheel which probably equates to around 650Nm at the wheels. My TD currently has around 650Nm at the wheels as well - so similar torque but very different HP figures. I suspect the Cruiser will have around 190RWHP compared to the 230 the TD has. I towed a new tandem trailer (10 x 6) home from the sunny coast with it loaded with all the spare cruiser gear in it - it probably weight about 1.5T and I could real easily overtake B doubles ect on the way home.

Once the new car 5 year warranty and the Armax 5 year warranty expire - watch this space I suspect a bigger turbo and other bits will go on the list

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The guys at Rockhampton Car Sound have almost finished the sound deadening in the 79.

If you look carefully at the close up of the door panel speaker hole you will notice the extra sound deadening behind the speaker. This stops the sound waves bouncing back and canceling/ over riding the sound waves going forward Fred went on for quite a while about the importance of it the sound difference when you tap the outside skin of the door was just unbelievable A thud compared to a tink. Looking forward to some real quality tunes when it finished.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
james008
james008
·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
Joined Mar 5, 2011 · 10,682 Posts
#175 • 2 h ago
Have you got any pics of the rear suspension set up? 4495kg is a decent increase over standard GVM.
I would guess there's a bit of bracing to get a coil rear to handle that, given that the load is now taken by a bracket welded to the side of the chassis over a smaller area, rather than distributed across 2 mounts on the bottom face

Here you go mate, as you can see they cut the whole rear of the chassis off and weld in a whole new section. Brace the crap out of it.

ok so I may have spent a couple of hours under it when I got it home - let’s just say getting familiar with the new gear I may have taken just several photos after all one does need to have a library of such things should one need a reference point later on

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like how they leave the front leaf spring mount on each side.
Yeah mate, when I brought it up with them apparently it’s one of the strongest parts of the original chassis which is why they join the new bit to it. Still looks a bit

1 - 20 of 82 Posts