Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Very nice....but I'd be mounting those electricals on a piece of angle so they're pointing in the right direction, keeping the cables up higher. Just my 2c...
Yeah mate, your on to it. I’ll hook the camper up in the next few weeks and see how it all plays out. Certainly do not want any of it hanging below that facia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: GeoffA

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Packed the rear and drivers side draws with tools and recovery gear haven’t touched the big draw on the passenger side yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
pretty sweet. saw a "money don't matter" question about what car you'd like recently, and this is pretty much what i wanted. except i'd go a slightly shorter rear body with a short tray to fit my dirt bike on. driven a couple of 79's a work and wasn't hugely impressed with a few things, such as cabin space, ride when empty and doing an alternator at 6000k's. but i reckon your mods would make it very nice. done anything about the alternators not liking water?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
pretty sweet. saw a "money don't matter" question about what car you'd like recently, and this is pretty much what i wanted. except i'd go a slightly shorter rear body with a short tray to fit my dirt bike on. driven a couple of 79's a work and wasn't hugely impressed with a few things, such as cabin space, ride when empty and doing an alternator at 6000k's. but i reckon your mods would make it very nice. done anything about the alternators not liking water?
Waterproof alternator.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Hey mate, yeah had the alternator swapped out for a totally sealed water cooled 150amp unit Standard one is in the rear as a spare
Additional 300mm in the chassis with the rear coils just transformed the ride quality - mate I’d have to say it’s better than my Pooie now
I’m actually pretty happy with the cabin space and the general view while driving - a lot more view over the bonnet and the side windows are friggin huge compared to the patrols.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,926 Posts
The build is coming along very nicely mate.

Reactions: patrol dude

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Installed the centre and roof consoles and the new door arm rests. Starting to look a lot less than a farm truck now

Reactions: james008

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Installed the solar panels on the roof rack, just have to paint the aluminium with two pack black and they should blend in real good. Fitted 2 x 100 Watt panels

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Part of the Jmax build is a 185L rear tank. Like all long range tanks your fuel gauge is way out, so you have to learn how much you have left at different points. Any way, had a quick return trip from Rocky to Moranbah yesterday so thought ok, it’s around 900Ks let’s see how we go. On the return trip the fuel light come on just after Dingo, still around 150Ks to go should piss this in. Stupid back of the mind stuff starts creeping in ( you do know you sat on a $1.15 the whole way num nuts, that’s pushed up your consumption a bit!!) you know stuff like that. Any way, all good only put in 159L, so should have had theoretically another 26L available just not cool looking at the fuel light for two+ hours Averaged 18.3L/H which is OK

Reactions: Haggie

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thought this might be useful for guys looking at GVM and GCM limits. Slot an auto behind the 79, bloody impressive GCM figure of 8995KGs

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,289 Posts
Thought this might be useful for guys looking at GVM and GCM limits. Slot an auto behind the 79, bloody impressive GCM figure of 8995KGs

I'm curious... I had a look through all the pics in this thread, but I can't see the towbar tongue in any of them (only your very cool looking red recovery hook).

Am I correct in saying the towbar is a welded part of the frame extension? Did you get a tongue with the towbar? Reason for asking is that a standard 50mm towball is only rated to 3,500kg, so if they rate the vehicle for towing up to 4,495kg, you'd need at least a bigger ball.

Also, 4,495kg GVM + 4,495kg towing = 8,990kg. What's the extra 5kg for...? :unsure:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'm curious... I had a look through all the pics in this thread, but I can't see the towbar tongue in any of them (only your very cool looking red recovery hook).

Am I correct in saying the towbar is a welded part of the frame extension? Did you get a tongue with the towbar? Reason for asking is that a standard 50mm towball is only rated to 3,500kg, so if they rate the vehicle for towing up to 4,495kg, you'd need at least a bigger ball.

Also, 4,495kg GVM + 4,495kg towing = 8,990kg. What's the extra 5kg for...? :unsure:
Hey mate you are correct the tow bar is built into the rear of the chassis frame. No they do not give you a towing tounge with the upgrade.
Correct on the bigger ball size as well, a 70mm ball is rated at 4.5T. Not sure on the extra 5KGs, extra beer maybe

I did how ever buy one of these off Jmacx because I thought it was a pretty cool hitch.

Reactions: AndrieK and Haggie

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Fitted a couple of straps to the sun visors to keep them nice and close to the roof T console used just sit down an inch or so and just vibrate that little bit to annoy the piss out of ya not now
Also had a new 99% UV rated windscreen with the tint across the bottom to help stop the glare reflecting from the white bonnet.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

As a general observation, why are autos more highly rated for towing than manuals? I’ve always assumed that the manual box would be stronger. Have autos come that far? What about the lack of engine braking in an auto? Or do they all have lockup torque conversion in every gear now? I thought that was something you had to pay extra for, to get it modified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
As a general observation, why are autos more highly rated for towing than manuals? I’ve always assumed that the manual box would be stronger. Have autos come that far? What about the lack of engine braking in an auto? Or do they all have lockup torque conversion in every gear now? I thought that was something you had to pay extra for, to get it modified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old mate from Jmacx has a Utube clip out explaining it, tried to find it, but couldn’t. He says the gear boxes are OK, it’s the clutch that’s the issue. From memory I think he said even the 1300NM, was still to small and no body makes a big enough unit as there just isn’t the demand ...... yet

Reactions: andrew1964

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Started the canopy power fit out this weekend. Installed the 1st 200Amp/H Lithium, under the floor, behind the smaller front draw. Getting an Aliminium housing to encompass the 2nd 200Amp/H unit directly above the first (as per the below pic) Total 400Amp/H just because I can
Installed the modified Enerdrive Explorer unit on the head board.
Installing the 2000 Watt inverter and the 60amp 240V charger units today. Then just have to wire em up

Yep I know, bit different to the patrols set up - I spent 20 years building and modifying that array, ending up with 325 Amps of AGM house batteries that where good for 4-5 days of camping. I suspect the new Lithium set up should give me at least a week of ZERO PUCKS GIVEN on power consumption

Reactions: Marko_SJ and rgren2

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The 2000 Watt Inveter just fitted above the Explorer unit

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thought I would put some permanent labels on stuff before I forget what they did

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,832 Posts
Nice

Reactions: Marko_SJ
41 - 60 of 83 Posts