Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that saw the first part, heres the follow up 12mths later.

About The Program
The bigger the drought, the bigger the flood. That certainly held true over the past year for the eastern half of Australia, with flooding rains ending the worst drought in history. The signs that the weather was turning began in 2009, when a deluge in the tropical north set the great desert rivers flowing through Central Australia. For the first time in years, the water flowed all the way to Lake Eyre, the huge salt pan in the dead heart of the continent. ABC TV reporter Paul Lockyer covered the drought in 2009, and now returns to Lake Eyre 12 months later to investigate the floods sweeping across much of south-west Queensland. The deluge was delivered by a series of tropical lows which swept through the middle of Australia.

ABC Television | The complete TV guide for ABC1, ABC2, ABC3, ABC News24 & ABC iView

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Yes, I rushed up there in 2009, thinking this might not happen again for 15 years.

Don't think I needed to rush really!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I rushed up there in 2009, thinking this might not happen again for 15 years.

Don't think I needed to rush really!
I might rush back in a few weeks when the Qld water gets there... wasnt too full when I got there last yr

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts
Hoping for June/July too. Anyone done the scenic flight from William Creek, sounds like the way to get a good look at it.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
looking at September. Good time to go?

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Hoping for June/July too. Anyone done the scenic flight from William Creek, sounds like the way to get a good look at it.
Friends went with their two kids. Reckons it's the best way to see it. Mate spewed on the plane though lol.

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts
Friends went with their two kids. Reckons it's the best way to see it. Mate spewed on the plane though lol.
Thanks for that mate, will give Wrightair a call a couple of days ahead just to be sure,

Tonka, we did Brisbane/Cooper Pedy in 4 days via Innamincka. That was pretty well constant driving (daylight only) with no sightseeing. Road conditions were pretty good, would take longer if their cut up and crappy.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vince has some Vid footage of when they went up there with Richo... yep, IMWO the only way to see it is by plane..

Just lube up massively when you ask how much the "Joy" flight is....

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Thanks for that mate, will give Wrightair a call a couple of days ahead just to be sure,

Tonka, we did Brisbane/Cooper Pedy in 4 days via Innamincka. That was pretty well constant driving (daylight only) with no sightseeing. Road conditions were pretty good, would take longer if their cut up and crappy.
Whats so amazing about this place that you would drive 4 days for?

must be special

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts

must be special
It is very special, can be bone dry for 10 to 20 years then an inland sea, Pelicans by the thousands find their way there and go into breeding mode sometimes going through up to 3 cycles while the food and water lasts, then its crash and burn. Amazing stuff, nature at its best and worst all at the same time.

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts

must be special
Don't know how much remote area driving you have done, but trust me it's magic. I have family in Darwin and we spend a couple of months there every year during the dry season. Always try to go a different track, but running out of options lol. Last year we did the Cape on the way up and the Laura races, and came home via the Plenty Hwy, Birdsville etc.

Last time we travelled the track to Cooper Pedy Lake Eyre was dry, so would really like to see it this trip, as it could be 20yrs before it happens again. Also have never managed to get to Coongee Lakes, so that's on the agenda this year too.

My rig has only done around 1,000km since we arrived back in September, as it isn't the daily driver, so it needs a good run to blow the cobwebs out. Ha Ha

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts
Yep, we're looking at going in June/July holidays too. Any idea how much the joy flight is?
Tony
Just go to the Wrightair website, it's all on there. Prices start at $250 pp for an hour, so as Truckster mentioned its pretty exy. Have to balance that against the fact that the opportunity doesn't come along to often I guess.

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
Tonka I use to do 600km for a Steak Sandwich....but they do make a Good Steak Sandwich at William Creek. Had a deal with a mate of mine he pays for the Bourbon I pay for the diesel easy and a good day out to boot.

we use to take my Patrol as he has the 4.8 and man that thing can drink.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
589 Posts
Lake Eyre Sth. has 1.5 mtr of water in it currently, complements of the the Qld cyclone. I think there is still more water coming down. I think 2011 will be very good. The Lake Eyre Yacht Club is a good sight to check for water levels and flows into the lake.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I want to go this year,

But not by helicopter!

RIP Boys, condolences to the concerned families and friends.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts