Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts
Maybe I'm the exception that proves the rule?? I dont know 😔. I did leave the vacsol connected over a couple of days but it was soooooooo frustrating to drive. Its was an absolute pleasure to drive again once I reinstated the manual boost control.

I originally thought that maybe it was something only the most clever tuners got right (like Harley) but I have seen an email from him declaring he has more crd's needing manual boost control after tuning than those that can continue to use the vacsol successfully. This has also been confirmed from another tuner aswell.
So it seems this forum has a skewed view on the success of the vacsol after tuning, probably because those people happily post up their results while the rest of us sulk in the corner🤔
Anyways I just want to reassure all those guys and girls that cant successfully continue to run the OEM vacsol that there are plenty of others out there in the same boat and that they are not 'lone rangers' in this quest. It's not something they did in setting up their vehicle or something their choice of tuner couldn't get right.
I remember years ago with the DI and discussions Chaz, Whitie and myself had revealing how different some DI's reacted to certain mods, it was as though no two were alike, I suppose when you look at tolerances built into componentry there could be a hidden explanation there that may carry over to the CRD, but, the CRD was certainly a more stable base than the old DI ever was.
I know doing this to mine was a game changer and except for that annoying little 'bug' I would still have it but that is what set me on another successful path, but still with a 'vacsol' so the VNT would dance to the tune of environmental conditions.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,575 Posts
I remember years ago with the DI and discussions Chaz, Whitie and myself had revealing how different some DI's reacted to certain mods, it was as though no two were alike, I suppose when you look at tolerances built into componentry there could be a hidden explanation there that may carry over to the CRD, but, the CRD was certainly a more stable base than the old DI ever was.
I know doing this to mine was a game changer and except for that annoying little 'bug' I would still have it but that is what set me on another successful path, but still with a 'vacsol' so the VNT would dance to the tune of environmental conditions.
That had me thinking the other night. Has anyone tried a vacsol from a CRD on a Di?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts
That had me thinking the other night. Has anyone tried a vacsol from a CRD on a Di?
As far as I know they are the same, I tried several on mine to see if the issue was internal, not sure what models they came from, even dismantled, cleaned and reassembled a couple but strange little hiccup continued, which lead me to believe the issue was ECU related.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,938 Posts
A point of interest to consider. Some will know i have set many actuators probably more than any tuner would have but i set them on a piece of equipment that is designed to set VNT turbo's. With vac actuator cans there is considerable variations from actuator to actuator most are pretty close at moving the correct amount with the tune spec set by garret for Nissan or maybe its the other way around i don't know. Any way some of them are very difficult to get in spec.

Knowing this, it would suggest to me that much of this noted difference in turbo's or their performance can be attributed to the actuator more so than ECU or the VAC solenoid maybe. OEM's or the engineers that design these systems always suggest the vac system is ok but doesn't have the control where its needed so they have to fug the ECU to get a compromise compared to a electronic hella stepper motor controlled VNT. To me its a cost driven thing with 4x4's or the premise of the vac system being more reliable maybe.

Just a thought to consider.

Also added to that it is very rare to find a OEM turbo that tolerances less or more could effect a turbo's transition performance. I have tested a lot of turbo's on a turbo dyno and there is no evidence to support that idea so far, that doesn't mean it isn't possible..

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
429 Posts
Just did a quick write up on my experience swapping back to Tillix + Vacsol from Tillix + Needle on my CRD.

Initial impressions are fantastic.
Cruise boost at 100 down from 21 to 13, fuel economy improved, quieter cabin, boost still comes on when I need it.

Mark me as another convert

Have a read for those interested

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
959 Posts
I almost ordered one before the discussion regarding two needles began.
I feel like emp is released quite well with the two needle setup too.
My tuner mentioned that eclipse is concerned about EMP not being released with the standard tillix and needle. He said they are much happier with the 2 needle setup.

Sorry to highjack your thread @jackbyo
Just to take this out of Jack's thread.

I know the big guy at Eclipse says that. I'd like to know the theory at how it can dump EMP at liftoff

I can see that due to the progressive nature of the vane opening it doesn't allow it to become as much as an issue and vanes are half opened already once turbo has revved up.

However, it's still just a bleed system from the vacuum pump to the VNT diaphragm. I don't see how this can actively set the vanes open once pedal lift occurs.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,129 Posts
Just to take this out of Jack's thread.

I know the big guy at Eclipse says that. I'd like to know the theory at how it can dump EMP at liftoff

I can see that due to the progressive nature of the vane opening it doesn't allow it to become as much as an issue and vanes are half opened already once turbo has revved up.

However, it's still just a bleed system from the vacuum pump to the VNT diaphragm. I don't see how this can actively set the vanes open once pedal lift occurs.
My guess is this

With the tillix set at such a low point, perhaps when you lift the pedal, there is still enough boost bleeding into the vaccuum (via the tillix) to open the vanes further (or keep the vanes open)?

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
429 Posts
My guess is this

With the tillix set at such a low point, perhaps when you lift the pedal, there is still enough boost bleeding into the vaccuum (via the tillix) to open the vanes further (or keep the vanes open)?
Not sure I know what I’m talking about here, but my experience going from needle to vacsol is that the RPMs were being “held” up when foot lifts off the pedal for a moment longer. On the vacsol, lifting foot off the pedal drops the RPM immediately back down to idle.
It was immediately noticeable due to the sound difference when driving.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,129 Posts
Not sure I know what I’m talking about here, but my experience going from needle to vacsol is that the RPMs were being “held” up when foot lifts off the pedal for a moment longer. On the vacsol, lifting foot off the pedal drops the RPM immediately back down to idle.
It was immediately noticeable due to the sound difference when driving.
Is that from dawes/Tillix and 1 needle?

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,129 Posts
Correct. I had a traditional tillix + needle setup before, now tillix + vacsol
Remapped CRD
I think what you have noticed is to be expected then.
With a single needle and tillix, as accelerator is lifted, boost drops,Tillis closes,no boost bleed into vac line, actuator receives full vaccuum and lifts vane lever up to stop. closing vanes, increasing back pressure/EMP.

That's my logic of it anyway. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong🙂

141 - 152 of 152 Posts