Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,336 Posts
This vacsol setup is just a nice free addition to a remap which gets rid of all the other limits the ECU puts on performance.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,050 Posts
Evolution Tuning has been doing well with CRD and would be a good option. A few kms involved travelling from Sydney (your choice) but best to do your mods first.

What eng mods are you thinking of and what stage are are at?
Doing mods yourself to save some dollars?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,823 Posts
None as yet, but fabwitz snorkel, millweld airbox, eclipse turbo, pdi intercooler, exhaust and maybe plus 50 injectors if needed

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
None as yet, but fabwitz snorkel, millweld airbox, eclipse turbo, pdi intercooler, exhaust and maybe plus 50 injectors if needed

So you have all mods as quoted except for the +50 injectors?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
OK then, do your mods fist before tune, all sounds good and as you say may not need +50injectors. Not sure if Mill (Milweld) is still doing his airbox. I have similar set up stock injectors moderate tune nom 135 kW/520N-m. Not Eclipse but H/F Procharge and PDI FM cooler. Go chasing greater than 200hp may have issues with head bolt elongation(stretch).

Chris is familar with this gear as U probably realise.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,823 Posts
OK then, do your mods fist before tune, all sounds good and as you say may not need +50injectors. Not sure if Mill (Milweld) is still doing his airbox. I have similar set up stock injectors moderate tune nom 135 kW/520N-m. Not Eclipse but H/F Procharge and PDI FM cooler. Go chasing greater than 200hp may have issues with head bolt elongation(stretch).

Chris is familar with this gear as U probably realise.
That's why I think it be worth the drive up, I have to chase up millweld to see if are they are or not.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,336 Posts

Personally I would not go +50% if I was doing it again, I'd go +30%, adjusting fuel down low on a moderate tune can be problematic, that was why I stayed away from +90% which I had been considering.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,823 Posts
Personally I would not go +50% if I was doing it again, I'd go +30%, adjusting fuel down low on a moderate tune can be problematic, that was why I stayed away from +90% which I had been considering.
Ok awesome

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,336 Posts

Just to add. John mentions being carefull if your looking for 200+hp (why that is needed on a ZD30 for a daily still baffles me), I would add another parameter, subjecting the 'std' engine to continuous high boost, by this I mean if you have a turbo capable of it, every psi above 25-26psi comes with an increasing risk to studs and head gasket, etc.
My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
I have had my 2013 model remapped by ECPT on the dyno.
They wound my needle valve completely closed, so it doesn't matter if I am doing 50kmh or 120kmh, I am basically at max boost around 20-21psi. Thinking that I should possibly remove the Tillix and needle valve, or possibly leave the tillix, and go back to the standard boost solenoid. I am guzzling fuel at 16-17lph and I attribute this to constant hight boost.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,336 Posts
They wound my needle valve completely closed, so it doesn't matter if I am doing 50kmh or 120kmh, I am basically at max boost around 20-21psi. Thinking that I should possibly remove the Tillix and needle valve, or possibly leave the tillix, and go back to the standard boost solenoid. I am guzzling fuel at 16-17lph and I attribute this to constant hight boost.

Thoughts?
I would, I tested this extensivly on my DI after the remap using my dawes to simply control max boost with vacsol doing the rest. The CRD has much better control than any DI after a remap, so you may not need the tillix, worth a try, even so you will experience much improved driveabilty, I would leave he needle connected so you can use it at cruising speed on the highway, very handy.

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
The CRD has much better control than any DI after a remap, you will experience much improved driveabilty, I would leave he needle connected so you can use it at cruising speed on the highway, very handy.
So you are saying I should remove the Tillix, and just use stock VACSOL and run a needle valve?
I am a little confused. Shouldn't I run the Tillix to limit my max boost, then the VACSOL will handle the rest?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,336 Posts
So you are saying I should remove the Tillix, and just use stock VACSOL and run a needle valve?
I am a little confused. Shouldn't I run the Tillix to limit my max boost, then the VACSOL will handle the rest?
I know of CRD's that are controllng boost well without a tillix or dawes, but not all do, worth a try, if it doesnt work simply use the tillix for max control and vacsol to control the 'nicely dancing' VNT. I would leave the needle inline T'd right at the VNT and keep it in cab for cruising as I said earlier.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
This is one of the options that @geeyoutoo is suggesting. Give this a go, adjust Tillix to give the max boost 20-21psi in line with ECPT tune.. Gives you a starting point, see how she runs and then remove Tillix and use the vac sol only to compare but watch the max boost level as it may want to go 25psi. I would run it without the needle valve. Plenty of same diagram around this was close to hand(this thread).

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
974 Posts

Thoughts?
bo back to vac sol hands down. love my patrol so much more with the vac sol. you will get the response of needle closed with the economy of needle open.

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
bo back to vac sol hands down. love my patrol so much more with the vac sol. you will get the response of needle closed with the economy of needle open.
So are you running Tillix/Dawes valve at all? Or back to completely stock solenoid setup?

I'm assuming that the ECU is now programmed to run 21psi so I shouldn't need the Tillix to regulate it?

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
974 Posts
So are you running Tillix/Dawes valve at all? Or back to completely stock solenoid setup?

I'm assuming that the ECU is now programmed to run 21psi so I shouldn't need the Tillix to regulate it?
Edit: there's a lot of different ideas being floated in this thread. So this is what I've got which works a treat on a 2015 CRD mail order choon remapped by Harley.

I have the Dawes still running with the vac sol to set boost level. No needle. I havent found the need for the needle as Geeyou has suggested as Harley's remap drops the boost away as soon as the load drops off or the revs increase and the ECU tweaks the vacuum in a far more responsive manner than I can.

I dont know what Harley would have set up on yours (if Harley was still at ECPT at that time) but mine was apparently set to 25PSI or so. I said to him that I wanted to run ECU boost control so that was specified explicitely for the tune.

Basically I just reconnected the vacuum lines to their original spots plus Dawes valve and everything worked as (better than) Nissan intended. Full spool all the times setups such as a Dawes/Tillix had their place a few years back. Now as we know more about the VNTs we can see they arent ideal.

There are unfortunately tuners who say vacsol VNT management cant be done but I encourage anyone with a remapped CRD or even DI to try getting it to work...

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,336 Posts
The issue with the DI as I documented in my build thread a couple of years ago is sections of the ECU looking for confirmation of EGR action, this causes some erratic behaviour with boost, short lived, but still erratic, with a manual it occurs in 5th gear at speeds above 100kph, the CRD does not have this issue, the DI ECU is a mongrel compared to the CRD, this is one reason some tuners dropped out of doing DI remaps.

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
So I swapped back to the VacSol but left the Tillix in the system.
Driveability, I would say has improved. EGT seems lower too.

Haven't had a chance to test on the highway yet.
I have noticed a little bit of boost needle bounce around 60ish in 4th gear though?

101 - 120 of 152 Posts